Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

1 hour ago, DoubleStraps said:

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, New England native, and person with lots of Boston connections*, I wildly disagree that this is a "CITY OF BOSTON" uniform that the Red Sox were wearing. There's quite possibly nothing more BOSTON to a Bostonian than the uniforms that the Red Sox traditionally wear. Of course the Marathon in a big deal, but the idea that this uniform was at all some sort of nod to the city and its tradition is.... well, it's just wrong. I don't know how else to say it. This was not a uniform that represents Boston. It was a uniform that represented a Nike merchandising and marketing scheme. Full stop.

*I can't say I'm a Bostonian because I've never lived in the city proper. I mean, I COULD, but I would feel like a liar.

It would be nice if nike had a shred of humility like you and admitted that their abominations were rooted in growing revenue as the primary goal.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Quillz said:

So does this mean the Yankees and Mets will wear the same City Connect uniform? What about the Dodgers and Angels?

If Nike had their druthers they'd probably be pushing for borough themed uniforms, especially considering the success they've had with the Nets. I'm just picturing a Bronx Bombers themed set for the Yankees.

Considering Magic Johnson's connection to the Dodgers maybe they'll have a forum blue & gold colour scheme. I see imagine the Angels pulling out an interlocking OC cap.

8 hours ago, Quillz said:

So does this mean the Yankees and Mets will wear the same City Connect uniform? What about the Dodgers and Angels?

Nike logic will have "city connect" meaning the Yankees will be in Knicks (winks) colors of blue and orange

4 hours ago, DoubleStraps said:

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, New England native, and person with lots of Boston connections*, I wildly disagree that this is a "CITY OF BOSTON" uniform that the Red Sox were wearing. There's quite possibly nothing more BOSTON to a Bostonian than the uniforms that the Red Sox traditionally wear. Of course the Marathon in a big deal, but the idea that this uniform was at all some sort of nod to the city and its tradition is.... well, it's just wrong. I don't know how else to say it. This was not a uniform that represents Boston. It was a uniform that represented a Nike merchandising and marketing scheme. Full stop.

*I can't say I'm a Bostonian because I've never lived in the city proper. I mean, I COULD, but I would feel like a liar.

Somebody brought that up earlier in this thread. Some baseball uniforms, specifically the hats, are ostensibly symbols of the city already.

Like the Red Sox's B or the olde English D of the Tigers or the Yankees and Mets interlocking NY (mostly the Yanks though). I'd argue the Dodgers LA, the Giants SF and the Braves A could also be included.

(Assuming all those hats are in the standard colours though, because yes the City Connect Sox hat still uses the B, but it's not the same)

I already said that, in theory, I'm a fan of the idea of this City Connect program, but by coming out with new jerseys and hats in an attempt to connect to city, it's almost creating a disconnect in a way.

IEI5Tg1.png

What's scary here is there are still people out there who honestly believe that this was some kind of one-off experiment. C'mon, do they not understand the door has been opened? My local sports radio talked about this and said "yeah they were goofy, but at least we won't see them again." Uh... No. It's just getting started.

The Yellow Sox uniforms seem to, unfortunately, be a hit amongst the local yokels. I guess maybe a combo of “flames” culture, but also cleverly enough, they target the sizeable segment of Boston suburbanites who still try to score tragedy points off of the Marathon bombing. I saw a public Facebook account of some local fame post about them dismissively and get brutally shouted down by townies of all ages.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

remember the "city" uniforms arent for "US" they're for everyone else. there's no harm in these even existing. theyre's 162 games in a season. these arent being worn every game. please just think before you post on things like this. cause some of yall look stupid

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

58 minutes ago, Digby said:

The Yellow Sox uniforms seem to, unfortunately, be a hit amongst the local yokels. I guess maybe a combo of “flames” culture, but also cleverly enough, they target the sizeable segment of Boston suburbanites who still try to score tragedy points off of the Marathon bombing. I saw a public Facebook account of some local fame post about them dismissively and get brutally shouted down by townies of all ages.

The average sports merch consumer will eat up anything you put in front of them. The Yankees could do a red and green Christmas uniform in the middle of July and it would sell like hotcakes. Don't ever look for low merch sales as a saving grace from this stuff because it's never gonna happen

On 4/22/2021 at 3:06 PM, LA_Angels said:

https://twitter.com/Pantone294/status/1383101625544241153?s=20

I’m trying to be optimistic, but things like this make me sad. Sorry I don't know how to embed tweets in posts. 

To imbed you need to paste it as plain text - when you paste the address you’ll see a line underneath it

“Pasted as rich text.  Paste as plain text instead”.

Click on that link and presto!  You’ve embedded a tweet. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

To imbed you need to paste it as plain text - when you paste the address you’ll see a line underneath it

Click on that link and presto!  You’ve embedded a tweet. 

Wow a black jersey!!! Putting Los in front of an American team name!!! This sounds like this design is very inspired by the diversity of the city, no way they are just using lazy trends and ethnic tropes to move merch.

10 hours ago, guest23 said:

Wow a black jersey!!! Putting Los in front of an American team name!!! This sounds like this design is very inspired by the diversity of the city, no way they are just using lazy trends and ethnic tropes to move merch.

Well since it’s a proper noun that is how it would be translated into Spanish. 

On 4/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, Digby said:

Guess at the end of the day this is who the City uniforms are created for. Most here will freak out and act like the world is ending. But if people in Boston like them and money is made, mission accomplished. 

Archived