2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

Why is it called the Majestic-XII anyway, when there are 34 members? What does XII represent; the founding fathers of CCSLC posting glory?

Why is it called the Big 12 Conference when it only has 10 member schools? Why is the Big Ten called the Big Ten when it has more than ten? Some things you just shrug off.

Why do people hate Lebron? Let me explain...

VDNZBoX.png

People hate LeBron because he completely ****ed up the PR related to his signing with Miami. The only way he could've made it worse was to go all Riddick Bowe during "the Decision," toss his Cavaliers jersey into a trash can, then piss on it. If he returns to Cleveland, it'll be in part in an attempt to rectify that.

"There's not a doubt in my mind that I'm not going to win a championship. I'm going to win multiple championships. It's not a doubt in my mind."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31472075

Well, two is a multiple... :)

nav-logo.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There's not a doubt in my mind that I'm not going to win a championship. I'm going to win multiple championships. It's not a doubt in my mind."

Thanks. That vaguely rings a bell now. Still, it's two knee surgeries ago. People generally excuse injuries as an unfortunate reason for falling short of expectations.

Losing on the court after such grand proclamations? Not so much. That said...

Without the preseason title celebration with the "not 7" quote, people would likely be more appreciative of what LeBron accomplished on the court in his four Heat seasons.

And both Rose and LeBron can still end up being right. That's why I hate judging careers vefore they are over.

Strangely enough, the thing that contributes most to appreciating the Heat's accomplishments might actually be the Finals loss to Dallas. It was looking like they were going to tear through the league for the 2011 title (won 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, and were up 2-1). The loss kind of dampened the anger that they had stacked the deck. The "earned not given" slogan Nike came up with after 2012's win would have rang very hollow, I think, if they started to win it all right away.

What the hell is he supposed to say? "I'd like to win a championship, maybe two, but I'm just not sure I see it in the cards for me."

Knock this crap off. That is completely ridiculous to blast him for saying what he said.

Yeah, it's obvious that Rose was kidding about winning 2, and James was making a solemn oath to win 8.

The players, as people, of the NBA that are pointed to as being preferable to James are so funny to me.

PJU85JF.png

I'm not sure what Derrick Rose has to do with LeBron James. James said he'd win eight championships with the Heat. That was a stupid thing to say. You're allowed to both like him as a player and admit to that.

"There's not a doubt in my mind that I'm not going to win a championship. I'm going to win multiple championships. It's not a doubt in my mind."http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31472075

I'm not sure what Derrick Rose has to do with LeBron James. James said he'd win eight championships with the Heat. That was a stupid thing to say. You're allowed to both like him as a player and admit to that.
But that wouldn't fit with his agenda of peeving everyone off with his obsessive Lebron worship.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I think guaranteeing championships is stupid, period. I've never liked how Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame essentially for making a guarantee and being lucky that his team backed it up for him. Meanwhile, Namath didn't even throw a touchdown pass or any passes at all in the 4th. I'm just also annoyed by the hypocrisy that surrounds so many of the given reasons for why LeBron is hated so much.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

LeBron will be back in Las Vegas tonight, I guess he has a camp in progress there.

...and guess who showed up...

----

Hearing that the rumored time of The Announcement should be around 11pm ET? There's also loose rumors of 6 Nike-commissioned billboards around the Cleveland area but I wouldn't put much stock in them.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's one thing to defend your 2nd coming of LeMoses. But between using this to conjugate hate towards Rose, and stating that what high school and yet-from-his-1st-NBA-game Kobe did in 1996 was a bajillion times worse than LeBron's Decision, just stop. Please.

It's one thing to defend your 2nd coming of LeMoses. But between using this to conjugate hate towards Rose, and stating that what high school and yet-from-his-1st-NBA-game Kobe did in 1996 was a bajillion times worse than LeBron's Decision, just stop. Please.

1. There's no issue stating that you have no doubt you're going to win a championship. If you don't think that, then you'll never win anything (unless you're just "a guy" who happens to be on a great team.) You want your good players to have that kind of confidence.

2. The "decision" was terrible. Keep in mind he's a 25 year old kid (or around that). I think that people expect athletes to act like grown azz mature professional people, when in reality they're just children with lots of money and time on their hands (and no education.) Now, he has advisors, and at the end of the day it falls on him. That was a mistake on his part. A huge mistake.

3. I've stated numerous times in this thread why there's nothing wrong with what Kobe did.

People just want to hate people who are good at stuff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't have any problems with LeBron and Rose or any star athlete that says that they're going to win championships. In Lebron's case, he was at a pep rally (of sorts). What do you want them to say....."Well, I hope to win a championship at some point, but it's cool if we don't"?

My disdain with LeBron comes from his part in "The Decision" and his laundry-list of requirements whenever he goes on the road.

I don't begrudge a player saying he'll win championships. I want them to believe that every single year.

Lebron earned his derision from "The Decision". He got bad advice there. But I share a generous helping of the same derision for ESPN, his managers and everyone responsible. He's just the highest-profile individual involved, so he gets the lion's share. He wants the plaudits and attention, he can take the lumps with it.

My disdain with LeBron comes from his part in "The Decision" and his laundry-list of requirements whenever he goes on the road.

Visiting athletes get riders? That's surprising. I always imagined that the visiting team's locker room was made to be as uncomfortable as would be allowable.

I don't get the problem with the Decision, except for its length. Given all the nonsense that's going on now, LeBron saying "I'll be on SportsCenter at 9PM, and that'll be that" doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world.

I never cared for how he seems to believe that he and his childhood friends deserve power roles within the organization for which he plays. I found out today that he actually decided when the Cavs' team plane would take off when he was there. I mean ... wow.

PJU85JF.png

Random Clevelander on the radio says that LeBron and an army of SUVs has arrived via private jet at an airport near Cleveland. No credibility to the story at all, but it's a thing to wet your beaks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Has any high-profile athlete ever chosen Cleveland? Just off the top of my head, I can't think of the Browns or Indians signing anyone big.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

twitter

Has any high-profile athlete ever chosen Cleveland? Just off the top of my head, I can't think of the Browns or Indians signing anyone big.

I know all worthwhile NFL coaching candidates stayed clear of Cleveland, but that might have been more of a Browns problem then a Cleveland problem. I remember the Indians being quite good in the 90s though. I'm not sure how that team was built, but I would assume some free agent worth something would have had to have chosen the Indians over someone else, right?

It's hard to remember, but other than Jim THome (who left, even though they offered to name part of the stadium for him), I can think of Carlos Baerga, Kenny Lofton, at least one Alomar, and... that's about it. Not sure how they was all acquired.

I know all worthwhile NFL coaching candidates stayed clear of Cleveland, but that might have been more of a Browns problem then a Cleveland problem. I remember the Indians being quite good in the 90s though. I'm not sure how that team was built, but I would assume some free agent worth something would have had to have chosen the Indians over someone else, right?

Well, the Browns have been able to get a few free agents in the past, most notably this guy:

Garcia may have been OK in SF, Tampa, and Philly, but he was a big bust for the Browns.

Archived