College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

The Steelers are the only team that looks good with a logo on 1 side of the helmet, because there was a reason for it. Now it's just to be unique and kewl just like every other college team hoping recruits are wowed because of the team's inability to put he same gosh darn logo on both sides of the helmet.

What's the reason for it now? I could understand being cheap and putting only one logo on one side of the helmet 60 years ago but why not today?

Tradition

spacer.png

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Steelers are the only team that looks good with a logo on 1 side of the helmet, because there was a reason for it. Now it's just to be unique and kewl just like every other college team hoping recruits are wowed because of the team's inability to put he same gosh darn logo on both sides of the helmet.

What's the reason for it now? I could understand being cheap and putting only one logo on one side of the helmet 60 years ago but why not today?
To honor the steelworkers of Pittsburgh who had the steel company's logo on only one side of their helmets.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Maybe Illinois will have navy jerseys this year. Someone posted this on Illinois Loyalty today. Apparently there is an updated version of Illinois's navy jersey on display at their facilities. They changed the number outlines from navy to orange. They didn't fix the sleeve stripes though.

Before:

a3IaTzo.jpg

1JUerCH.jpg

After:

TEDdiuc.jpg

I figured they would if they wanted them. That story of not having enough in their Nike budget didn't make sense to me at all, since football uniforms are typically not part of a school's "budget."

The navy tops for Illinois look good. I don't hate the San Jose State lid, though I agree it's not perfect either.

I don't know why I like the 'Runners helmet, but I like it. Pretty clean.

And stripe quirks aside, I love that Murray helmet. Gold cage would be better, but still...pretty sexy for a program like the Racers.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

That blue Illinois helmet is perfect. I absolutely love the striping on it.

It drives me crazy the striping on the navy helmet jersey and pants don't match. The striping on the helmet is orange/white/orange. The striping on the jersey and pants is orange/navy/orange. There's a similar issue on their orange helmet, jersey and pants. The striping on the pants doesn't match the helmet and jersey.

To honor the steelworkers of Pittsburgh who had the steel company's logo on only one side of their helmets.

That's not the reason.

The real reason is the equipment manager wanted to try a logo on the helmet for one game to see how it looked. The Steelers won the game, and the tradition stuck.

Has nothing to do with money or honoring steelworkers who wore it on one side (which sounds completely made up).

http://www.steelers.com/history/logo-history.html

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That's not the reason.

The real reason is the equipment manager wanted to try a logo on the helmet for one game to see how it looked. The Steelers won the game, and the tradition stuck.

Has nothing to do with money or honoring steelworkers who wore it on one side (which sounds completely made up).

Huh, didn't know that. Honoring the steelworkers was the story I heard. Turns out I was wrong, good to know , thanks for the info!

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

That's not the reason.

Huh, didn't know that. Honoring the steelworkers was the story I heard. Turns out I was wrong, good to know , thanks for the info!

Urban legends sure are fun to believe though!

New turf going in at the Alamodome for UTSA. The white outline around the endzone wordmark helps it pop a lot more. The previous midfield logo and endzone wordmark were painted on the existing alamodome turf and would be scrubbed off for other football games. This looks to be a removeable endzone that permanently has the UTSA wordmark on it.

New

10534080_635468953216432_387196312583002

Old

IMG_0949.jpg

The state of new college football uniforms is really in shambles at this point. Only bright spot I've seen lately is Toledo.

My thoughts as well.

We can rest easy though that the following will never alter their classics:

Alabama

Auburn

Penn State

LSU

Southern Cal

Texas

Ohio State

OU

UGA

Notre Dame

Plus we have teams who've reverted to older styles in Colorado, K-State and BYU.

Hopefully Michigan and Nebraska will drop Adidas and keep their traditional sets.

All the other teams can experiment all the want. The traditionals will keep racking titles.

Sadly, that was said about Oklahoma and then they brought out those alternates. Besides, several of those other teams have worn alternates that, while not infringing on the quality of their primary designs, really make me concerned.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I think alternates are still separate from full-time uniforms.

Yes, the Oklahoma alts are pretty bad, but most games they'll look as good as always. Same goes for questionable alts from Ohio St, and LSU, and Texas' horrendous practice jerseys. These teams can experiment in other ways without changing their regular home and away looks.

Alabama

Auburn

Penn State

LSU

Southern Cal

Texas

Ohio State

OU

UGA

Notre Dame

Most of those teams have already altered their classics numerous times.

I think the poster making this point was discounting alts and one offs. If you only consider primary uniforms, its basically true. (it would also depend on your definition of "altered".)

Alabama

Auburn

Penn State

LSU

Southern Cal

Texas

Ohio State

OU

UGA

Notre Dame

I think the poster making this point was discounting alts and one offs. If you only consider primary uniforms, its basically true.

And as long as these teams minor adjustments don't completely throw away the timelessness of their uniforms, I see no problem with minor changes.

Alabama

Auburn

Penn State

LSU

Southern Cal

Texas

Ohio State

OU

UGA

Notre Dame

There's a difference from altering and changing completely.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived