Unpopular Opinions

"Miami Marlins" is much better: it's alliterative

This would be true if they were the Manchester Marlins. In Miami, the vowels are much more dominant than the M, so the alliteration loses its effect.

Florida Marlins just sounds better, any way you pronounce it. Flor-da Marlins, Flor-ih-da Marlins, Flar-da Marlins, Flar-ih-da Marlins.

This would be true if they were the Manchester Marlins. In Miami, the vowels are much more dominant than the M, so the alliteration loses its effect.

Florida Marlins just sounds better, any way you pronounce it. Flor-da Marlins, Flor-ih-da Marlins, Flar-da Marlins, Flar-ih-da Marlins.

Exactly. Sometimes alliterations aren't the way to go.

I really don't see how either "Miami Marlins" or "Florida Marlins" is inherently better then the other. I think the preference for "Florida Marlins" comes from the fact that they were that for so long that it seems like the "right" choice to most of us.

They may have been the only team in Florida at the time, but they haven't been for close to twenty years. Who knows what the case will be in five more. For now though? "Miami Marlins" as a name works just fine.

Whether or not the current identity works? That's something else all together.

• Like 1

I really don't see how either "Miami Marlins" or "Florida Marlins" is inherently better then the other. I think the preference for "Florida Marlins" comes from the fact that they were that for so long that it seems like the "right" choice to most of us.

Right, exactly. If the two states of the southern Mid-Atlantic were North Snorg and South Snorg, I would still get crap for saying that the NFL team should be the Charlotte Panthers, I mean we have the Charlotte Hornets and that sounds good, so Charlotte Panthers sounds fine too. But people would say that they're the Snorg Panthers, that's just what they are, and besides, you need to make sure people in South Snorg don't feel left out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I mostly hate "Miami Marlins" because it ushered in that disaster of a rebrand.

Disaster is putting it mildly... The team is just another example of getting an identity right the first time. Still, Miami' Marlins is a better sounding name overall.

...I disliked "California Angels" because there were clearly other teams in California...

They were renamed California Angels because at the time they were the only AL team in the state of California. Of course that changed four years later...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

To me it always feels like I have marbles in my mouth when I attempt to say it, but I get what you're saying. lol.

Colorado Rockies always sounds perfect.

"Miami Marlins" is much better: it's alliterative, more specific, and ties in with the historical minor-league team.

All state names other than Minnesota are awful. Multi-state names (New England, Carolina) are even more awful. No, Kraft Productions, you're not from six different states at once.

EDIT: will wait for WSU151 to tell me that they are from six different states at once

We are all Patriots!

"Miami Marlins" is much better: it's alliterative, more specific, and ties in with the historical minor-league team.

All state names other than Minnesota are awful. Multi-state names (New England, Carolina) are even more awful. No, Kraft Productions, you're not from six different states at once.

EDIT: will wait for WSU151 to tell me that they are from six different states at once

I agree with you.Miami Marlins sounds better,IMO,but state names are awful like the Clippers logo.

Also,why call the Patriots from New England?Just should have kept the Boston name,or the unpopular 1-month "Bay State Patriots" name in 1970.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Because of what today is, I'm bringing back my unrealistic love for this jersey set/logo.

kel_zoom.jpg

Don't have a clue why, but :wub:

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Because of what today is, I'm bringing back my unrealistic love for this jersey set/logo.

kel_zoom.jpg

Don't have a clue why, but :wub:

I like this steroid jay for some reason too.

I also liked 04-11 stuff in vacuum, but not for the BLUE Jays.

Yeah, I feel the same. That was always my biggest problem with the Jays during that period... You're called the BLUE Jays, not the graphite jays or the black jays. The uniforms and logo in of themselves weren't awful, but just didn't belong with Toronto. It's how I feel about the White Sox not wearing white socks at the moment.

I suppose due to recent discussion, this one would be unpopular; but I'm not as big a fan of the Astros' orange jerseys and caps as others are. Orange is a color that I LOVE as a trim or secondary color (which is why I'm a huge fan of Houston's regular home whites and road greys when wearing either of their navy caps), but not so much when it's front and center. There are a couple of exceptions of course, like the BC Lions for example (who I feel balance thier colors very well; white-orange-white works). But too much orange in general kinda bothers me a bit. Really not sure why, it's just "one of those colors" for me that needs to be balanced. It's not a design rule overall that I'm claiming, just a personal preference.

I'm really hoping that should the Astros make it to the fall classic, they stick to white/grey with either of thier navy caps. But if they make a run with thier orange jerseys, I'm sure they'll stick with them more than the others.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Miami Marlins sounds awful and feels awkward to say.. Sometimes an ever-changing flow of sounds is smooth and rolls off the tongue better, like in Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins, but flipping them is equally awkward, like I'm trying to shove extra syllables into my mouth as I speak..

Also, with the state-named teams, what about "Golden State"?

Miami Marlins sounds awful and feels awkward to say.. Sometimes an ever-changing flow of sounds is smooth and rolls off the tongue better, like in Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins, but flipping them is equally awkward, like I'm trying to shove extra syllables into my mouth as I speak..

I dislike it. Again, we've got the LA Lakers, LA Clippers, and Sacramento Kings. And let's be honest, the Lakers are probably the ones that could best claim the California crown. (But none of them should). There was nothing wrong with "San Francisco Warriors," and even their time in Oakland could still make sense if you expand it to imply the San Francisco Bay Area. (This is how I now justify the 49ers being in Santa Clara).

I dislike it. Again, we've got the LA Lakers, LA Clippers, and Sacramento Kings. And let's be honest, the Lakers are probably the ones that could best claim the California crown. (But none of them should). There was nothing wrong with "San Francisco Warriors," and even their time in Oakland could still make sense if you expand it to imply the San Francisco Bay Area. (This is how I now justify the 49ers being in Santa Clara).

Silly admission here - In my youth I used to think the Washington Bullets played in the state of Washington and couldn't figure out why they played Seattle, they were from the same place, they should be friends...

• Like 1