NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MattMill said:

I had no idea there was a sock rule like that. So many players just sort of do what they want. It reminds me of baseball. 

three

sock lengths in one photo. 

A lot of guys tape their ankles, so it’s not so much as a white sock 

It's probably more of a thing where they're all wearing the same socks but each player pulls the colored part down different lengths than the other guys

3 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

When did the Browns get rid of their helmet stripe? This season?

It's a preseason thing. Players have to "earn their stripes" that will be applied to the helmets once the regular season starts. 

I wonder how the new sock rule will affect future uniform designs, especially since the Browns, specifically, are getting new uniforms next season.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

About time the league ditched the sock rule. Never liked or understood it.

Guess the last league mandated (this must be this color) piece of team equipment/uniform are the solid white chinstraps.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 8/29/2019 at 4:11 AM, Chawls said:

Forgive me if I missed it, but has anyone discussed this little tidbit in the thread yet? 

I like the all white socks, but the rest look very hs/college. The white bottoms have always had an "official" look to me. As silly as that sounds. But it separated NFL from every other league. And it made certain looks like the Lions throwback, stick out more, which i liked. I've always felt color rush would've been better if they enforced white bottoms. 

love the new sock rule. long over due. my biggest uniform pet peeve is white cleats paired with the standard sock— makes players look like they're wearing go-go-boots. white ones especially need some decoration, but its a really nice, simplified look that compliments the players leg much better. i never would have thought the NFL would care enough about socks to do this so it seems someone is looking out for the details over there. good stuff

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I think the key to whether this will be good or bad hinges on whether players can still wear white socks over their colored socks or leggings. If all this is just the NFL’s way of saying, “Well, we don’t really enforce this, so let’s just take it off the uniform guidelines,” then it’s not going to improve much.

I’m curious whether the “official” game socks will now be made in full-color calf-to-toe or if they’ll remain white on the bottom.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I like the white-bottom socks - especially with white spikes.  It's just a cleaner, more professional look - though I acknowledge that I might find it 'professional' just by association.

I think that teams should have more freedom to dress how they wish, and other than the league mandating that some kind of coverage is there, the actual style shouldn't be legislated, but I'll miss the white bottom.  Can't imagine anyone will keep that.

Since the color restrictions of shoes have been removed, the white bottom didn't flow as cleanly into the shoe, so this might not be too bad a thing, except that every team with colored pants is just going to wear full socks of the same color, so the tights effect will be in full... well, effect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Do players wear socks at all in college these days?  I’m used to bare lower legs there. 

Certain schools still mandate it as part of the uniform. Michigan is one I can recall off the top of my head. Even though a few guys will roll them down as the game goes on.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Do players wear socks at all in college these days?  I’m used to bare lower legs there. 

Crew socks have been the standard for almost 10 years. A few players wear no-shows with leggings, a good number wear high socks or double them up.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:09 PM, colortv said:

Bit of a random followup on helmets, but am I the only person who prefers the Bills old red helmets to the ones they have now?

I hate the Bills' white helmet, Red all the way.  It makes such a great combo with the royal blue jersey and white pants.  Keep everything else about their uni's, just go back to the old helmet

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think the key to whether this will be good or bad hinges on whether players can still wear white socks over their colored socks or leggings. If all this is just the NFL’s way of saying, “Well, we don’t really enforce this, so let’s just take it off the uniform guidelines,” then it’s not going to improve much.

I’m curious whether the “official” game socks will now be made in full-color calf-to-toe or if they’ll remain white on the bottom.

i might be wrong, but the way i interpreted it is the standard sock will now be a solid color, or all teams will have that option? true that players do some odd things to those socks or just wear ankle socks over leggings. i guess those things wont be policed still, but hopefully the full color sock is a step forward

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i might be wrong, but the way i interpreted it is the standard sock will now be a solid color, or all teams will have that option? true that players do some odd things to those socks or just wear ankle socks over leggings. i guess those things wont be policed still, but hopefully the full color sock is a step forward

It’s tough to tell without the league providing a clear “do this/not that” interpretation. Essentially I’m wondering if this means the inspectors are simply no longer bothering with socks and it’s a free for all in principle *and* in practice, or if it means get rid of all your white hosiery because the only color you can wear on your lower leg is the team sock color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived