NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The Pat Patriot throwbacks have a lot of nostalgia...and seem to just fit in with rustic New England autumns...but even in throwback mode (for one or two games a year), they're still somehow a curse...

Patriots wore the 80s throwbacks in 2002 and 2010-2012, and the AFL throwback in 2009.

In those five seasons in which throwbacks were worn, there were no Super Bowl wins, one Super Bowl appearance (a loss), three fairly embarrassing playoff losses (all at home), and they missed the playoffs in 2002. 

I hope they wear them at least once a year until the end of time then 😏

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Agency is the Times New Roman/Comic Sans of sports design.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

this was one of the uniforms that ushered in the proprietary numerals era, right? not many teams had something on this level of customization at the time. i think all the cuts give it energy and a much more aggressive look. appropriate for the team, but when they came out, i thought it was a bit much. by todays standards though, they’re a high crafted classic. who would ever had thought this would end up being like, mid-tier NFL numeral design?

I've been fiddling with a way to keep what's interesting with the font, but reel it back in to something a bit more classic and recognizably "football".  Here's my latest... kind of a marriage between where they are now and a standard block;

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

Yup and I liked that look.

920x920.jpg

That's obviously better than the all black socks, but there's plenty enough red on the jersey to balance out the red socks with this combination. And, on top of that, they already had (and have) red socks hanging in their closet. It's just like the Texans switching from red road socks to navy... are they stupid or blind?

16 hours ago, mafiaman said:

While I appreciate the nostalgia for that awesome uniform and helmet, even 10-year old me wondered why the “Patriots” wore red and not blue back in the day.

What about green Eagles, blue Lions, yellow Rams, orange Broncos, blue Buffalo etc?

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've been fiddling with a way to keep what's interesting with the font, but reel it back in to something a bit more classic and recognizably "football".  Here's my latest... kind of a marriage between where they are now and a standard block;

spacer.png

This whole discussion just makes me miss the Chargers in block :P 

14 minutes ago, colortv said:

What about green Eagles, blue Lions, yellow Rams, orange Broncos, blue Buffalo etc?

All of those are fine, because animals get recoloured all the time in sports. Geeze. 

A red Patriots jersey is just ridiculous though, when you consider the people the team's namesake fought against were nicknamed "redcoats."

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

I’d say those aren’t really comparable. The Patriots’ name specifically references the Revolutionary War, where the patriots wore blue while the enemy was known as the redcoats. A name with such a specific meaning is limited to the colors associated with it, and, in this case, some colors must be prioritized over others because of the associated events.

At least, that’s how I’ve always thought about it. Maybe that’s just me though.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

This made me realize the Chargers and Texans font are actually pretty close.

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think Belichick will coach until he dies

I could see Brady transitioning to a player coach eventually, prolonging the uniforms for eternity.

Excellent!

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I wish more teams did what the Jets and Cardinals did, with a semi-proprietary block font.

I actually hate the Cardinals font. Just another bas aspect to their uniforms imo. It looks like they got a normal block font and tried adding a stroke in photoshop. 

And what you're left with is just soft rounded corners much like the previous vikings font (which makes a ton of sense). 

Forgive me if I missed it, but has anyone discussed this little tidbit in the thread yet? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived