NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I'm legitimately surprised at how many people have never heard of Bed-Stuy.

I've never heard of it 🤷‍♂️

I mean I'm just a Jewish kid from suburban Ontario, so you know. This stuff was sort of outside of my "orbit" as it were, but that does prove @Gothamite's point to a degree.

I'm not sure I, or my "demo," is who Nike or the NBA are targeting, but still. Not everyone's into the stuff you're into 😛

Bed-Stuy ain't Harlem, the Village, or SoHo, as far as internationally famous neighborhoods go. But it has definitely had more of a presence in American pop culture than most neighborhoods in most cities. Do The Right Thing probably did more to put Bed-Stuy on the map than Biggie did. Of course, I doubt the Nets will ever do any Spike-influenced branding, seeing as he's so associated with the Knicks. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I've never heard of it 🤷‍♂️

I mean I'm just a Jewish kid from suburban Ontario, so you know. This stuff was sort of outside of my "orbit" as it were, but that does prove @Gothamite's point to a degree.

I'm not sure I, or my "demo," is who Nike or the NBA are targeting, but still. Not everyone's into the stuff you're into 😛

+1 to not knowing what Bed-Stuy was, and ive been to Brooklyn.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

8 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I live in PA,  have no clue what it means, and don't care enough to look it up.

I knew what it meant already, yet still looked it up for you since I DO care. Bedford–Stuyvesant. Sort of like South of Houston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford–Stuyvesant,_Brooklyn

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

7 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'm legitimately surprised at how many people have never heard of Bed-Stuy. What's actually weird is how hyperlocal these uniforms are getting in a league that revolves more around the individual players than the cities or teams. This approach to branding would make a lot more sense in the MLB than the NBA.

Why does it matter if people never heard of bed-stuy? Isn't that the entire point of city jerseys? To draw attention to, and honor your city? I never knew Milwaukee was called Cream City. I still have no clue what peach has to do with Atlanta. There was just a bunch of posts on here from people asking if people really say "H-Town" in Houston because they've never heard it before. And then people confirmed they do infact call Houston H-Town. 

The whole point of City jerseys is to honor your city. You're SUPPOSED to learn something new. 

59 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

The Raptors paying homage to their inaugural NOB styling is pretty cool. Of course, that raises the question why this can be done yet outlined NOBs are verboten 

I wish they had gone all-in and used the original number font. Looks wrong to me with their current number font on there. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

The Raptors paying homage to their inaugural NOB styling is pretty cool. Of course, that raises the question why this can be done yet outlined NOBs are verboten 

Converting this uniform to a regular black, red, and silver look (and sure, throw in a touch of purple too) would be pretty awesome. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I already said this but the raptors one desperately needs striping on the arm holes and collar. That’s what separates a practice jersey/tank top to an nba jersey to me. When an nba jersey doesn’t have stripes on the arm holes or collar it just ends up looking like a cheap tank top with text on it. 

IMG-7122.gif

as a new yorker and nets fan, let me just chime in on the nets' bed-stuy thing.

it's the silliest of decisions. 

i get what they're going for, but there are many factors at play here. 1) they don't play in bed-stuy, 2) as another commenter mentioned, the version of bed-stuy they're...i don't even really want to say "paying homage to" because biggie was essentially rapping about a very hard and dangerous upbringing...is very, very different today, and 3) did i mention that they don't play in bed-stuy?

it's honestly enough to make me not buy the jersey, which i was absolutely going to do before i saw the final design.

sig2024.png

13 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

The Nets don’t play in Bed-Stuy. The Gentrification Nets using Biggie to pose as authentically Brooklyn and going hyper specific by representing neighborhoods they don’t play in strikes me more as appropriaton with each release

Would’ve made a lot more sense if they used Prospect Heights (where they actually play) or Boerum Hill (close to where they actually play). Bed-Stuy is just far from where they actually play it’s so not even appropriate to be using that. It’d be like if the Knicks used a city jersey saying East Village or Hells Kitchen.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

Archived