NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

58 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

People forget how bad things got with Adidas in the last few years. And the sleeved jerseys are too big a blunder to be handwaved away. I'll gladly take Nike's experiments over this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I disagree, at least they were team colors. Nike is throwing away 50 year old brands for a one year gimmick, it should be considered much more offensive than it is right now

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the sleeved concept was worth trying. Adidas and the NBA were trying to sell official jerseys to a crowd less likely to wear tank tops; compared to the uniforms of MLB, NFL and NHL, NBA uniforms are way more revealing and far less forgiving for hefty American physiques.

They failed miserably, of course. Even after the Cavs won a title in sleeves (and won't those images look weirder and weirder as time passes), they still never took off. If LeBron couldn't convince doughy middle American to adopt sleeved basketball jerseys, no one could.

But again, it was worth a shot.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think the sleeved concept was worth trying. Adidas and the NBA were trying to sell official jerseys to a crowd less likely to wear tank tops; compared to the uniforms of MLB, NFL and NHL, NBA uniforms are way more revealing and far less forgiving for hefty American physiques.

They failed miserably, of course. Even after the Cavs won a title in sleeves (and won't those images look weirder and weirder as time passes), they still never took off. If LeBron couldn't convince doughy middle American to adopt sleeved basketball jerseys, no one could.

Pretty sure LeBron, Steph, and Dirk all  said they hated the sleeves, which doesn’t help sales no matter who the customer might be. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The sleeved jerseys were mostly bad, but they mostly failed because 1) sleeves were treated as just extra pieces of fabric attached to a tank top instead of something that could live on its own (such as the Celtics and Magic having loops around the shoulder instead of continuing the collar trim at the edge of the sleeve) and 2) the Rev30 perforated material just isn’t very appealing for a regular shirt. If they had used a material more similar to their soccer kits it could have gone over better. Adidas “pride” jerseys were for the most part awful even without sleeves (the Magic one with the logo and stripes was appalling) but at least they didn’t force it on everyone and teams still wore their team colors 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

18 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Pop quiz:

1. Which is the home team?

2. Which is the road team?

3. What city is this?

4. WTF?

TXZIjFl.jpg

Just make the background colors on the scorebug match the uniform color and the Bulls can wear Pink, Teal, Green, whatever.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 12/2/2019 at 12:16 AM, Pyromania1983 said:

Which 10?

49155503502_151268e765_o.png

Lakers

Rockets

Jazz

Wizards

Raptors (ok)

Blazers

Philly 

Miami

Pacers

Nuggets

Brooklyn, Chicago and Milwaukee would be on here if they changed the wordmark to their cities name instead of stupid nickname, logo on chest or famous suburb of a city (See Golden  State 8500 Nickname uniforms (Bay, Town, City)

shado_logo.gif

On 12/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, kimball said:

I'm torn here, because I like the idea of the City Jerseys. But, I would prefer they stay around longer 2-3 years and use the team's colors. But, I say that LOVING the Jazz's sunset jerseys too. 

I just really want more uniformity and longer turnaround on jerseys especially the statement and city jerseys. Plus, bring back a Christmas jersey ... that was fun when designed well.

I agree, I'd hate it much less if they didn't change every single year and were actually in team colors. Keep them around a few years, if you must have City jerseys. And if some team, like the Jazz hits it out of the park the first time then let them keep them as long as they want.

Also the idea that the thirds/alternates are going to be a revolving door every two years too (though it seems some teams opted out...for now), is asinine. Some teams' Alts look too good, or are at least cohesive with their identity, and should never have to be changed again. The Sixers, for example. They did they 2 year thing this year because they just fixed/removed "Suxers" (I still think they need a jersey that says Sixers and should have just matched fonts with the standards, but I digress). And there are other teams that fit that bill too. Like, why did the Magic have to drop their blues for this the new crap with the floating boxes on the sides?

8 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Yep, it's supposed to reference the nameplate from the Apollo suits:

Neil-Armstrongs-Original-Spacesuit-50th-

Would have been nice if they put the actual name of the player on it. Also in that picture the name tag is on the middle but on the jersey it’s on the side?

IMG-7122.gif

Color vs color is growing on me. Color me surprised. 

I still don't like the black at home for black sake. 

I thought I'd be against the jazz and grizz in their color color matchup for historical reasons. But it looked great. 

Just give me a small.box on the score bug denoting who is wearing what, and all my initial rantings seem to lessen considerably.

I now watch college basketball and the white at home vs color is almost a little boring.  What has Nike done to me?

I still haven't bought a Jersey or apparel. Spicing up the NBA can work. They've just taken it a bit too far. I'm hoping there is some backlash and next year, they get it to within 2-4 jerseys per team. 

I kept watching the Heat and Raptors and had to double take who the home team was. Pretty boring white vs black matchup. But we've seen it reversed 100 times already. That's where there is disconnect. 

7 hours ago, MattMill said:

Color vs color is growing on me. Color me surprised.

I now watch college basketball and the white at home vs color is almost a little boring.  What has Nike done to me?

White at home should never be perceived as boring, but I get where you're coming from.  I think a lot of this could be simplified by mandating home teams wear a "light" color, and the road team a "dark" color.  Home team should never wear black, navy, maroon, etc. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

27 minutes ago, CS85 said:

White at home should never be perceived as boring, but I get where you're coming from.  I think a lot of this could be simplified by mandating home teams wear a "light" color, and the road team a "dark" color.  Home team should never wear black, navy, maroon, etc. 

Hell, I would be okay with the rule  that road teams never wear white. I can handle a home team in black if the road team's look is different enough from black.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, DG_Now said:

Pop quiz:

1. Which is the home team?

2. Which is the road team?

3. What city is this?

4. WTF?

TXZIjFl.jpg

As much as I hate the Bulls wearing white on the road, the blue Kings throwbacks would've made for a much better matchup.

15 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

As much as I hate the Bulls wearing white on the road, the blue Kings throwbacks would've made for a much better matchup.

Kind of wondering if the Kings will go with a royal blue/red SACTOWN City jersey next year just to keep the throwback vibe going and get one more year out of that court. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

If your whole argument in support of sleeves is that it was worth it to boost merchandise sales then you have no reasonable reason to oppose Nike's program. As far as we know this has been a successful marketing campaign and even the loss of home/away/alt designations has gotten more jerseys in front of the home crowds, likely boosting sales.

It is totally reasonable to think that merchandise sales are not a sufficient reason to sacrifice the league's aesthetic traditions. But you have to consistently apply that logic. By my estimation the league looks better than it did in the last few adidas years but it is worse from a consistency and tradition perspective.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived