New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the story they’ve told. They’ve shown their helmets arriving at a massive facility where hundreds (if not thousands of helmets) are made or refurbished on a daily basis. The story mainly follows the white helmets (which they previously wore) being sanded down and sent through the paint/primer line, but threw in shots of other helmets to not only back up my first point, but also to avoid any hints of what color the new helmets may be.

But the story isn’t (or at least shouldn’t be) about Riddell or any of those other teams. It’s about the Jets and their design process. Showcasing a brand performing what’s essentially a standard, menial step in the process is pretty irrelevant and is just white noise to the story. Likewise, showing these other random helmets does the same thing. It just steers the story off the main road and onto all these little side streets, which can be incredibly confusing, especially to a general audience who has little to no knowledge of the inner workings of the sports industry.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Respectfully, you’re nitpicking. It’s showing one step of the entire process and is meant to get people talking/excited about the rebrand. It’s building anticipation. It’s been successful in that aspect, even if it is what you believe to be just a “standard, menial step.”

I’m truly curious what you believe the actual story is? Because, at least from my point of view, it seems like you want them to give you bits and pieces that ultimately lead to the answer when — in reality — that’s not the point of any of this. They’ll surely show the design process *after* the uniforms are unveiled.

Again, I see this as a way for them to build anticipation for the uniforms, not to give you clues or hints as to what the uniforms are. Throwing the extra helmets in there keeps you off their track and gives some people who have no clue how this process works a behind-the-scenes look. 

31 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Respectfully, you’re nitpicking. It’s showing one step of the entire process and is meant to get people talking/excited about the rebrand. It’s building anticipation. It’s been successful in that aspect, even if it is what you believe to be just a “standard, menial step.”

I’m truly curious what you believe the actual story is? Because, at least from my point of view, it seems like you want them to give you bits and pieces that ultimately lead to the answer when — in reality — that’s not the point of any of this. They’ll surely show the design process *after* the uniforms are unveiled.

Again, I see this as a way for them to build anticipation for the uniforms, not to give you clues or hints as to what the uniforms are. Throwing the extra helmets in there keeps you off their track and gives some people who have no clue how this process works a behind-the-scenes look. 

Just because it’s successful at building anticipation doesn’t mean it’s telling a focused, coherent story.

It’s the difference between hollow, hype-driven marketing and engaging, substance-driven marketing.

If I were doing this, I’d keep it much more focused on the relevant information that people are actuallly excited about (the team itself and the question of “how far are they going with this?”). Follow a single helmet from the player’s hands after cleaning out his locker, giving it to the equipment staff, who then strip off the decals and hardware, label it, etc. Then, show a reconditioner open up the box and start working on it, sanding, inspecting, whatever. When it comes time to get it into the paint booth, give the implication that something’s changing, but doesn’t tell them what (instead of being super vague and confusing like they are). That could be as simple as showing the reconditioner carrying the helmet into a paint booth and closing the door behind him. Basically, they have all the bones, but leave Riddell out of it (other than maybe a note at the bottom to establish the setting/location of that part of the process; no need to show drone footage of the factory), and leave the other stuff Riddell does for other teams out of it (because it’s not relevant to the Jets, and really, it’s not relevant to the design process at all; they’re just providing a routine service).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I like your idea, too, but just because something isn’t done the way you’d do it doesn’t mean it’s not still good at telling a story. 

They’ve taken a different approach than your hyper-focused idea — which would probably equate to one video or several small teasers — but a story still clearly exists (the first video showed all of the helmets being packed and shipped out, the second shows them being reconditioned... and so on) and that allows viewers to build a connection and anticipation to the overall point, which is that the team is getting new uniforms/helmets. 

This board tends to forget — and I’m guilty of this, too — that we’re the outliers who overanalyze every little detail. The casual fans (their target audience) will watch it, appreciate the behind-the-scenes look, like seeing where the process is taking place, etc., and get excited for the rebrand. Taking issue with the Jets showing a bit of what Riddell does is just us — the outliers — nitpicking. 

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Give me a kelly green logo on that color helmet and I'd be happy. 

Incorporating an actual color of a jet!  What an idea!!! 😮 </sarcasm>

I’ll be honest, I’d like to see that, but for another team called the Jets, not the New York Jets. 

These Jets should stick to kelly green and white, maybe some outlines in black if they really want to push it. I’m usually not the stereotypical guy around here who is against anything new (not that the stereotype is true😉), I usually love it when teams try something outside the box, but the Jets just need to look back to the 80s if they want to know what they should do and give a slight modern take on that. Don’t throw gray and black or neon green in there. They don’t need it.

3 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

I like your idea, too, but just because something isn’t done the way you’d do it doesn’t mean it’s not still good at telling a story. 

They’ve taken a different approach than your hyper-focused idea — which would probably equate to one video or several small teasers — but a story still clearly exists (the first video showed all of the helmets being packed and shipped out, the second shows them being reconditioned... and so on) and that allows viewers to build a connection and anticipation to the overall point, which is that the team is getting new uniforms/helmets. 

This board tends to forget — and I’m guilty of this, too — that we’re the outliers who overanalyze every little detail. The casual fans (their target audience) will watch it, appreciate the behind-the-scenes look, like seeing where the process is taking place, etc., and get excited for the rebrand. Taking issue with the Jets showing a bit of what Riddell does is just us — the outliers — nitpicking. 

I understand what you’re trying to get at here, but this isn’t telling a story, at least not a clear or concise one. It started well in the first video, but by bringing in pieces that aren’t relevant and by fanning the flames of all this “Is it gonna be white? Is it gonna be green? Is it gonna be grey?” speculation, I think all the clarity is lost. It became a vague, jumbled hype mess. You could even argue that focusing on the helmet is a bit odd considering the logo and the jersey are the merchandising drivers (though I’m sure there’s more to come on that).

I actually try to avoid reading into the details in these teasers because if you’re exactly right that if you need to analyze it as hard as some tend to do, it’s a total failure to the general public. In this case, the story arc may as well be a VICE documentary about Riddell or concussions or companies that still employ workers in otherwise downtrodden regions (I grew up ten mins from North Ridgeville). The only thing that reveals the subject is actual teaser text. The filmmaking isn’t doing anything at all for the Jets in this video.

An effective marketing narrative engages people to turn the page, it doesn’t make them wonder, “Why are you telling me this?” I was engaged after the first video. After this one, I couldn’t care less.

“I’ll see it when it comes out, I guess.”

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I understand what you’re trying to get at here, but this isn’t telling a story, at least not a clear or concise one. It started well in the first video, but by bringing in pieces that aren’t relevant and by fanning the flames of all this “Is it gonna be white? Is it gonna be green? Is it gonna be grey?” speculation, I think all the clarity is lost. It became a vague, jumbled hype mess. You could even argue that focusing on the helmet is a bit odd considering the logo and the jersey are the merchandising drivers (though I’m sure there’s more to come on that).

I actually try to avoid reading into the details in these teasers because if you’re exactly right that if you need to analyze it as hard as some tend to do, it’s a total failure to the general public. In this case, the story arc may as well be a VICE documentary about Riddell or concussions or companies that still employ workers in otherwise downtrodden regions (I grew up ten mins from North Ridgeville). The only thing that reveals the subject is actual teaser text. The filmmaking isn’t doing anything at all for the Jets in this video.

An effective marketing narrative engages people to turn the page, it doesn’t make them wonder, “Why are you telling me this?” I was engaged after the first video. After this one, I couldn’t care less.

“I’ll see it when it comes out, I guess.”

The whole reveal premise is pointless because they will be using brand new helmets for the unveiling not some 2nd hand repainted refurbs. The video got the lookie loos distracted TALKIN BOUT PRIMER when they should be looking for the shipping boxes from schutt and riddell with the NEW GOODS.

6 hours ago, guest23 said:

The whole reveal premise is pointless because they will be using brand new helmets for the unveiling not some 2nd hand repainted refurbs. The video got the lookie loos distracted TALKIN BOUT PRIMER when they should be looking for the shipping boxes from schutt and riddell with the NEW GOODS.

What makes you think refurbished helmets won't look like brand new helmets?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

What makes you think refurbished helmets won't look like brand new helmets?

They absolutely would look brand new.. if they change color though, I'd imagine them changing shells completely.. although, they don't necessarily have to if they do a good job minimizing wear-and-tear on them throughout the year.. main issue would just be chipping/scratching of paint that reveals the shell color beneath it

8 hours ago, guest23 said:

It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about primer. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be talking the franchise, and we in here talking about primer. I mean, listen, we're talking about primer, not the goods, not the goods, not the goods, we talking about primer. Not the goods. Not, not … Not the goods that I go out there and die for. Not the goods, but we're talking about primer, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about primer. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about primer man. What are we talking about? Primer? We're talking about primer, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about primer. We're talking about primer. We ain't talking about the goods. [more laughter] We're talking about primer, man. When you come to the arena, and you see them play, you see them play don't you? You've seen the, give everything they've got, right? But we're talking about primer right now. We talking about pr... [Interrupted].
Reporter: But it's an issue that the boards continues to raise?
Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about primer man, we're not even talking about the goods... the actual goods, when it matters... We're talking about primer 

2 hours ago, schlim said:
It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about primer. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be talking the franchise, and we in here talking about primer. I mean, listen, we're talking about primer, not the goods, not the goods, not the goods, we talking about primer. Not the goods. Not, not … Not the goods that I go out there and die for. Not the goods, but we're talking about primer, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about primer. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about primer man. What are we talking about? Primer? We're talking about primer, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about primer. We're talking about primer. We ain't talking about the goods. [more laughter] We're talking about primer, man. When you come to the arena, and you see them play, you see them play don't you? You've seen the, give everything they've got, right? But we're talking about primer right now. We talking about pr... [Interrupted].
Reporter: But it's an issue that the boards continues to raise?
Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about primer man, we're not even talking about the goods... the actual goods, when it matters... We're talking about primer 

"Primer? Don't talk about - primer?! Are you kidding me?! Primer?! I just hope we can get some paint. Another paint (color)!"

9 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I forgot, did the Jets say they were changing logos? Lots of uniform talk but no logo talk. If the logo is basically the same, I can't imagine a huge uniform change. 

I don't know if they specifically mentioned logos. But Teal (currently suspended member who has gotten sneak peeks at things in the past) has said the logo is slightly different, the green is lighter, and black is used as an accent and for alt jersey and pants. 

Archived