Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

If that uniform in the tweet turns out to be pretty accurate, then did the Rams go to that two-piece horn so it would conform to that sleeve design?  Ugh.  The horn is part of the helmet first and there's no reason to mess with the most basic/classic part of the Rams identity (a "smooth" horn) since...whenever (I know the horn had a rougher pattern long ago).  This is just an unnecessary change. They didn't even need to try on the helmet.  Trying turned out badly.

Unpopular opinion: the best ram-head logo is the St. Louis one.  Color it for LA and use it!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont understand the need for the gradient numbers especially since theres only one version of their logos that uses the white to yellow gradient.  Ive noticed that the blue to yellow without gradient is used way more on TV and in other applications....and there is no white to yellow gradient on the Ram head.  I dont get it.  The grey uniform could work as an alternate but does this mean no more throwbacks? Yellow color rush? 

To me, the gray road uniforms are way dumber than the gradient. This isn't baseball, and all it accomplishes is making a vibrant color scheme look dull. Hopefully someone just made a weird assumption based on seeing the road uniforms in bad lighting and they're not actually gray.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

9 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I would welcome that logo Rams Nation is using as an alternate as well...although if what they say is correct, that face mask would need to be rendered in blue.

And other than the gradient numbers, I’m cool with what has been “leaked” via these details. Just gotta see the unis in full to make final judgement.

EDIT: Tweets with mockups according to the details listed above.

Ooof. Between the "bone" uniform and the gradient numbers, this is reminding me of something a DII school would roll out in the '00s. 

Somehow the helmet is my favorite element of the set. 

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

20 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Ooof. Between the "bone" uniform and the gradient numbers, this is reminding me of something a DII school would roll out in the '00s. 

Somehow the helmet is my favorite element of the set. 

Complete opposite take here.

To me, the uniform is fine; the helmets are a big downgrade. 

Yes, the uniform could be better. The gradient numbers don't bother me — honestly, I never understood why we're supposed to just automatically despise gradients. Like any design element, they can be done poorly (Jags helmets) or overused (some college teams) but I don't mind it on the numbers or on the one jersey option the Falcons have.

I'm having a harder time figuring out why they changed the helmet decal. They throw away decades of meaningful league history (league's first helmet logo, designed by player who was an art student) for this?

I thought maybe they wanted consistent horns on the logos and decals. Nope. The LA monogram horn is slightly different than the new ram head horn.

Fibonacci? Nope. The old decal is probably a truer Fibonacci spiral than the new one is.

Change for change sake, I guess. It's not enough for the front office that they brought the franchise back to LA and are opening a palatial new stadium. I guess they feel they only leave a mark by overhauling the unis. They could've followed the Chargers' lead. Start with a classic and tune it up. No, they radically change, just to do it. Could be Nike's new tagline for their NFL uniforms: Just To Do It.

7 minutes ago, auguststaley said:

Complete opposite take here.

To me, the uniform is fine; the helmets are a big downgrade. 

Yes, the uniform could be better. The gradient numbers don't bother me — honestly, I never understood why we're supposed to just automatically despise gradients. Like any design element, they can be done poorly (Jags helmets) or overused (some college teams) but I don't mind it on the numbers or on the one jersey option the Falcons have.

I'm having a harder time figuring out why they changed the helmet decal. They throw away decades of meaningful league history (league's first helmet logo, designed by player who was an art student) for this?

I thought maybe they wanted consistent horns on the logos and decals. Nope. The LA monogram horn is slightly different than the new ram head horn.

Fibonacci? Nope. The old decal is probably a truer Fibonacci spiral than the new one is.

Change for change sake, I guess. It's not enough for the front office that they brought the franchise back to LA and are opening a palatial new stadium. I guess they feel they only leave a mark by overhauling the unis. They could've followed the Chargers' lead. Start with a classic and tune it up. No, they radically change, just to do it. Could be Nike's new tagline for their NFL uniforms: Just To Do It.

I have the same opinion re: the helmets -- I just don't like much else on the uniforms. 

The gradient numbers could turn out better than expected once the finished product rolls out too. The Pro Bowl uniform posted earlier didn't look all that bad, imo. I just have my reservations as to how Nike will execute that given their past attempts.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I realy dont get the gray road uniforms.  Gradient numbers, eh I can live with it.  The gray roads would make sense with a team that uses silver or gray as more than an accent color (ie. Seahawks, Raiders, Lions, etc)

1 hour ago, Lucas718 said:

What happened to the blue & white color scheme they were supposedly changing to?

Blue and white, the Fearsome Foursome color scheme, was one of the things they were considering.  It might have even been the preferred choice when they were planning the LA move, but it seems as though they dropped that idea pretty quickly once they actually got to California and could sample the fanbase.

6 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

With the Rams opening the floodgates, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Seahawks soon (probably too late for this year but maybe next?) designate their gray alternates as the primary aways.

I doubt this will happen, as much as they love the grey uniforms, white jerseys and blue pants will be their primary uniforms for a while. Before 2013, the Seahawks didn’t have a primary away look. They would wear white jerseys with grey, white and blue pants almost at random. After the Superbowl 48 win, white on navy became Seattle’s primary road look, and last season, we didn’t even see white on white or white on grey during the regular season. They did wear all grey twice last year, but it’s just an alternate when compared to white over navy being worn 9 times for the Seahawks over the course of the pre, regular and post season in 2019.

A few thoughts: 

1. The long wait for this debut would be a lot less sucky if they had just communicated a firm date to us for a reveal.  Kinda crazy. 
  2. I'm 100% not buying any of the buzz on Twitter about the bone color.  I would be SHOCKED if that was an actual thing. 
  3. This identity should be REALLY REALLY hard to screw up. Key words "should be".  Can't wait to see. 

Archived