Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

Just now, Webfooter said:

Nike and Tampa finally realized they should never have gotten rid of their Super Bowl uniforms.  It was the perfect look for them and only needed to do a couple tweaks to keep up-to-date.  The new ones are exactly what should have been done instead of the abominations they wore the past few years.

If they didn't change to the alarm-clock set, why would they have done this, since it's so close to what it would have been replacing?  Sometimes you have to change, just so when you change back, it's "new", even though it's not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These might be more simple and heavily based on an old set but man these are infinitely better than the digital clock number uniforms. Like it's not even close. And if the NFL changes the 1 helmet rule next year to allow the creamsicle uniforms to come back once or twice a year, even better. Well done Tampa Bay.

8 minutes ago, FlyingBuckeye7 said:

I actually prefer the new color. The old pewter was great for the early 2000’s but I don’t think it fits in 2020. But that’s just my opinion.

In the early 2000s set, the black was somewhat necessary and helpful, and added to the look by providing a dark color for the brighter colors to contrast against, and the pewter and black served very different purposes, which both added to the overall aesthetic.. the new pewter is basically just really dark grey, and kinda goes against everything that worked with the original set.. the old pewter is a large part of what made the old set work so well

48 minutes ago, TruColor said:

Confirmation at 100% now.

Old Red and Orange, new(wish) Pewter.

Please, please, please post the new marks using Pantone Digital Specs when you have a chance.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

2 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

In the early 2000s set, the black was somewhat necessary and helpful, and added to the look by providing a dark color for the brighter colors to contrast against, and the pewter and black served very different purposes, which both added to the overall aesthetic.. the new pewter is basically just really dark grey, and kinda goes against everything that worked with the original set.. the old pewter is a large part of what made the old set work so well

If what you’re trying to say is that the new pewter doesn’t work well for the uniforms, I think you’re completely mistaken. This new pewter most definitely works for the uniforms and in fact is a worthy update over the early 2000’s set.

image.png

Just now, Mr. Krabs said:

From a die-hard Panthers fan, this is one fabulous set that never should have been discarded to begin with. My only gripe is the continuation of the oversized helmet decal. Just make it normal sized and it's a total winner.

They’re supposedly reducing the size of the helmet decal but we have not yet seen to what extent.

image.png

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

It shouldn't be that difficult Nike... 

OrangeAdded.jpg

Very poor contrast on the pewter set. Seemingly would have been better to go with the wordmark in orange and have the number trim pattern be black-orange-white, like on the red jersey.

1 hour ago, HereComesThax said:

Twitter poll has new Color Rush design winning, so the general public must like it.

No. Twitter never has and never will represent "the general public." Nor do any polls on Instagram, Facebook, MySpace, TikTok or any other social media platform. If something is or isn't popular on Twitter, it means a vocal minority has an opinion on something, and that's it.

Really wouldn’t have minded Nike going fully silly mode with the alt here. Something in between the SB sets and the digital alarm clock uniforms would’ve been nice. Their color rush could’ve been a good starting point. A refreshed version of that with the full ship logo on the helmet would’ve been really cool spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Very poor contrast on the pewter set. Seemingly would have been better to go with the wordmark in orange and have the number trim pattern be black-orange-white, like on the red jersey.

Poor contrast, maybe, but I like this very very much more then the actual one.

A “modern” update to the Super Bowl era set. Don’t think they can do better than this. Personally I find it a little boring, but as far as pleasing a fan base and not overthinking things it’s a home run.

The Orange could be a little brighter though. In some photos it looks like a red outline. Overall the Bucs stomped it.

36 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i think its odd to change it just for color contrast. there's a whole story and specific connotations that come from changing the colors; they have 2 different ships. one suggests the Raiders. i just can't support this 

Ideally I’d like them to have one ship too, and for that one ship to work on all applications. I’d also ideally like the pewter set to have been designed differently and better than it was, to allow for a bit more consistency. 

As it is however - and you don’t have to support this, it’s just a theory - I think they wanted the black sails on the home and road to tie into team history, but found they didn’t didn’t match their concept for the color rush, so went with red sails there. From a strictly, in-a-vacuum uniform standpoint, all I’m saying is that I understand the line of thinking. Different connotations between sails? I totally understand that, and I’m not necessarily defending their disregard of that, I’m just saying strictly aesthetically I can see why they may have made the choices they did.

I cannot emphasize enough though that my saying that I “get it” isn’t me saying that I “like it”. I would’ve done a lot of things different on that pewter set, myself. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Wow! What a relief to have the orange trim in the numbers and pants stripe. It just felt off to hear that the team was going back so close to their earlier uniform set, but omitting such an important detail... the orange adds that necessary pop that makes these uniforms work.

Although I would have preferred a return of the creamsicle color scheme (the press release indicating they would like to throw back to it is promising), this is about as great of a pewter-heavy set as I could imagine. I love the trim on the collar, the slightly smaller helmet logo, and the black-heavy sails on the primary jerseys. It’s the little details that really make this set stand out, as opposed to the “in-your-face-ness” of the first Nike redesign.

The return to darker red seems like an improvement (hopefully the Falcons go with a brighter red). I wouldn’t have minded if they kept the brighter Bay Orange, but the set still looks great as-is. I don’t even mind the all-pewter Color Rush, and hold the seemingly unpopular opinion that it doesn’t need to have orange trim in the numbers and pant stripe, like the main set does. I like the simplicity of it, for this particular set.

It is interesting that this is as close to a reversion as we have seen in the modern NFL, basically admitting that the Nike redesign was bad, and that the previous set was far superior. Even the press release is absent of any “Nike-Speak,” instead resting heavily on a return to the “Super Bowl” uniforms. I wonder if the Browns uniform reveal will follow suit in returning back to tradition.

58 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I didn't realize the team had said that.

A great update just got greater...

yep. 

The new uniform also retains the modern flag-and-crossed-swords logo, while incorporating the original shade of red. The side of the flag on the helmet has been reduced to ensure the sword is visible on all helmet types used by players.

They got everything right except the logos. 

Archived