2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

On 9/27/2021 at 5:45 AM, canzman said:

Regular Season Week 4 (Part1)

Giants @ Saints
qGeJvjt.jpg

gf7BFCt.jpg

That is going to be so ugly if the Saints decide to wear black pants with this match up.

The Giants have sunked so low. This is like the Bengals all over again. As the Bengals focus on black in their road whites, the Giants focus on red in their road whites. Not good at all.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Remember when we thought yellow jerseys were the worst thing the Rams could do? Those were good times. 

No? The yellow jerseys were nice. They just needed white or blue pants to go with them instead of monochrome yellow. They had way bigger problems back then with the awful St. Louis Frankenstein uniforms they were still wearing on the road.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

There's barely any orange in that look outside of the helmet. Honestly, the Bengals' new uniforms kind of suck.

I think they're understated the same way the Chargers and Falcons are understated. They went too far past simple (which can be great) and into boring.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

No? The yellow jerseys were nice. They just needed white or blue pants to go with them instead of monochrome yellow. They had way bigger problems back then with the awful St. Louis Frankenstein uniforms they were still wearing on the road.

I just remember the outrage from people here when it was suggested that a yellow jersey be used. Granted it could be because they just recycled that one painting about 200 times instead of using an actual picture. blue helmet, yellow jersey and white pants would be a solid look for the Rams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

There's barely any orange in that look outside of the helmet.

That's what I like about it. It's not visually overwhelming and makes the helmet the showcase, as it should be. The black tiger stripes tie in with the black tiger stripes of the helmet and there's enough orange in the jerseys so it doesn't look totally out of place. 

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Honestly, the Bengals' new uniforms kind of suck.

I'll take that as a compliment. 

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think they're understated the same way the Chargers and Falcons are understated. They went too far past simple (which can be great) and into boring.

After 17 years of watching a uniform that threw every 2000's design trend into a blender and hit puree, I'll take "boring" all day, every day, wear it until the heat death of the Earth. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

24 minutes ago, Sport said:

After 17 years of watching a uniform that threw every 2000's design trend into a blender and hit puree, I'll take "boring" all day, every day, wear it until the heat death of the Earth. 

Maybe boring isn't the right word. To me, it's more incomplete. There are inconsistent elements, like the Bengals not having any orange on their pants.

I should like this Chargers uniform:

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2021/04/09/49720f6f-c1ea-4d16-8ed1-2e5e0b72fe41/thumbnail/1200x675/52bbdf3008996cb5d54391c610ad3a7f/new-team.jpg

But I don't. And it's not me being contrary (I don't think). The blue is a nice blue, but it looks lifeless on a pro sports uniform. Like it's a perfect combination of colors for basketball shoes, but on the field, it just looks kind of blah.

I'm in the minority who thinks this is the best the Falcons ever looked:

FKqDKg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Compared to the 2021 version of that look:

Falcons_Giants_Football_47464.jpg

The Vick look just feels more intentional and alive. Like it's a cohesive set of design ideas to create a complete look. And I say that as a relative fan of the new Falcons uniforms.

I don't know. Yes, the 2000s had too much nonsense -- the Cardinals and Vikings being the worst offenders -- but it just feels sometimes like Nike's trying to avoid paid for too much printing costs for their replicas rather than creating compelling football designs.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe boring isn't the right word. To me, it's more incomplete. There are inconsistent elements, like the Bengals not having any orange on their pants.

But I don't. And it's not me being contrary (I don't think). The blue is a nice blue, but it looks lifeless on a pro sports uniform. Like it's a perfect combination of colors for basketball shoes, but on the field, it just looks kind of blah.

I don't know. Yes, the 2000s had too much nonsense -- the Cardinals and Vikings being the worst offenders -- but it just feels sometimes like Nike's trying to avoid paid for too much printing costs for their replicas rather than creating compelling football designs.

I'm not going to defend Nike or NFL properties because I have a lot of bones to pick with them, but it's fair to say the pendulum has swung and they've gone from overdesigning to underdesigning (save the Rams' silly uniforms). I prefer the latter because the misses are less visually distracting. I had a hard time watching the Buccaneers and Browns before their returns to normal because their uniforms were so stupid and upsetting looking. The Falcons new uniforms are awful and worse than the Vick look and I didn't really like the Vick look, but I don't find the Falcons new uniforms to be unwatchable in the way those Bucs unis were. I think that's the difference. 

If I was NFL uniforms czar those Chargers uniforms are about as close to what I would've done* as I could've reasonably hoped as a person with zero involvement in a uniform design. I love them. If I was NFL uniforms czar the Bengals new uniforms are not what I would've done**, but after what I've had to watch the last 17 years I'm quite happy with what they've landed on - they're a hybrid of the 80's look and the 04 uniforms, and I can live with that. They feel, spiritually, like the team of my youth and I couldn't say that from 2004-2020. 

*I'd move the helmet numbers to the sleeves underneath the shoulder bolts, not use an italicized font, and I'd lose one of the dark blue alternates. They don't need two. Nearly every other decision they made is what I would've done.

**I've said this before, but I would've used the 96-03 uniforms with numbers on the sleeves instead of the leaping tiger logo. Essentially the best parts of the 80's and 90's uniforms together. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Not as long as you’re wearing them with those clownfish pants I’m not. 

No argument here. Feels like the Nemo pants were designed with this specific jersey in mind and I still think the other white pants would look better. I'll never understand why they chose to design the pants that way instead of just using black stripes on an orange fill like they've used since 1981. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

29 minutes ago, Sport said:

I'm not going to defend Nike or NFL properties because I have a lot of bones to pick with them, but it's fair to say the pendulum has swung and they've gone from overdesigning to underdesigning (save the Rams' silly uniforms). I prefer the latter because the misses are less visually distracting. I had a hard time watching the Buccaneers and Browns before their returns to normal because their uniforms were so stupid and upsetting looking. The Falcons new uniforms are awful and worse than the Vick look and I didn't really like the Vick look, but I don't find the Falcons new uniforms to be unwatchable in the way those Bucs unis were. I think that's the difference. 

We can all agree the Bucs were the nadir of NFL uniform design. That was the worst it could get on all possible levels and we're lucky it's gone.

(Though part of me thinks it would have been hilarious to see golden boy Tom Brady win a title with alarm clock numbers.)

1 hour ago, NFLfan10 said:

Here’s a bit of a stunner: Titans will be in navy over white.  Jets are wearing white at hime for the second straight home game to start the season. I think 2015 was the last time that happened.

Are the Jets wearing green pants this time? Last time they did WAH more than once was in 2016.

The Titans wore all white last time they visited NYJ. That was one of Tennessee's potential all white game. Outside of the AFC South division, New England will be the one other potential game that the Titans wear all white. It might not be known to some people, Tennessee wears the all white britches in stadiums that have an artificial turf.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, gothedistance said:

Last year the Raiders wore the silver numbers throwback when visiting the Chargers at Sofi Stadium. Are they in the regular road uniform this time? It's been worn once the last 3 years. The Raiders bust them out in November. If the pattern stays true, what game will it be? The Bengals game is ruled out for that, Cincinnati's uniform schedule is known.

My guess is probably Thanksgiving in Arlington. Cowboys will probably disappoint and wear Navy at home. Though I'd accept that if they brought back the double star for that game. But it looks piss poor on the Nike template.

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2021/04/09/49720f6f-c1ea-4d16-8ed1-2e5e0b72fe41/thumbnail/1200x675/52bbdf3008996cb5d54391c610ad3a7f/new-team.jpg

It’s a bit of an aside, but man, do I love that Chargers uniform. While you seem to not love the shade of blue, I absolutely do. The splashes of athletic gold, especially on the facemask, add to the look so much, as well.

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Compared to the 2021 version of that look:

Falcons_Giants_Football_47464.jpg

This Falcons look has grown on me immensely since its unveiling. The only combo I really despise is the all-white, it makes the black helmet look so out of place.

As for the Bengals, they’ve soured on me slightly since the initial release. I probably would have preferred if they went with an updated version of the 80’s/90’s look with the tiger-stripe panels. Having the stripes be free on the jersey but constrained by a panel on the pants looks so disjointed, to me.

I am excited to see the new orange jersey , though.

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

We can all agree the Bucs were the nadir of NFL uniform design. That was the worst it could get on all possible levels and we're lucky it's gone.

Yeah, probably.  Although I constantly found myself going back and forth between the Bucs' alarm clock uniform, the Browns "Browns down the pants" uniform, and the Titans' current abomination. All truly horrific in their own special ways.

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The only complaint I have about the Chargers uniforms is that on the blue jersey the bolt should be on the white panels like it used to be. It would be consistent where the bolt is always against a white background and also I just think it plain looks better.

qGeJvjt.jpg

I’m going to need a few minutes to compose myself, gentlemen. The Giants ruined a top 5 uniform and one of my all-time favorite looks. 

On a side note, these would be a lovely Cardinals away uniform. But for the Giants, considering what their away uniform was prior to this monstrosity? Awful.

Why do teams consistently ruin outstanding timeless looks for no apparent reason at all?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived