Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to reiterate how glad I am the Blue Jays didn't follow the trend of teams selling us on "retro" looks while changing to different, darker colors. After seeing the logo leak, especially where it looked like the royal blue was actually light blue, I feared the Blue Jays would say "We went back to the classic look, but we improved the the blue by making it darker." I would prefer if the bottom part of the logo was royal blue and the top was light blue like in the classic logo, but at least they made the caps and wordmarks royal. I'm glad they didn't shoehorn navy into an otherwise good look like the Bills just did.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.gif

vs.

Toronto_Blue_Jays_1977.png

Some early notices:

-2012 bird has a sharper beak and neckline.

-2012 bird is more into dark asthestics.

-2012 bird follows (what I think of it) the stupid trend in baseball on encapsing their logo in a circle.

-Only "Blue Jays" is stylized in double-letter effects in 2012.

-You see more grooves in the 1980s baseball; the 2012 version only has the baseball's sieves.

Overall, 8.75/10. The new logo somehow looks like "it got burned from your eyes like an irritant." Or that's how I see it.

Eh, I like it. Not fond of the throwback trend though, which is kinda sad. Too many teams throwback, but the Padres are the only team I think an updated throwback would truly be an update. But no, they had to bring out that :censored:.

The Jays font isn't the best, the two lined one. Not really feeling it.

Umm... How about a big red star to fill the void? No?

Last time I checked Dunedin was in Florida, not Soviet Russia. How about a palm tree or palm frond?

Sure. ANYTHING to vill the gaping void left by the maple leaf. It looks brutal with nothing there.

6uXNWAo.png

Eh, I like it. Not fond of the throwback trend though, which is kinda sad. Too many teams throwback, but the Padres are the only team I think an updated throwback would truly be an update. But no, they had to bring out that :censored:.

Are you cursing at the Jays or Padres?

The Jays font isn't the best, the two lined one. Not really feeling it.

It's a great homage to the World Series era look.

Memo to Miami Marlins:

This is how you do it.

So true. Really, we fans gripe all the time at how our sport marketing appears to be tone deaf, then we get an outstanding unveiling like this and our faith is restored.

Also I'd like to say that the Seattle Sounders could learn a little about what the Jays did today. Their new "alternate" jersey is about the most God-awful soccer jersey I've ever seen.

Well, through this all, we managed to get #sportslogosnet trending on Twitter, and also managed to sink the mothership from the traffic. I know I personally sent 4 of my classmates to the site at the same time. Way to represent, people.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I give this makeover a solid A, whereas the original World Series-era uniforms were an A+ in my book. I think the original royal and light blue shades were a bit better.

The split middle O on the new road jersey is really bugging me. The originals had a nice O right on the placket.

pMLB2-11683900dt.jpgtorontobluejayspathentgen1993WSjersey.jpg

I give this makeover a solid A, whereas the original World Series-era uniforms were an A+ in my book. I think the original royal and light blue shades were a bit better.

The split middle O on the new road jersey is really bugging me. The originals had a nice O right on the placket.

pMLB2-11683900dt.jpgtorontobluejayspathentgen1993WSjersey.jpg

The split O is annoying me a bit, too. I'm afraid during games we'll see something like TOR(ONTO.

spacer.png

And their FSL affiliate in Dunedin has already joined the awesomeness party:

NEWDUNEDIN.jpg

Good way to make the D-Jays unique, yet still tie in to their parent club!

Yeah, that empty space on the side is really gonna bug me.

Memo to Miami Marlins:

This is how you do it.

Their response?

I love the new Blue Jays identity. Of course, nothing will ever look "perfect" to every single person looking at it. That image picking it apart kind of went overboard though. Oh well, the identity looks great to me, and I really like the color scheme and the color balance on the uniforms. They look amazing. I'm a red Sox fan and I'm still fighting the urge to buy a new cap. I look forward to seeing these on the field next year.

Archived