2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

The Lightning have never had a really good uniform. Given time they should come up with a more interesting identity. Something revolving around Zeus would be cool as long as black and Honolulu blue remain the main colors.

Midway.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honolulu Blue is not a Lightning color. Tampa Bay uses a dark royal blue. Honolulu Blue is for the Detroit Lions.

EDIT: I skipped over the post above about the original look being Honolulu Blue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Didn't ColorWerx once say that the Lightning's blue started brighter, but darkened through the years? I may be remembering wrong, of course.

Once the Lightning dropped their custom numbers and went to a plain block, it sapped a lot of character out of their jerseys. The Paintbrush numbers were okay, but the silver, 3-D, italicized, modified block from 1993-94 was perfect for them.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The real problem with those are the white yokes. White yokes almost never look good, and especially with no outlines.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

As I've said in the past, I think the Lightning should've taken their Edge logo, their Edge alternate, slapped the logo onto it, and remove the piping.

lightningquickmockup_zps4d029d88.png

White version of that for the roads, black alternate, and there ya go. Alas..

Aside from the pit stains (why not make the panels blue?), that is beautiful!

I spent all of 5 minutes using the pen tool on photoshop for that mockup off of the jersey graphic on the mothership when I made it last summer to make a point, but yeah, losing the arm pits would make that mockup even better.

Also a fun little anecdote: this will be only the 3rd Stanley Cup Final between a team in a red sweater and a team in a blue sweater since 1980. The other two were Red Wings-Capitals in 1998 and Hurricanes-Oilers in 2006.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

If the Dolts win the Cup in their current trash, they'll never change.

Well, not for the next four years at least.

If the Dolts win the Cup in their current trash, they'll never change.

I donno. They won it in a tweaked version of their inaugural set and then changed because...Saw, I guess.

Okay, that was a bit of an overstatement. But, should they win, I can't see Yzerman and co changing it as long as they're around, since that would seem to validate their goal of establishing a Timeless, Old-Tyme Hockey Brand with a winning tradition.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

All Star logo looks great. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the 2016 draft logo. I've come to actually really like those. I like how they've kept the theme consistent while tailoring each one to the individual location.

Super Bowl, take notice.

All Star logo looks great. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the 2016 draft logo. I've come to actually really like those. I like how they've kept the theme consistent while tailoring each one to the individual location.

Super Bowl, take notice.

My guess: Canalside

Canal%20Side-1-X2.jpg

Didn't ColorWerx once say that the Lightning's blue started brighter, but darkened through the years? I may be remembering wrong, of course.

Once the Lightning dropped their custom numbers and went to a plain block, it sapped a lot of character out of their jerseys. The Paintbrush numbers were okay, but the silver, 3-D, italicized, modified block from 1993-94 was perfect for them.

When they switched to block font that's when they went to a darker shade of blue, in 2001.

The Lightning have never had a really good uniform. Given time they should come up with a more interesting identity. Something revolving around Zeus would be cool as long as black and Honolulu blue remain the main colors.

They created many concept logos centered around Zeus, during the 2011 rebrand

Lol dammit. I wanted to know what he said.

Anyway I looked back at the rebrand process bit and you could tell how they clearly wanted to emulate a style they're not known for. It irks me that they and the Canes aren't even being subtle about playing copy cat when they can develop respectable identities of their own.

Midway.png

Look, the Lightning jerseys are boring and O6 rip-offs, but where did the revisionist history come from where their inaugural jerseys are anything but hideous? The logo is one of the worst in NHL history, the template is just as boring as the new one, and the three colours blend together horribly. At least the new ones aren't an eyesore, and honestly if they added black trim they'd be pretty damn good.

Lightning11.png

Those weren't great, but there is potential.

The striping actually works for me. It's everything they wanted out of the current set- traditional and simple. Where is excels is in the area of not looking like the striping pattern of an existing team.

The logo set is a mess, but they fixed that with the Edge set (the only improvement that set made). Colour-wise? Black and royal blue do bleed into each other, but the team didn't start with royal blue. Their original shade of blue was the lighter Detroit Lions-esque Honolulu blue.

So I guess what I'm saying is this. Take this uniform, use the Edge era logo set, and replace royal blue with Honolulu blue. Boom.

I agree with this, but think they should take the blue further. What about... electric blue? Like the Carolina Panther, but maybe a tad brighter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You know back in 1992 I was graduating High School and I remember when the Lightning and Senators unveiled their uniforms. I had a friend who had a part time job at a sport shop and he was showing me the new Lighting stuff they got in, and I remember how bland I thought the logo and uniforms were. A generic lightning bolt with the team name written around it! I also thought they were a rip off of the Kings with the black and silver color combo just with some blue thrown in.

After all these years (where does the time go?) I still think they have one of the dullest looks in the league. In my opinion they and the Jets (both original and current) have always had a dull generic identity.

The Catch of the Day!

Chris just tweeted the new Coyotes unis will be unveiled on 6/26.

I thought the current design was perfectly fine to be honest. Certainly beat the one before it. Hopefully they don't try to cash in on the 90s nostalgia trend. :/

83476a.jpgVancouver-Whitecaps-Logo.jpgSeattle_Mariners_Logo.png

Archived