Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

34 minutes ago, JLJ said:

I feel almost every attempt at “completing” the logo we’ve seen posted here has been a downgrade. I think they stopped at the right point. While the aforementioned Cowboys star isn’t much of a logo either, I’d argue adding more details like a bevel would be an epic fail. Sometimes minimalism works.

I’ve got nothing against minimalism (I actually quite like minimalism), and I never said it needed a more detail. My argument is that it should be more refined. And just because some attempts at doing so haven’t panned well, that doesn’t mean another take couldn’t work. 

Proper refinement could take the form of a variety of different tweaks that aren’t extensive, and could even be subtractive. As for me personally, I would’ve done something about the rounded ends of the horns and facial details that are giving off the stylus drawn look, and try to define the eye a little bit better (it doesn’t need a yellow or white pupil, but right now I think it looks too much like only the brow and could be re-rendered to read a little better, rather than added to). That’s just me, though.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Ram's head logo is IMO a clear upgrade over the angry-face St. Louis one.

The quoted above is spot on, though for whatever reason, a lot of the general consensus about this rebranding would tend to disagree with that by lumping it in with the LA logo and the rumored changes to the uniforms. (That's not to say the STL logo was bad; it's not, or at least I don't think so. But the new one feels like a fairly logical modernization of the several rams heads the Rams have used in the past.)

All you'd need to do is add a line for the mouth and already the logo would look a hell of a lot less incomplete. Compare it to the Cards logo on that same image; one looks finished, the other looks like it's still missing things. The bottom of the logo is basically just a nose and then...a blob of white. The Cards logo has a clearly-defined line for the mouth, which helps it feel finished. The Rams' doesn't and it looks like it skipped a step in the design process.

1 hour ago, JLJ said:

Ram head looks right at home next to these other logos.

Clevejacking: Why do the Broncos and Patriots get credit for the AFL but the Browns (and 49ers) don't get credit for the AAFC? Do they consider the AFL to have merged while the AAFC survivors were absorbed?  Also who gets credit for the Steagles 5 wins?

11 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Clevejacking: Why do the Broncos and Patriots get credit for the AFL but the Browns (and 49ers) don't get credit for the AAFC? Do they consider the AFL to have merged while the AAFC survivors were absorbed?

According to the league, official score sheets weren't available to the NFL when they merged with the AAFC and that's why the AAFC games aren't counted; they chose to ignore said records due to a lack of scoresheets to verify authenticity.

56 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yea but not having an eye or mouth makes it lack "soul" like some of the other logos have. 

i think the reason that it has no soul is really more because these logos have no history like the other ones do

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No matter how many times that gets posted, it’s still inferior to the actual logo. 

I think if you remove the LA it's much better. The new logo definitely needs an eye. Probably mouth too. Unless they're going for a skill look.

What bothers me about the Ram Head logo, is that they attempted to use gradients to put detail into the horns and ear, and then left the face white.

I enjoy the minimalism, but be consistent. 

I think it looks better with just solid colors. Get rid of the sunset orange and the bone grey. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm a fan of the Ram head logo, and, if asked, I can certainly think of a dozen or so sports logos I dislike more than the LA logo.

name 'em. And just so you're not picking some 70's, 80's, or 90's monstrosities, they have to currently be in use, because it would be an argument in bad faith if you compared something that didn't last until today to something specifically created to fit modern trends (in no way does making a ram head logo on its own specifically "respect the past", btw).

10 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

name 'em. And just so you're not picking some 70's, 80's, or 90's monstrosities, they have to currently be in use, because it would be an argument in bad faith if you compared something that didn't last until today to something specifically created to fit modern trends (in no way does making a ram head logo on its own specifically "respect the past", btw).

Ha!  OK, didn't see that coming, I admit, but I'll give it a go...

From the NFL; Browns (the helmet, not the elf), the Ravens (derpy bird with a letter stuck on it's head), and since it was in use up until last year, I'll throw the outgoing Rams' head, although I won't need it.

From MLB, the Rockies' weird half circle, giant flying baseball thing, and the Indians, who get big points for dropping that despicable face, but forgot to replace it.

From the NHL; The Kings bad font and lack of imagination, the Predictors' high school / heavy metal / greased-up cat, and the Ducks' giant foot, who's biggest crime is not being a duck faced goalie mask.

From the NBA; the Knicks for attempting to combine 3-point perspective and a vertical arch, the Mavericks for having waaay too much going on, and what appears to be lightning bolts attacking a horse, and the Clippers and the Thunder, because come on.

And finally, although I will be viciously attacked, the Lakers might have history on their side, and although I wouldn't tell them they need to change it, that thing is not good.  It's not.

Wow... that wasn't as hard as I thought.

7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ha!  OK, didn't see that coming, I admit, but I'll give it a go...

From the NFL; Browns (the helmet, not the elf), the Ravens (derpy bird with a letter stuck on it's head), and since it was in use up until last year, I'll throw the outgoing Rams' head, although I won't need it.

From MLB, the Rockies' weird half circle, giant flying baseball thing, and the Indians, who get big points for dropping that despicable face, but forgot to replace it.

From the NHL; The Kings bad font and lack of imagination, the Predictors' high school / heavy metal / greased-up cat, and the Ducks' giant foot, who's biggest crime is not being a duck faced goalie mask.

From the NBA; the Knicks for attempting to combine 3-point perspective and a vertical arch, the Mavericks for having waaay too much going on, and what appears to be lightning bolts attacking a horse, and the Clippers and the Thunder, because come on.

And finally, although I will be viciously attacked, the Lakers might have history on their side, and although I wouldn't tell them they need to change it, that thing is not good.  It's not.

Wow... that wasn't as hard as I thought.

You forgot the easiest one:

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

According to the league, official score sheets weren't available to the NFL when they merged with the AAFC and that's why the AAFC games aren't counted; they chose to ignore said records due to a lack of scoresheets to verify authenticity.

But they recognize the Browns championships?

Archived