Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

19 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

From the NFL; Browns (the helmet, not the elf), the Ravens (derpy bird with a letter stuck on it's head), and since it was in use up until last year, I'll throw the outgoing Rams' head, although I won't need it.

In an effort to steer this thread back on track a bit, but moreso because I've been wondering this for a long time, and because yours is probably one of the opinions I'd actually respect: What was wrong with the old Rams logo? I don't know if my homerism of being a diehard St. Louis Rams fan shows but, hell, I always thought that that logo was in the top 10 of the league easily. I hear all the time how people dislike it and I've often wondered why. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, VikWings said:

I think if you remove the LA it's much better. The new logo definitely needs an eye. Probably mouth too. Unless they're going for a skill look.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

I'm indifferent to every change but the eye, how is the pupil not an improvement?

The problem with that eye is that it’s too similar to the left horn.  The shape, the color.  Especially when reduced in size, which is kinda the point of that logo. 

I’m not opposed to the idea of an eye, but that’s not it. 

2 minutes ago, AHcreative said:

In an effort to steer this thread back on track a bit, but moreso because I've been wondering this for a long time, and because yours is probably one of the opinions I'd actually respect: What was wrong with the old Rams logo? I don't know if my homerism of being a diehard St. Louis Rams fan shows but, hell, I always thought that that logo was in the top 10 of the league easily. I hear all the time how people dislike it and I've often wondered why. 

It’s the neck. 

That ugly, oversized, steroid-packed weightlifter neck.  Throws off the whole balance, ruins the curve of the logo with an awkward point.  Self-consciously trying to give the sense of motion.  So very 1990s. 

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s the neck.

That ugly, oversized, steroid-packed weightlifter neck. Throws off the whole balance, ruins the curve of the logo with an awkward point. Self-consciously trying to give the sense of motion. So very 1990s.

Sounds to me like you're describing the Denver Broncos logo perfectly.

10 minutes ago, AHcreative said:

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s the neck. 

That ugly, oversized, steroid-packed weightlifter neck.  Throws off the whole balance, ruins the curve of the logo with an awkward point.  Self-consciously trying to give the sense of motion.  So very 1990s. 

Yeah, I'd second all of that. It's sort of a full on 90's agro thing.  Plus, I'm just so tired of angry animals. Why are the animals so mad? Is every animal just totally pissed off 24/7?  It's starts to look like a bit of a parody.

But to be honest, I really wouldn't put it as low on the list of all the other logos I rattled off. It's not really terrible, just a bit dated and in need of replacing IMO.  I probably just stuck in on the list to be a bit of a richard, since the new Rams' logos are taking so much heat.

35 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

You forgot the easiest one:

spacer.png

This souvenir-shop penny of a disaster rebrand is going to be a great trivia question in 30 years, if MLS has that kind of cultural cachet in time. The logo that made it 2 games before a global pandemic mercy-killed it.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, ramsker said:

What bothers me about the Ram Head logo, is that they attempted to use gradients to put detail into the horns and ear, and then left the face white.

I enjoy the minimalism, but be consistent. 

I think it looks better with just solid colors. Get rid of the sunset orange and the bone grey.

The 3-color version is close. It's too bad that it's an "alternate version for limited use."

I think your concept, without the extra blue line in the horn (3 COLOR) works better.

rLJ3oJ0.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I don’t like angry animals but I like that ^ ram head much better than the real thing, and all I can come up with is that the real thing looks a bit too fossil-like. “Dead for millennia” is a bad sports brand!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

18 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Remove the LA and the gradients and it's an upgrade, the nose, eye, snout, all of it is done better than the current one. 

I like the LA, makes it a full on primary to me. Love this concept actually

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

It’s the neck. 

Same complaint but looking at it differently...I don't see a weightlifter neck, I see a triangle apropos of nothing.   I get a real Buffaslug vibe with the head coming out of an abstract shape.  I guess necks are frequent problems, one reason they're often placed next to wordmarks to avoid the problem at the margins.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ha!  OK, didn't see that coming, I admit, but I'll give it a go...

From the NFL; Browns (the helmet, not the elf), the Ravens (derpy bird with a letter stuck on it's head), and since it was in use up until last year, I'll throw the outgoing Rams' head, although I won't need it.

From MLB, the Rockies' weird half circle, giant flying baseball thing, and the Indians, who get big points for dropping that despicable face, but forgot to replace it.

From the NHL; The Kings bad font and lack of imagination, the Predictors' high school / heavy metal / greased-up cat, and the Ducks' giant foot, who's biggest crime is not being a duck faced goalie mask.

From the NBA; the Knicks for attempting to combine 3-point perspective and a vertical arch, the Mavericks for having waaay too much going on, and what appears to be lightning bolts attacking a horse, and the Clippers and the Thunder, because come on.

And finally, although I will be viciously attacked, the Lakers might have history on their side, and although I wouldn't tell them they need to change it, that thing is not good.  It's not.

Wow... that wasn't as hard as I thought.

Some of these I have some serious quarrels with (the Ducks' foot and Ravens head in particular) but I can understand the reasoning behind each pick. And honestly, the Lakers logo would be so much better if they kept the original color of the wordmark light blue, because the nonsensical speed lines were originally water (remembered vectorizing this in the Lakers thread from a few years ago)

bmXX2Dx.png

EDIT: Just gonna :censored: on the ram head logo because I genuinely think the LA horn :censored: is better than the ram. The Horn LA probably the worst logo in the league (except for the browns). The new ram head's jaw is too fat and makes the whole thing feel sluggish and lacking movement, while the old ram logo, although extremely detailed, felt correctly proportioned and was also dynamic. Also the ram's eye thing is in the wrong place for the perspective to work, or the left ram horn needs to be tweaked. The rounded tip of the center line also throws me off a bit, because the only other rounded tip is the horn (which could've been pointed and had a visibly even weighted outline without it eating up too much of the face). Now onto the easy insults.

- It looks like an app icon

- I swear I saw this from a Kazakhstani UI/UX designer on dribbble before

- I swear this was made for a fitness company or something dumb that has a target demographic of a bunch of metrosexual 20-somethings.

- The pupil thing is bogus but the eye is so :censored:in  L A Z Y

- It'S nOt A sPoRtS lOgO (to be fair, lots of non sports sports logos are cool, such as Inter Miami and a lot of monograms)

One thing we also seem to forget is that they had 4 years, if not possibly more, to conduct market research and consult more then just Demoff about the lgoos they picked. It's not good that none of the elements go together (the ram logo, the LA, or the wordmark). It was poorly done, and theres no way getting around the otherworldly expectations they set for themselves by deciding to release their logo and uniforms when they opened LA Stadium at Hollywood Park (not recognizing any company that actively profits on the fundamental mistreatment of the poor or young people).

55 minutes ago, TJSC said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RamsTodayIG/status/1258989759256391681

"I’ve already seen the uniforms and I will say this:

- Gradient Numbers (home jersey only)

- Bone color away jerseys

- The horns remain on the helmet, but a modernized version (like you see it on the new logo)

- I think it looks really cool imo"

Other than the gradient numbers, I’m satisfied. Just wish they’d go with a yellow home jersey...or at least have it (hopefully) as an alternate.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Man for info that's feels real from what I know from here that's still not enough for me to get a sense of absolute :censored: show or would be okay if it weren't for gradient numbers. I know that guy hated the first half the new look we've seen, that makes me feel like they won't be a total :censored: show and more along the lines of one bad design element spoil an otherwise decent look. I'm actually okay with a grey road uniform but would very much prefer they go yellow if they wanted a unique road uniform though. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

5 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

Man for info that's feels real from what I know from here that's still not enough for me to get a sense of absolute :censored: show or would be okay if it weren't for gradient numbers. I know that guy hated the first half the new look we've seen, that makes me feel like they won't be a total :censored: show and more along the lines of one bad design element spoil an otherwise decent look. I'm actually okay with a grey road uniform but would very much prefer they go yellow if they wanted a unique road uniform though. 

Keep yellow for home. I wonder if the NFL considers yellow a “road” color though?

Off-white would be preferable over “bone” IMHO.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Archived