Unpopular Opinions

3 hours ago, washingtonspride said:

I really, really, really hate the St. Louis Blues jerseys. The dark blue doesn’t look good at all to me and I feel that they should just put more yellow into the jersey, or replace the dark blue with their old red.

Never liked the navy either. The away unis have a lot less of it and are better off for it. Both need to ditch the shoulder yoke though. The throwback third jerseys are far and away their best

I haven't checked this thread in awhile, and this has probably been said plenty of times, but here goes.

I believe the current Dolphins set is one of the best they have ever worn, and they should never switch back to the throwbacks as a full time option. I know how much the throwback sets get brought up here, but I think they are just too dark and stiff for a city like Miami. The current look, while maybe too streamlined sometimes, has a better color scheme, good logo, and simple uniforms that utilize all those elements to *almost* perfection. It's crisp, clean, and, to an extent, classy. I understand that it may be over-modernized, but I don't think the throwbacks are a better set, even with all the history behind them. Let it stick around as a throwback, where the heritage behind it can be recognized. 

As a whole, I have never been a fan of teams switching back to throwback sets for the sake of popularity. IMO, if teams want to switch back, there needs to be some modernized elements mixed in. Teams like the Blue Jays, Astros, Padres, Brewers, Maple Leafs, Browns, Chargers, Buccaneers, 76ers, Wizards, etc. are the blueprints for taking a popular throwback look, and fixing elements to make a more appropriate for a modern environment. Not that all throwback looks are bad, but I feel that every rebrand needs a step forward, whether it be big or small.

Of course this isn't the case for every team. For example, the Flames recent redesign maybe be a full throwback, but it feels much better than what they wore previously.

• Like 7

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Most of you are all wrong about the current Rams set for boring and predictable reasons.

I said it and I meant it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Edmonton Oilers identity is bad. It's so painfully stuck in the past. At least the current color combo is sharp and interesting, and the orange jersey is bold and fun. But the rest is garbage. The identity was born out of an era in which hockey uniforms were just random stripes and blocks of color. The trend of colored shoulders was overdone, and the striping patterns were way off when it came to sizing and color balance. Hell, they didn't even leave room for sleeve numbers at first (the Oilers originally used shoulder numbers was a member of the WHA). And don't even get me started on the outdated groovy logo...

GettyImages-56186814-1024x709.jpg

screen-shot-2017-10-14-at-3-56-17-pm.png

The Oilers jerseys from the 80's look like they're counterfeit. I know that's more about the production style and quality of hockey uniforms at that time, but that's kind of my point. The whole era looked awful, and the Oilers are the poster child for the awfulness.

It's too bad they were so damn successful during that era...

• Like 3

The Eagles have fantastic uniforms. It really is a shame they get overshadowed by the “nEEds tO bE keLLy gReeN” sentiment that gets shoved down our throats. The midnight green they currently use is beautiful in every way. Yes, the newer matte midnight green. Not the shiny (yet somehow dull) midnight green from years prior.

spacer.png

However, one thing needs to change. They, much like the Ravens, suffer from a sub-par number font that is in desperate need of a facelift.

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The Eagles have fantastic uniforms. It really is a shame they get overshadowed by the “nEEds tO bE keLLy gReeN” sentiment that gets shoved down our throats. The midnight green they currently use is beautiful in every way. Yes, the newer matte midnight green. Not the shiny (yet somehow dull) midnight green from years prior.

spacer.png

However, one thing needs to change. They, much like the Ravens, suffer from a sub-par number font that is in desperate need of a facelift.

I agree. Can't stand the NiKe MiDnIgHt GrEeN iS tOo BlUe talk. It looks great whatever color you want to call it.

• Like 2

fiowXOD.png

On 1/26/2021 at 12:10 AM, Bmac said:

The Edmonton Oilers identity is bad. It's so painfully stuck in the past. At least the current color combo is sharp and interesting, and the orange jersey is bold and fun. But the rest is garbage. The identity was born out of an era in which hockey uniforms were just random stripes and blocks of color. The trend of colored shoulders was overdone, and the striping patterns were way off when it came to sizing and color balance. Hell, they didn't even leave room for sleeve numbers at first (the Oilers originally used shoulder numbers was a member of the WHA). And don't even get me started on the outdated groovy logo...

GettyImages-56186814-1024x709.jpg

screen-shot-2017-10-14-at-3-56-17-pm.png

The Oilers jerseys from the 80's look like they're counterfeit. I know that's more about the production style and quality of hockey uniforms at that time, but that's kind of my point. The whole era looked awful, and the Oilers are the poster child for the awfulness.

It's too bad they were so damn successful during that era...

Couldn't agree more. Without Gretzky and the Cups, they would have changed the logo and jerseys a long time ago

Honestly, the Blues look great with red. and before people say that they are the blues, they should be blue and not red, I will draw attention to the fact that they were named after blues music and not the colour. Plus rocking all 3 primary colours like this is actually a great look. maybe a thin yellow stripe above the red stripe on the pants for balancing and this is a real winner. 
 EEb-MtXWsAMVt5k.jpeg?format=2500w

• Like 4

zyyMk1d.png

On 1/26/2021 at 8:40 PM, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

I think they should ditch the black (or keep it as an accent only) and streamline to a midnight green and silver look. I wouldn't mind a swap to a kelly identity but I agree that midnight green looks great. And yes, the number font is outdated trash.

Also, not a fan of their logo. It lacking in the primary color and an angry eagle head just feels so paint by numbers. An updated flying eagle would be better, to me.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

I do really like the Midnight Green. There are some great concepts on here that remove the black that I really liked. Bring back the silver as the secondary color

On 1/27/2021 at 11:22 PM, clonewars2008 said:

Plus rocking all 3 primary colours like this is actually a great look. 

I could not disagree more. IMO the only way to make all three primary colours work is to have subdued versions of at least some if not all of them, a la the Nuggets.

I like bright, vibrant uniforms as much as the next poster here, but having bright vibrant versions of all three primary colours is just eye-searing. Its the colour scheme I'd expect inside an old fast food restaurant or preschool.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 9:42 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Couldn't agree more. Without Gretzky and the Cups, they would have changed the logo and jerseys a long time ago

So if things were different they'd be different. Great, gotcha.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:50 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The "Buffaslug" is underappreciated. I think, had they took a little inspiration from the Buffalo Bills logo, I think the logo could've survived a lot longer then it did.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:45 PM, QCS said:

Actually, I'll add to that: the Buffaslug is the best logo the Sabres have ever had. It is far, far better than their current logo and it's obviously better than the goathead.

I know this is the "unpopular opinion" thread but geeze....the Buffaslug? I was posting here when that thing debuted and, save for one diehard Sabres fan who was determined not to be disappointed, everyone hated it. Even the other Sabres fans. And I mean everyone. It was one of those "everyone came together" dealios 😛

I mean you guys live your truth and all, but wow...that's a journey I just can't go on. The Buffaslug, to me, is the poster child of both a franchise misreading its fanbase and just bad design in general.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I know this is the "unpopular opinion" thread but geeze....the Buffaslug? I was posting here when that thing debuted and, save for one diehard Sabres fan who was determined not to be disappointed, everyone hated it. Even the other Sabres fans. And I mean everyone. It was one of those "everyone came together" dealios 😛

I mean you guys live your truth and all, but wow...that's a journey I just can't go on. The Buffaslug, to me, is the poster child of both a franchise misreading its fanbase and just bad design in general.

I'll clarify my position on this: the Buffaslug is the best logo they've had, but it's not the logo they should have, if that makes sense. From a design standpoint, I like it more than "Charging Buffalo, Crossed Swords" and the Goathead. It's similar to my opinion on the Pistons: I prefer the horse logo, but I recognize that their current logo is the one they should use due to nostalgia.

the user formerly known as cdclt