kimball

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Well, if you don't know/care about Isiah Thomas, Dennis Rodman, and Bill Laimbeer mugging Michael Jordan on the way to two championships and then being the final obstacle to Jordan's greatness, maybe you're a lousy basketball fan and deserve your crappy teal shirt.

Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. Everything else is just white noise. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Olmec said:

I don't know what the "bad boys" are nor do I care. All I know is if I ever moved to Detroit I would like the horse logo (either color scheme) on my fan gear rather than a red ball with white text. 

Within the last week on this board, I've seen somebody say the Heat's colors and logo are a rip-off of the Raptors... and now this. If you have no concept of a team's history then it's impossible to take your opinions seriously.

44 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. Everything else is just white noise. 

How would you know, since you're unaware of the Bad Boys. You don't strike me as much of an NBA historian.

You don't need to be a sports historian to pick a t-shirt to wear to a game. I like the way the horse looks over the red basketball, so I would purchase the t-shirt with that logo. 

You also don't need to be a historian to know that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time because that is simply a fact, like George Washington being the first president of the United States. 

10 hours ago, Olmec said:

I don't know what the "bad boys" are nor do I care.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngYou should watch the 30 for 30. One of the things that makes His Airness so great is the fact that he overcame the Bad Boys. They're such an important,  major piece to league history. Maybe at least try some YouTube clips? 🤷‍♂️

The Pistons gotta get back to straight-across athletic block for NOBs. It's such an important detail in looking like a no-nonsense team. They don't even bother to arch their names, what other sort of niceties will they bypass?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, Olmec said:

You don't need to be a sports historian to pick a t-shirt to wear to a game. I like the way the horse looks over the red basketball, so I would purchase the t-shirt with that logo. 

You also don't need to be a historian to know that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time because that is simply a fact, like George Washington being the first president of the United States. 

Except this isn't how professional sports branding works. Logos & uniforms can't be viewed in a vacuum, you need to understand the historical context and brand association that has been developed over time.

The horse logo is a product of the '90s sports marketing boom, where the narrow minded view of "choose whatever looks coolest on a t-shirt", or "choose something kids will like" was rampant. It worked ok for new teams like the Hornets & Raptors, who had no history, but for teams like the Pistons & Rockets it was just cannibalizing their legacy to sell a few extra Starter jackets.

The fact that you haven't even heard of the Bad Boys, let alone care about them, tells me that you aren't the type of consumer the Pistons were worrying about when making the decision to go back to the classic style logo. They chose to return to a brand that lifelong Pistons fans have associated with championships & Hall of Fame players.

21 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Except this isn't how professional sports branding works. Logos & uniforms can't be viewed in a vacuum, you need to understand the historical context and brand association that has been developed over time.

The horse logo is a product of the '90s sports marketing boom, where the narrow minded view of "choose whatever looks coolest on a t-shirt", or "choose something kids will like" was rampant. It worked ok for new teams like the Hornets & Raptors, who had no history, but for teams like the Pistons & Rockets it was just cannibalizing their legacy to sell a few extra Starter jackets.

The fact that you haven't even heard of the Bad Boys, let alone care about them, tells me that you aren't the type of consumer the Pistons were worrying about when making the decision to go back to the classic style logo. They chose to return to a brand that lifelong Pistons fans have associated with championships & Hall of Fame players.

Theirs also some more professionality in a brand that’s 50 years old compared to “wow a cool horse logo”

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 5/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, Olmec said:

These aren’t nearly the same. There are plenty of metrics that can be pointed to that suggest Jordan isn’t the greatest of all time.

He’s 4th in win shares behind Wilt, Kareem, Karl Malone, and Lebron.

He’s tied for 10th in Championships won, again, behind Kareem.

He’s 5th in career point scored behind Kareem, Lebron, Malone, and Kobe

Kareem has one more MVP award than Jordan. He has more NCAA Championships, more ncaa player of the year honors, literally got dunking banned in college.

Wilt scored so many point in a season they had to add the paint and make it a restricted area, and then he STILL dominated.

Am I saying that Jordan isn’t the greatest ever? No. But there are plenty of metrics where you could make an argument for another player.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/17/2019 at 2:23 PM, spartacat_12 said:

That's a fine reason, and I think that the Pistons aren't the first team to look at for rebranding, even just in the NBA. However, just because it's got nostalgia tied to it, doesn't make it a good logo. Personally, I would like to see the Pistons find something a little more creative than "name in red and blue ball", but clearly because of the nostalgia attached to the "Bad Boys"-era logo, that won't happen anytime soon. The Pistons haven't been very creative throughout their history, and the horse was at least something new, but clearly they didn't need something new.

the user formerly known as cdclt

So lemme get this straight. we all like the current pistons logo just because it’s nostalgic? I don’t wanna be one of those people who judge based on looks but I would change back to the horse logo if I was the pistons. I understand the nostalgia aspect but branding is branding and not everyone knows about the historical significance of the current logo

IMG-7122.gif

1 hour ago, pelicanfan said:

So lemme get this straight. we all like the current pistons logo just because it’s nostalgic? I don’t wanna be one of those people who judge based on looks but I would change back to the horse logo if I was the pistons. I understand the nostalgia aspect but branding is branding and not everyone knows about the historical significance of the current logo

Their target market and any fan over the age of 30 knows about the nostalgia and reasoning behind the branding

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

14 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

What are you trying to achieve though, as the Pistons?

If it's just to have the (subjectively) coolest logo, that's fine. But for an old, storied franchise like the Pistons, nostalgia and a classic look is so much more engaging for fans.

Sports branding isn't about gaining new fans, you do that by winning and having marketable players. Sports branding is about engaging your fanbase and getting them to care enough to part with their money. Because of that, the target market doesn't really include people who don't know about the historical significance.

35 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

If it's just to have the (subjectively) coolest logo, that's fine. But for an old, storied franchise like the Pistons, nostalgia and a classic look is so much more engaging for fans.

I feel like they've been trying to do both (albeit unsuccessfully) with all of the terrible alternates they've rolled out over the last 10 years.

While I think the horse is a better logo in a vacuum, the Pistons have so much history behind the Bad Boys look (and its subsequent revival) that I don't mind. My only wish is that they add a vertical line in the center of the basketball, so it looks more like a basketball and less like a football or rugby ball with two circles around it.

ExJworW.png

Finals Lockervision shows the Raptors playing it fairly traditional, with only the primary white at home and the earned North on the road. I really like that red/white/hint of silver look for the Raptors so I like it. Warriors wearing black for 2 potential closeout games in game 4 and 6 irks me though

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Lockervision says

G1: Raptors (White) vs. Warriors (Icon)

G2: Raptors (White) vs. Warriors (Icon)

G3: Warriors (White) vs. Raptors (Red North)

G4: Warriors (The Town) vs. Raptors (Red North)

G5: Raptors (White) vs. Warriors (Icon)

G6: Warriors (The Town) vs. Raptors (Red North)

G7: Raptors (White) vs. Warriors (Icon)

The fact that there could potentially be two games in the damn championship where both the teams aren't wearing their names on their jerseys is so :censored:ing infuriating and nothing short of embarrassing for the league.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Archived