Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest, when those photos leaked, I thought I would hate them.

But I think these are a good update for the Falcons, barring a few changes that should have been made.

Obviously the "ATL" on the front is too big, that should have been shrunk. I also think that if the side panel had just been limited to the pants and not the side of the jerseys, these would look absolutely great. As of right now, I give this a solid 7/10, with the old uniforms probably being a 6/10 to me. 

No offense to anyone, but these boards tend to get a hive mind with stuff like this. Once a few people pile on, everyone else follows in line. Well, I like these. As long as they don't go monochrome too often this will be a success. 

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, alecgoff said:

I feel like with a few tweaks, this uniform won't be the worst in the league.

falcons-21432.png

The chest ATL looks much smaller here than in other images, and is much better. I hope they go with this size but there are way more photos with the larger ATL so seems unlikely.

More likely someone saw the smaller one and said "make it bigger".

The white on white is my favorite.

The whole set still has a strong Texas Tech vibe (but TT does it better IMO). 

Hopefully people will stop saying "Hmmm I'm not sure these are real"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The one good quality to these is that if you look at them head on (and it’s ONLY at that angle, you lose this at any other) the side panel is thin enough that you don’t see it from the very front and from a distance it looks kind of like an attempt at a modernized throwback. BUT, that’s about it. The rest is not good. It’s not the absolute worst uniform I’ve ever seen by any means, but it’s certainly one of the most disappointing. 

Lets start with the chrome (edit: silver) facemask. Why is it there at all? It only matches (kind of) with the logo’s silver outline (which is unnecessary in and of itself) and nothing else on that uniform. It’s just there to be fire emoji, and that’s never a good reason.

”ATL”? You kidding me? And that big? City abbreviations have been a tired gimmick in the NBA for way too long; I don’t like the idea of it catching on the NFL, too. “FALCONS” at a traditional size suffices.

The side panels I think are what were giving me the already-dated vibes I mentioned in a post earlier. Something about those things (in addition to chrome facemask) make this set overall look like a college uniform from the early-mid 2010’s and that’s really bothering me. No uniform unveiled in 2020 should give off those vibes. Ever.

Lastly, they made a red pants option that literally does not match with any jersey, thanks to said side panel. Every panel on the jersey is red, and the red pants’ panel is black. You’re telling me a room full of professional designers and another room of  team officials didn’t think that egregious mismatch was going to be a problem? Sure it’s not a primary option. Sure it’s only going to be worn a few games a year. But that oversight is representative of the larger problem; this set was not designed to work, it was designed to be a “cool new drip” and its days are already numbered. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 minute ago, chriscj83 said:

They added a gray/silver facemask, but no gray/silver pants, which they have a history of.

They'd look okay too-- (sorry I threw it together quick this a.m.)

spacer.png

Yea, this would be the best one easily if it actually existed.  I'll never fully understand why some teams decide to incorporate 3 colors into one element of a uniform, and then just 2 for other areas.  Theoretically, if they did this and incorporated some grey in the number shadows to compliment the red (like TB does with black/orange/white), or worked it in somehow to as a drop shadow to the ATL, it might really pop. and be a pretty complimentary set. 

1 hour ago, BlazerBlaze said:

Somebody explain the hate for the ATL wordmark on the front please. Because as a native son of the ATL I don't understand the hate. It seems like a natural fit. 

It's good to hear that it makes sense for those from Hotlanta. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's weird.  The oversized ATL is about the only thing I don't hate about this uniform.  So is this kind of Nike's thing though?  Hey, we're fug your set up for about 5 years.  Then we're going to come in and make it mint.  Cool?

Where to start:

Helmet:

• Matte black shell = AWESOME
  • Logo size = OK
  • How many outlines around the logo? = BAD
  • Chrome facemask = Terrible

Jersey:

• Oversize ATL = I don't hate it... may even give this an OK
  • Red side panel stripes, although consistent = TERRIBLE on football uniforms
  • Side shadow = Really bad
  • Font is OK, i guess?
  • Gradients = Kinda dope... but not for the Falcons... and not for just ONE of the jerseys.

Pants:

• Nothing really here.  The stripe is bad.

Changes:

Helmet:

• Matte red shell with a black logo, white and gray trim.
  • Gray facemask

Jersey:

• White and Black primary
  • Red alternate
  • Stripes = Clean, 1968 style
  • Font = Whatever

Pants:

• Gray with 1968 stripe
  • White and black alternate pants

Combos:

• R/W/G
  • R/B/G
  • R/W/W
  • R/W/B
  • R/B/B
  • R/B/W
  • R/R/G

11 minutes ago, kutztown said:

Cracking up because the Falcons have a "BEHIND THE DESIGN" video on their website and that's almost verbatim what they said 🤣

Now THAT'S hilarious. I had to actually go check that out for myself. Wow oh wow...

The "Rise Up" alternate uniform pays homage to our next generation of Falcons fans. The gradient pattern rising from black to red offers a fresh representation of a city constantly on the rise through a visual pattern made from the eye in the Falcon logo.

Also, embedded within that article was another little "gem". We now have a name for the Falcons' style of side stripes: "stoops"...

Several signature elements across the new uniforms are highlighted in red including the familiar Falcons bird logo, the new ATL mark across the chest and the new stripe or "stoop", down the side of the uniform. Red is also featured as a primary jersey color in the new gradient "Rise Up" alternate uniform.

Article available here.

8 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

I sure know what it means and it proves my point, this title might be the worst part.

For the record, I don't disagree.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The white on white is my favorite.

Still has a strong Texas Tech vibe. 

Hopefully people will stop saying "Hmmm I'm not sure these are real"

Nailed it, I was trying to think of who they reminded me of now.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Just now, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Same color pants and socks is a scourge on this earth.

spacer.png

HELMET:  Whatever.  Did virtually nothing.  Kept it black, which is the right thing, but the facemask is stupid as hell.

ATL:  Needs to not be there, or be shrunken significantly. 

FONT:  Forgettable.  The block font on the throwback is hilariously superior.

RED PANTS:   Pointless.

GRADIENT:  Stupid/amateur.

OVERALL:  3.5/10

I'll see you all in 2025 for the Rams/Falcons returns to normalcy threads.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

While I'm not a big fan of these, I honestly thought they would be worse. I was expecting an overly-designed mess akin to what Oregon use to (and still kinda) wears.

I guess this means Atlanta is a black-heavy team now?

4 minutes ago, mattb6 said:

I'll be honest, when those photos leaked, I thought I would hate them.

But I think these are a good update for the Falcons, barring a few changes that should have been made.

Obviously the "ATL" on the front is too big, that should have been shrunk. I also think that if the side panel had just been limited to the pants and not the side of the jerseys, these would look absolutely great. As of right now, I give this a solid 7/10, with the old uniforms probably being a 6/10 to me. 

No offense to anyone, but these boards tend to get a hive mind with stuff like this. Once a few people pile on, everyone else follows in line. Well, I like these. As long as they don't go monochrome too often this will be a success. 

Everyone says this when they unveil new uniforms with a bad reception but they always go for monochrome. Worse yet they will probably never wear contrasting socks. I am not piling on these just do not look like a uniform that will last.

1 minute ago, Dynasty said:

I guess this means Atlanta is a black-heavy team now?

The NFL fans of Georgia recoil in horror at this sentence.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived