Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think it's more that the shrinking uniform templates along with the need to have the swoosh on the sleeve have made it very difficult to have more than one of: team logo, TV number, shoulder trim.

You could argue that Nike caused this by making the templates, but it's also the way the players had been modiying the older templates too, so it's hard to put that all on Nike.

Not putting TV numbers on the uniform is a design choice.. every other team in the league has made it work (even the Patriots who previously had numbers, shoulder inserts, and team logo).. the issue is that too many people foolishly fall for either the "but HDTV" argument, the "can't see them from any distance" argument, or the "modern jersey cuts" argument.. none are valid, as it is often necessary for a variety of people and functions to have access to the TV numbers.. helmet numbers do suffice, but I'd personally prefer sleeve numbers instead of helmet numbers for the chargers.. if teams just understood the importance of TV numbers and demanded them, Nike could easily accommodate.. 

Other than unnecessary alternates, this set is perfect and I'm surprised to see anyone dislike it. I realize everyone has their own opinion, but I'm genuinely surprised to see any pushback.

The italic numbers are great. The entire identity is and should be built around the concept of motion. The numbers help establish that in an effective way.

The simplicity of the bolts across the uniform is a huge improvement from the previous set.

The colors are great. Bright and bold, befitting of Southern California.

Top 5 uniforms in the NFL.

11 hours ago, RedSox44 said:

How could you forget the greatest unis in NFL history!

spacer.png

Yes, that is rookie Adam Vinatieri with then-Pats punter/future Jets quarterback Tom Tupa.

I was just thinking that the Chargers typography is like the meeting of the 90s Patriots and the 00s Calgary Flames.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

Other than unnecessary alternates, this set is perfect and I'm surprised to see anyone dislike it.

Other than the fly, how's your soup?

Except for all that wind, tornados are great!

If not for all that pandemic, 2020 has been a decent year.

Point being, yes, if you ignore the bad things are good.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

But if the alternates continue to disappoint and they are essentially worn for a small percentage of games during a season, then why even include them in the evaluation? It is like dropping the lowest quiz grade for a student. If they are good, it is a bonus. 

30 minutes ago, JayMac said:

But if the alternates continue to disappoint and they are essentially worn for a small percentage of games during a season, then why even include them in the evaluation? It is like dropping the lowest quiz grade for a student. If they are good, it is a bonus. 

But if you continue to wear alternates, especially bad ones, they take away opportunities to wear your better uniforms. Why wear an inferior choice when there are better choices? Therefore, the alts should be included in the evaluation and graded accordingly.

27 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

But if you continue to wear alternates, especially bad ones, they take away opportunities to wear your better uniforms. Why wear an inferior choice when there are better choices? Therefore, the alts should be included in the evaluation and graded accordingly.

I agree but frankly I kinda like these alternates. 

I could go without the royal blue one just because its a little redundant but I think the navy is terrific. 

The bolts on the jerseys look off to me and maybe because most of what we have seen is a photoshop and not an actual jersey.  They remind me of a super cheap replica you could buy at Walmart that used the standalone logo bolt rather than the correct jersey bolt.  It's really my only gripe with the set, I don't love the italics but they are harmless.  They are mostly a nice modernization of the San Diego AFL uniforms which is disappointing as a former season ticket holder.  This is pretty close to what I wanted for over 20 years but we couldn't have them and now LA gets them and won't appreciate it as much. The navy one is nice because the helmet is a nod to the original LA helmet making it the only thing that doesn't scream San Diego to me.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Hey, I just happen to kind of like the alternates and I don’t think they’re as big an ABOMINATION as y’all are making it out to be. They’re fun twists on the franchise’s history. If it means they wear the regular home/road set less, then that would be a slight problem. Still, they’re good for what they are.  

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

They're still there. And for most other franchises, having essentially the same set, but 1. in mono and 2. in difference shades of mono would be disqualifying. 

Would it be okay for the Bengals to have two sets of mono alts, but in different shades of orange? The Packers with two shades of green? The Panthers with two shades of teal? Of course not. I don't understand why the Chargers are getting a pass.

And I'm also not convinced we don't see mixing and matching of those blue alts with the regular set. It's Nike and the NFL and they love to be dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They're still there. And for most other franchises, having essentially the same set, but 1. in mono

That didn't trouble you for the Falcons.

and 2. in difference shades of mono would be disqualifying. 

Would it be okay for the Bengals to have two sets of mono alts, but in different shades of orange? The Packers with two shades of green? The Panthers with two shades of teal? Of course not. I don't understand why the Chargers are getting a pass.

It’s because of their history with both royal and navy blue. It's a bit of a way to tribute their mostly forgettable past.

And I'm also not convinced we don't see mixing and matching of those blue alts with the regular set. It's Nike and the NFL and they love to be dumb.

Fair.

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Not putting TV numbers on the uniform is a design choice.. every other team in the league has made it work

Gonna have to go ahead and disagree there. Not every team that has shoulder stripes, logo, and TV numbers has made it work.  Carolina Panthers are a great example, since their TV numbers are the size of quarters.  Some have made it work, like the Patriots and Eagles, but even then, the swoosh is practically overlapping the logo in some cases, and if the sleeves shrink any more, it won't be doable.

I'm not a spotter or in the press box so I can't comment on how necessary TV numbers are.  I know that as a fan in the stands, I can't really read them anyway, so they're not relevant to me, and on TV, while they're nice, I don't think they're totally necessary.

It's two teams, so let's see how it goes, and maybe other teams will follow... maybe they won't.  I'm glad someone's at least trying it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

It's like you'd see on any type of creating competition (cooking, furniture, tattoo, etc.); the more you show the "judge", the more there is to judge.

So to say people can't let some bad parts affect their opinions because they're just extra stuff or may not be around for long, is unfair. Some may be able to look past it or even like it, and some may not. It's up to the person writing the opinion to decide how they see it.

48 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

If the blues matched, they'd probably mix and match. 

But I highly doubt they're going to pair royal with powder or navy with powder. Nike doesn't control the NFL's gameday uniforms like it does the NBA. The Chargers would be extremely ridiculed on social media by people laughing how they look like they got dressed in the dark.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

48 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They're still there. And for most other franchises, having essentially the same set, but 1. in mono and 2. in difference shades of mono would be disqualifying. 

I really liked the original Jets Kelly green color rush 🤷‍♂️. If a team has a history with the color that they don’t use anymore I don’t really mind showcasing it for a once a season alternate.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

52 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You and I both agree on this. Color rush, and possibly alternate helmets down the road, create a slippery slope. We all know that Nike shows very little constraint and the NFL and its teams bow to them.

48 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Gonna have to go ahead and disagree there. Not every team that has shoulder stripes, logo, and TV numbers has made it work.  Carolina Panthers are a great example, since their TV numbers are the size of quarters.  Some have made it work, like the Patriots and Eagles, but even then, the swoosh is practically overlapping the logo in some cases, and if the sleeves shrink any more, it won't be doable.

I'm not a spotter or in the press box so I can't comment on how necessary TV numbers are.  I know that as a fan in the stands, I can't really read them anyway, so they're not relevant to me, and on TV, while they're nice, I don't think they're totally necessary.

It's two teams, so let's see how it goes, and maybe other teams will follow... maybe they won't.  I'm glad someone's at least trying it.

And while I'm on the opposite end of reading from the pressbox/stands, and really want all teams to have TV numvers, there's nothing incorrect about what you're saying here. I think you have the trend correct.

It's where I sit.

Archived