Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That's what I think too, but I think if I'm going to put out a concern that the Chargers are going to mix and match it's only fair I have the same for the Falcons (who I think have a more cohesive look overall -- fight me).

I actually might not even mind seeing the white or yellow pants, even with the powder outlines mixed and matched with the alts. The outline might be not noticeable enough that it still might be preferable to mono. Will have to check that out on Madden.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ive generally disliked italicized numbers in football, but maybe I'm coming around. I think they work pretty well for the Lions and now for the Chargers. That was always one of my issues with the Steelers italic font.  Big Ben's 7 looks weird to me. But these are pretty nice.

I'm not usually a fan of italic jersey numbers either, but I think the reason they work for the Chargers is because they've had an italic wordmark in some form since the very beginning. Italics is part of their brand, and always has been.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The italics work because they look good.  Sometimes it doesn't need an explaination. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I will defend the use of italic numbers and names on the Chargers uniforms until the day I die! 😎

It's a simple design element that goes such a long way and perfects the uniform. They portray motion in an identity that is built around the concept. They're perhaps one of the only teams in all of sports who should have italic numbers. I can't believe they didn't have them before.

51 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

I'm surprised it has no number at all.  00, 60, 20 whatever.

They never had a number on the previous version. Why would they have one now?

It's where I sit.

12 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Anyone catch the helmet on Anthony Lynn’s desk during the draft? I can’t find a picture but it wasn’t any i’ve seen. Navy outlining a yellow bolt, no number, navy face mask. 

My guess is this is the royal blue uniform decals with the navy color rush facemask. 

3 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

My guess is this is the royal blue uniform decals with the navy color rush facemask. 

...Pretty sure that's the helmet setup for the Navy Color Rush uniform. Its the only one that has a Navy facemask.

21 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

not including the darker colors would upset the older fanbase

Quite the contrary. The older fanbase (back when it still existed) was polarized at best on royal blue and hated navy. Powder blue was always our preference.

Navy in particular was rubber-stamped by the Spanos family with no consideration to the fanbase's opinion. I even remember reading once that they had to be talked out of removing the bolts from the uniforms at one point, so that should give you an idea of how bad their taste is.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

16 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

I'm surprised there is opposition to the italic numbers. I think they suit the set perfectly, giving a bit of dynamic flair while keeping the numbers really clean. I think the italics add value to the set.

They look fine on the front, but they never look good stacked underneath a name. You simply can’t center them under something else.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

They look fine on the front, but they never look good stacked underneath a name. You simply can’t center them under something else.

I wonder whether the name also being italics will help this read better on the back. It's so hard to tell without seeing players actually wearing them

Archived