Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

I actually prefer the matte finish of the newer fabric to the old dazzle fabric 9 times out of 10. Still, teams like the Buccaneers with actual metallic colors really did benefit from that fabric being so popular at the time. If the Bucs asked for that finish specifically, I'm positive that Nike could develop a Vapor Untouchable variation of it. That said, most teams probably just don't notice and don't know to ask. 

spacer.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dont care said:

to be fair it’s not what they are made of but how they are woven. The dazzle material I’ve seen is knitted much thicker and heavier compared to the materials used today. Also the stretch is much better from the current materials. I assume dazzle is the way it is to display the shininess of it but I really don’t know

And also to be fair, I specifically mentioned composition, not construction.. the construction argument is a valid one, but not the one that was being made.. but the point still stands that creating two things out of the same basic materials that are both designed for performance typically won't yield drastically different products.. I don't doubt that Nike's premier flagship product is slightly lighter and may possibly have slightly better moisture-wicking capabilities than the premier flagship product of other major suppliers, but it's worth noting that those aren't the only (or even best) products produced by those other suppliers.. Adidas's PrimeKnit line of uniforms is not as good as their custom line IMHO, but they push their PrimeKnit line because it's different, "proprietary", and more marketable (not to mention more profitable).. but Adidas also offers other stretch knit materials that more closely resemble stretch woven, and they have introduced a stretch woven material of their own as well.. 

But at the end of the day, the weight difference is negligible and the moisture-wicking properties come from a chemical additive (not the material itself), so these drastic performance benefits are really just exaggerated marketing based on a nugget of slight fact.. nothing overly substantial though

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

And also to be fair, I specifically mentioned composition, not construction.. the construction argument is a valid one, but not the one that was being made.. but the point still stands that creating two things out of the same basic materials that are both designed for performance typically won't yield drastically different products.. I don't doubt that Nike's premier flagship product is slightly lighter and may possibly have slightly better moisture-wicking capabilities than the premier flagship product of other major suppliers, but it's worth noting that those aren't the only (or even best) products produced by those other suppliers.. Adidas's PrimeKnit line of uniforms is not as good as their custom line IMHO, but they push their PrimeKnit line because it's different, "proprietary", and more marketable (not to mention more profitable).. but Adidas also offers other stretch knit materials that more closely resemble stretch woven, and they have introduced a stretch woven material of their own as well.. 

But at the end of the day, the weight difference is negligible and the moisture-wicking properties come from a chemical additive (not the material itself), so these drastic performance benefits are really just exaggerated marketing based on a nugget of slight fact.. nothing overly substantial though

I don’t believe dazzle material couldn’t be woven the same way as the current materials are so it ends up being thinner (probably not as much stretch, but still won’t know until it’s made) but that means company’s need to make the textiles for it for Nike/adidas/UA ect to source from and use. It would require either Nike investing in the company’s to produce the textile, or the suppliers of the textiles to invest their own money to produce it and hope Nike uses it. Both require a lot of money hoping people end up liking it to a degree that it’s worth the change. I believe Nike could easily spin the dazzle fabric to the public that it becomes popular again possibly as a blast from the past type of strategy or something. The other company’s I’m not confident in being able to. 

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

I'd agree with you for the Bucs pewter. By nature pewter isn't shiny. I'd rather they try and mimmic the finish of actual pewter on the helmet. 

Pewter isn't shiny. It's not matte brown either. The dazzle pants the Bucs used to use came closer to capturing the essence of pewter then their matte replacements did. 

Bruce Arians says new Bucs uniforms will be closer to the Super Bowl look

Tampa Bay’s head coach may have spilled too much detail about the new look, but he was never consulted.

TAMPA — Let’s talk about the most pressing question for the Bucs. Let’s go to the source, Bruce Arians.

No, not about whether Jameis Winston is coming back.

What do the new uniforms look like?

"You know what? And they didn’t even ask me about the new uniforms," Arians said during an interview with Pro Football Talk at the NFL scouting combine. "And I was (ticked). They did it on their own."

Arians did admit that he had seen a drawing of the uniforms, which will be unveiled in April.

"I’m anxious to see it too," Arians said. "I think it’s more closer to the Super Bowl uniforms."

A lot of Bucs fans were hoping for a return to the original orange and white uniforms from 1976. But apparently the colors and font will be closer to the ones they wore in Super Bowl 37, with perhaps a darker red.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach Bruce Arians Thinks New Uniforms Resemble Super Bowl XXXVII Set

February 26, 2020 - 18:59 PM

After six seasons in their current set, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are set to unveil new uniforms in April. And while some fans are hoping for a return to the team’s original colors of orange and red, it appears the […]

Read More...

29 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I'd wait and see. If I've learned anything about sports uniforms it's that the only people to trust on info are the weirdos that frequent this sub. Everyone else just kind of says things. 

This is true. In my experience, to everyone who doesn't frequent this board, as long as there isn't a color change or a new logo, everything is a minor change.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:06 PM, Volt said:

Correct, because stretch dazzle as a performance material is outdated.  It also reaks of the 90's.  We need to get over this fact.  Football jerseys were at one time cotton.  Then nylons came in.  Then mesh, your beloved razzle dazzle, and so on.  Today, it's proprietary wovens that are lighter, cooler, more durable, dry faster, and stretch.  That material performs best...and it just happens to be a matte material.

sOrRy itz nOt ShINnY

Hey man no skin off my nose I am a Bear fan LOL we don't need shinny to wear navy.  But, its the only way to go with Pewter so it doesn't look brown so might as well eliminate it.  Also the Cowboys & Raiders might have something to say about this since they both still wear shinny pants. 

7 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

The only problem I had with the old pewter pants was at times it looked brownish. The new pewter doesn’t have that problem.

The pants on the old set always looked like they pooped themselves. The pewters on the helmets look a lot different as well.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

3 hours ago, LAWeaver said:

The last thing we need in the league is another white helmet, so I'm glad to hear it resembles the Super Bowl era uniforms. 

There are five white helmets in the league now. Is six too many?

EDIT. Actually I think there are six now. Maybe seven would be a lot. I don’t. Know. 

23 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

Only 5 is right. 

Arizona

Indianapolis 

Buffalo 

Miami

LA Chargers 

Interesting - in the 80s/90s was it also 5? (Between the Bills and Jets changes I guess, so a little over a decade?) Adding the Bucs and Oilers/Titans.

Archived