NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

22 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

And, honestly, I don't even want to hear about the teal flake helmets. That's how I know you REALLY didn't watch any Jaguars football. Even with our brand new hd TV, my dad and I tried and struggled so hard to see if we could make out a crumb of teal in that paint. You just weren't passively noticing it. Every couple of weeks you would see a little glint during a super closeup, and we would joke "omg! its The Thing! look! The Thing!!" and no more frequently than that. That picture with Tyson Alualu in it is the only one out of the several in this thread where it actually makes out. Great idea with lame execution, tbh. 

That's how I've always felt about that mythical teal-flake helmet. It's like people fell so i love with the idea of it that everybody failed to notice that you really couldn't see it. Every once in a great while a perfectly timed photo would turn up where you could almost kinda see a bit of teal sparkles. Hardly worth getting worked up about IMO.

The Jags' teal-flaked helmet goes on the list with the Cowboys 90's double-star jerseys, and those Patriot jerseys with the peek-a-boo vertical bands... uniforms that keep getting these wistful call backs, and I'm continually confused as to why.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

14 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That's how I've always felt about that mythical teal-flake helmet. It's like people fell so i love with the idea of it that everybody failed to notice that you really couldn't see it. Every once in a great while a perfectly timed photo would turn up where you could almost kinda see a bit of teal sparkles. Hardly worth getting worked up about IMO.

The Jags' teal-flaked helmet goes on the list with the Cowboys 90's double-star jerseys, and those Patriot jerseys with the peek-a-boo vertical bands... uniforms that keep getting these wistful call backs, and I'm continually confused as to why.

Hated it, still hate it, have never understood the praise for it. Had the unintended effect of catching the sun and appearing dark blue or dark green in certain lighting. In this photo Blaine Gabbert's helmet does not match the rest of his uniform. That's dumb. 

All-22 Film Review: Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert - Big Cat Country

I also blame the teal flake helmet for being the gateway drug to this abomination

1394572333000-USATSI-7630180_3836356_ver

• Like 9

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 minutes ago, Sport said:

I also blame the teal flake helmet for being the gateway drug to this abomination

1394572333000-USATSI-7630180_3836356_ver

To this day, I can’t look at a photo of those helmets and rationalize how in the hell they got signed off on by so many people. No one had the guts to stand up and say, “you know what guys, this looks like utter s***”?

• Like 22

On 2/21/2021 at 1:57 PM, dont care said:

What is “gunmetal blue?” They wore sea foam blue which looked nothing like any kind of gunmetal I’ve ever seen.

When they rolled those unis out, the new lighter (as opposed to Navy) metallic blue was referred to as gunmetal blue. Name wouldn't pass muster today.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The teal flake wasn't the problem, the problem was pairing it with those drab new uniforms. It would have worked just fine with the old set.

No one is saying it was the problem, but it didnt look good either. I watched every Jaguars game from 2009-2012. I read the press releases when those uniforms dropped when I was in 7th grade and got so excited for those lids, because they did The Thing. But they were just terrible on tv. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I really perceived it in game action over the ensuing years. And when you did notice it? It just looked like a burnt Eagles helmet, if not just kinda grey and muddled. The gold logo pops so much more off of a stark black surface anyways.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

10 hours ago, crosfam said:

When they rolled those unis out, the new lighter (as opposed to Navy) metallic blue was referred to as gunmetal blue. Name wouldn't pass muster today.  

Yeah, Phil Hecken described the white unis this way: 

The numbers (front, back, shoulders) are block gunmetal blue with navy outline. The front wordmark is new and in gunmetal, as is the NOB. The sleeve portion (or what’s left of it) is in gunmetal with the very small team logo that’s practically the same size as the Reebok mark. Meanwhile, the dark jersey changes from a straight blue to the gunmetal tint. 

https://uni-watch.com/2014/02/01/seahawks-uniform-history-1976-to-present/

Though I thought at some point is was referred to as "Pacific Blue" but I might just be misremembering. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, andrewharrington said:

I’m surprised this wasn’t mentioned before, but process blue is most commonly referred to as “cyan.”

Two different colors.

Process Blue is a Pantone base ink color, while Process Cyan is a primary color in CMYK printing:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah, Phil Hecken described the white unis this way: 

https://uni-watch.com/2014/02/01/seahawks-uniform-history-1976-to-present/

Though I thought at some point is was referred to as "Pacific Blue" but I might just be misremembering. 

They officially called it "Seahawks Blue", but the textile match was called (by Reebok) "NFL Pacific Blue".

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TruColor said:

They officially called it "Seahawks Blue", but the textile match was called (by Reebok) "NFL Pacific Blue".

Fun fact: the Charlotte Bobcats used "NFL Pacific Blue" as the textile match for their original uniforms.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TruColor said:

Fun fact: the Charlotte Bobcats used "NFL Pacific Blue" as the textile match for their original uniforms.

I do prefer that color to the navy they used during the Jordan years. The initial "warm red" was ugly as all get-out, however.

the user formerly known as cdclt

14 hours ago, Sport said:

Hated it, still hate it, have never understood the praise for it. Had the unintended effect of catching the sun and appearing dark blue or dark green in certain lighting. In this photo Blaine Gabbert's helmet does not match the rest of his uniform. That's dumb. 

All-22 Film Review: Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert - Big Cat Country

Well, the black unis didn't come until Nike/Khan decided to add it. The helmet worked with the initial set IMO. 

Go A's!

2 hours ago, Froob said:

Please....I’d almost prefer this to the throwback,  I’ve always wanted a modern red jersey

Looks like a jersey Shane Falco would wear, which is funny, since Keanu Reaves probably has as good a chance as any to be the Pats starting quarterback next year. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I never minded the teal-flake helmet, but this photo comparison convinced me. The logo really does look so much better on the solid black background.

In fairness that's not an apples-to-apples comparison as the logos are different.

IMO with all the changes in their history, the Jags have made ONE improvement.  Every single other change has been worse than its predecessor.  (and the single correct decision was going away from the bipolar helmet)

• Like 2

The Jets' new green helmets have a very similar vibe to the teal flaked helmets, the finish has a tendency to produce very green highlights and very dark/black shadows.  I initially enjoyed the candy finish, but the dark shadows that appear get too dark. It's annoying that they took such a simple idea as bringing back their rightful lighter kelly green and just demolishing the set with unnecessary black all over, reinforced by the dark patches of black that appear on the helmets.

• Like 4