Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

24 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m also somewhat disappointed the stripe design is still pretty similar to the previous pants, in that they still appear as they are contained within a block. Trying some “free” stripes similar to the jerseys would have been more ambitious and probably helped the design flow better.

Columbus Wild Dogs joining Indoor Football League in 2022 | 10tv.com

This is probably why that didn't happen. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick Take:

Overall, this set is a much need refresh for the Bengals, but there are some things to like & dislike.

I appreciate that they kept things simple, didn’t go overboard. The design, as a whole, now fits in line with their logos & visual identity.

Even though it was stated long ago, the helmet design didn’t see a change.

Dislikes:

Number font should have been stronger. I would’ve preferred that they use a custom block font curated in a fashion that matches their current wordmarks. I’d also thicken the outlines around them, so that they’d be visible from distance.

The pants design could be improved. As @alecgoff illustrated, orange stripes over a black panel would’ve done wonders for the white pair. That is also something I would’ve applied to the road jersey sleeves, thus decreasing the number of pants from 3 to 2.

I don’t like that the mono-socks have carried themselves over from the Color Rush program. It currently doesn’t work for the Falcons, and certainly doesn’t work here.

Minor Word:

Demote the Bengals “B” logo to a secondary logo; have the Bengal head or the leaping bengal as the primary logo.

I'm a little surprised that I feel this way, but I really have quickly gotten to like having the option of no TV numbers. The Chargers' new uniform and this one, I can't see any way that cramming in TV numbers would be anything other than a downgrade. I wouldn't want to see TV numbers go away completely for the entire NFL, but for teams with an especially unique shoulder/sleeve element, or with sleeve graphics and/or patches, removing the TV numbers is a great option.

4 hours ago, CS85 said:

EzVt3icUYAETJ-a?format=jpg&name=large

In a vacuum, I don't hate these pants as much as others do, though I have come to realize that I think I like outlines more than others on the boards, but yeah it doesn't match any other striping application. Also, it's hard for me to not see these pants as being a large orange vertical stripe/block with black outlined-white tiger stripes.

Overall, the set is a pretty good upgrade. I could use more orange on the white jersey, but still way better than the previous set.

IbjBaeE.png

7 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

In a vacuum, I don't hate these pants as much as others do, though I have come to realize that I think I like outlines more than others on the boards, but yeah it doesn't match any other striping application. Also, it's hard for me to not see these pants as being a large orange vertical stripe/block with black outlined-white tiger stripes.

Overall, the set is a pretty good upgrade. I could use more orange on the white jersey, but still way better than the previous set.

I can see it as white stripes on an orange background too, especially when paired with the white number on orange jersey. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm a little surprised that I feel this way, but I really have quickly gotten to like having the option of no TV numbers. The Chargers' new uniform and this one, I can't see any way that cramming in TV numbers would be anything other than a downgrade. I wouldn't want to see TV numbers go away completely for the entire NFL, but for teams with an especially unique shoulder/sleeve element, or with sleeve graphics and/or patches, removing the TV numbers is a great option.

I think the Rams blue jerseys would look better with TV numbers, despite having a unique shoulder element. 

TV numbers used to "finish" the look of NFL uniforms back when sleeves were longer, as many high schools and colleges never had them. But with sleeves getting shorter and shorter, TV number space has shrunk. In the end, it's a case-by-case basis. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Clearly they had a jersey designer and a pants designer. Apparently they were sequestered from one another and today was the 1st opportunity to put the entire uniform together.

The whole set is a bit on the safe side, but it's not terrible. The only major gripe I would have is the orange on white pants, but a ton of other people have already voiced solutions to that. I think the general consensus is that it is just generally safe, which I think is a consequence of how Nike's adventurous designs were received. I don't think these are bad by any stretch of the imagination though. I would have loved to have maybe seen an orange pair of pants, just out of curiosity, if nothing else.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

It seems to me that a lot of the recent Nike designs boil down to "How bad was the previous set?"

Just to cite two examples (and the different meanings I have in that statement):

The Rams last set (I'm ignoring the post-move from STL changes here) was pretty basic or at worst a modernized version of a classic Rams uniform. Nike, instead of making basic changes, comes up with gradients, "bone", the banana moon logo on the helmets (sorry I can't un-see that), tags on the shoulders, and brighter colors.

The Bengals last set was messy, though I personally never got beyond hating the side panels. Nike comes up with a more basic, stripped down uniform (with a few quirks, like the second pants).

It's almost like if a team's last set could be tweaked to be good to very good, it's time to let the designers go nuts. OTOH, if the previous set is a clown suit (or close to it), then they can come up with something basic and good, but usually a few changes away from being great.

Pretty good! All they have to do is fix the orange striped white pants for the 2022 season (assuming they're stuck with the unveiled pants this coming season).

SN: I wouldn't be against a mandate from team ownership only allowing the black pants to be worn with orange socks going forward.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Considering pants can be changed at any time, my hope is they eventually add black to the orange striped white pants and get rid of the black striped white pants.

Is this true? I thought it was the same time length as the jersey—5 years.

12 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Is this true? I thought it was the same time length as the jersey—5 years.

I don't think they care about pants as much since they don't sell them and not many (if any) retail partners would care.  Not sure off the top of my head if there's any recent examples of teams making changes to them, but in general they're less of a big deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived