Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the praise here. To me, these are very underwhelming. I would say a casual observer, who paid even a little bit of attention to teams and uniforms and aesethtics, wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between this and the previous set, unless you showed them the differences side by side.

Just now, duxrcool048 said:

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the praise here. To me, these are very underwhelming. I would say a casual observer, who paid even a little bit of attention to teams and uniforms and aesethtics, wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between this and the previous set, unless you showed them the differences side by side.

That's good, because it means Nike didn't radically change a uniform again to make it "street-cool" with "bone" and gradients or something to that effect.

If I could rank them they are probably second or third best uniforms Nike has done. I just wish I could say these are perfect but there’s about 3 changes I would make. Cleveland & Tampa Bay are the other contenders but a couple of decisions always hold me back from saying who’s the best because none has gone all

the way.

This has been one of the quietest and shortest post-uniform revealed threads that I have ever seen. 

Maybe the polarization of last seasons Rams and Falcons threads got me used to going through 50 pages at a time. But this is  good as well. 

At first, I didn't mind the number font, I even extended it to see how good it was.  Then the rest of the font got released including an alphabet...  A National Football League team released this, not an amateur on DaFont:

9kTkLc3.png

(as retrieved from the Bengals' "New Stripes" page, presentation put together by me; if you know, you know)

You got paint splatter claw mark alternates, weird curve stretching on the B, P, and R, inconsistent letter widths, and weird letters with both flat and sliced ends like the C, S, and 3.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

I'm mixed on these. Is it an improvement? Yes. Could they have been even better? Yes. The things that disappoint are the achromatic uniforms. Just awful. Same with the color rash uniforms (which really isn't a color - it's achromatic). No orange pants is a huge disappointment as well. Why do need "Bengals" on the jerseys, above the numbers? Is this for the casual fan who doesn't know what team he/she is watching? Really stupid that teams keep doing this. It's the NFL. We don't need the team names anywhere, especially with the teams and the score being perpetually in the chyron.

The good include the striping, the lack of piping and the drop shadows. The word "clean" is way overused and stupid, so I'm going to say that the jerseys are less cluttered. They're simpler and therefore better. The uniforms over all are less cluttered and simplified and that includes the pants and no more goofy striping ala the awful Broncos uniforms.

9 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

You’re wrong but ok

I don't expect the common folk to pay attention to every little detail, but "they look the same" requires non-functioning eyes. 

Look at that picture and how Nike handled the old uniforms on fan replicas. That's barely a resemblance to what the players on the field wear. A big reason why I'm excited about these is the fan cut jerseys are a bigger improvement even than the on-field jerseys. 

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm a little surprised that I feel this way, but I really have quickly gotten to like having the option of no TV numbers. The Chargers' new uniform and this one, I can't see any way that cramming in TV numbers would be anything other than a downgrade. I wouldn't want to see TV numbers go away completely for the entire NFL, but for teams with an especially unique shoulder/sleeve element, or with sleeve graphics and/or patches, removing the TV numbers is a great option.

I know how you feel and I don't think I would've felt this way 5 years ago, but I really like the cleanliness of the open shoulders on the Bengals and Chargers. The original Tiger striped uniforms of the 80's had those nice open shoulders and I think that's one reason why it's such a sharp look. Not having a TV number makes for a really clean look. I even like it on the Patriots even though the logo on the sleeves probably should be a number instead. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

45 minutes ago, Sport said:

I don't expect the common folk to pay attention to every little detail, but "they look the same" requires non-functioning eyes. 

Look at that picture and how Nike handled the old uniforms on fan replicas. That's barely a resemblance to what the players on the field wear. A big reason why I'm excited about these is the fan cut jerseys are a bigger improvement even than the on-field jerseys. 

I know how you feel and I don't think I would've felt this way 5 years ago, but I really like the cleanliness of the open shoulders on the Bengals and Chargers. The original Tiger striped uniforms of the 80's had those nice open shoulders and I think that's one reason why it's such a sharp look. Not having a TV number makes for a really clean look. I even like it on the Patriots even though the logo on the sleeves probably should be a number instead. 

I’m guessing because they are still black, orange and white and they still have tiger stripes.   That’s pretty much all people see.  

7 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

At first, I didn't mind the number font, I even extended it to see how good it was.  Then the rest of the font got released including an alphabet...  A National Football League team released this, not an amateur on DaFont:

9kTkLc3.png

(as retrieved from the Bengals' "New Stripes" page, presentation put together by me; if you know, you know)

You got paint splatter claw mark alternates, weird curve stretching on the B, P, and R, inconsistent letter widths, and weird letters with both flat and sliced ends like the C, S, and 3.

the scarred up letters will work good for social media and such, but they should never be placed on a uniform. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

No orange pants was one of their best decisions, assuming they don't release it early in the season like the Browns did last year.

There is an in-state divisional rival with iconic orange pants. Monochrome is not my favorite look anyway and all-orange is owned by Clemson in my mind anyway. And there are plenty of combos as-is, just no need.

1 hour ago, Sport said:
 I really like the cleanliness of the open shoulders on the Bengals and Chargers. The original Tiger striped uniforms of the 80's had those nice open shoulders and I think that's one reason why it's such a sharp look. Not having a TV number makes for a really clean look. I even like it on the Patriots even though the logo on the sleeves probably should be a number instead. 

The Panthers are another team that need to lose the TV numbers. Those minuscule little digits are just stupid and the whole jersey is way too cluttered. Although, like the Patriots, they could just drop the repetitive sleeve logo and put numbers there.

Archived