2012-13 soccer kits

Saintsfan

What Adidas needs to do is apply the design philosophy of Germany, Liverpool and Chelsea to all of their other teams. Spamming the three stripes works when the rest of the kit is simple. I'm looking at you, MLS.

Thats why this is one of my favorite DC United kits of all time:

4129175429_19ab2831b5_o.jpg

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like what Warrior came up with for Liverpool. The only thing I'd like to see is the full crest on the shirt. I like that they went with a very conservative design in their first year, but I'm not that surprised by it. I'd expect a more unique design to come out in a couple years from Warrior so that they can kind of put their mark it. I hope Spurs see the same thing in their first year with Under Armour. They always look best with less on their kits.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Liver-bird actually has WAY more tradition on the front of Liverpool kits than the current detailed crest does. The great teams of the 70s & 80s only ever wore the Liver-bird & LFC monogram on their chests. In the late 80's a simple bird in shield began to be used, which then became basically the current crest in 1992 for the centenary year. Returning to it is somewhat of a surprise though, as the flames either side of the current crest act as a permanent memorial to those who perished at Hillsborough & a reminder of the ongoing fight for justice; it's still being honoured though (as it had to be), which allows a return to the classic Liver-bird.

Overall, I was kinda scared of what Warrior were gonna do, but that is a pretty damn nice kit, cash will probably be dropped on it.

(Detailed source on the history of the various crests)

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The problem with Adidas kits is that the only thing that looks good with the shoulder stripes is other straight line stripes such as:

158065hp2.jpg

DC_UNITED_at_RFK.jpg

Bayern-Munich-11-12-third-shirt.png

181824d1309873283-hermanchides-kit-request-thread-marseille_1.png

Lyon-Home-Kit-11-12.jpg

But in order to provide some variety and keep up with the brilliance of Nike's best football kits they have to get a bit more creative, and their kit quality goes downhill as design elements clash:

10475.jpg

ChelseaKit_468x330.jpg

Adidas-New-England-Revolution-Jersey-2012.jpg

david-jarolim-trikot.jpg

422Benfica_Away_Shirt.jpg

What Adidas needs to do is apply the design philosophy of Germany, Liverpool and Chelsea to all of their other teams. Spamming the three stripes works when the rest of the kit is simple. I'm looking at you, MLS.

Yes. Since the total 90 templates, nikes been really simple template wise and eliminated most stupid piping/uneven striping. Umbro has also been really simple with most of their kits and that's why they tend to have the best kits IMO.

The new German kits are absolute beauty's. Why reebok has uniforms that belong in the 90s in 2012 is beyond me, but they do and are probably the worst manufacturer. Less is more.

The Liver-bird actually has WAY more tradition on the front of Liverpool kits than the current detailed crest does. The great teams of the 70s & 80s only ever wore the Liver-bird & LFC monogram on their chests.

Exactly.

Now maybe the Gunners can go back to the simple cannon on their shirts, even just for one year.

I hate to give them credit for anything, but good on Spurs for pioneering what is now officially a trend - using simple alternate logos on the shirts, instead of full crests.

The Liver-bird actually has WAY more tradition on the front of Liverpool kits than the current detailed crest does. The great teams of the 70s & 80s only ever wore the Liver-bird & LFC monogram on their chests.

Exactly.

Now maybe the Gunners can go back to the simple cannon on their shirts, even just for one year.

I hate to give them credit for anything, but good on Spurs for pioneering what is now officially a trend - using simple alternate logos on the shirts, instead of full crests.

I thought they did a great job with the monotone logo on last years. I wish they would go to something a little more simple, in this regard. But I'd dig just the cannon too. Really Arsenal hasn't done me wrong design wise in a few years... Pumped to see next years on the pitch... GUNNERS!

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

The Revs' new design is one of the more forgivable designs by Adidas lately.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wow... classy looking kit. Just goes to show how far Adidas has fallen... they really need to reconsider the 3-stripe shoulder approach.

They need to, but they won't. It will never happen. They defnitely need to quit with the nonsensical design elements, though. They had some home runs this year (Germany, Chelsea) and it's because the three stripes were the only major design element.

I know they won't either... but if they decide to keep the 3 shoulder approach, they really should go back to old Adidas logo. It allows a kit to almost exude nostalgia with that vintage tri-symbol, so basically whatever club they do, it states "We've been around from the beginning. We know what we're doing."

Disagree with you about Chelsea by the way, not a fan of the white shoulder pads. I thought Liverpool's were better from this past season.

I was speaking specifically about the new blue and gold one. Never actually liked a Chelsea jersey that much until then. Should have specified.

Totally with you on using the trefoil full time. It's a much better logo than the mountain. I've always thought that adidas should merge back into one company and use as a logo the one element common to both: the wordmark. Either way, the one thing adidas has on all the other companies in the industry is heritage, and I'm with you in thinking they should play that up and be the anti-Nike in a way. Clean, classic designs, basically what Umbro is doing. I mean, there was a time when if you wanted sport specific shoes, adidas were the only ones available, and to throw that away to sell a few more this or that makes me sad, even though I know it's just how business works.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Absolutely. You'd think being a German company would mean good design is just the standard by default. At one time, I think it was, when Adi Dassler was still running the show, developing products and keeping tabs on the goings-on.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The problem with Adidas kits is that the only thing that looks good with the shoulder stripes is other straight line stripes such as:

158065hp2.jpg

DC_UNITED_at_RFK.jpg

Bayern-Munich-11-12-third-shirt.png

181824d1309873283-hermanchides-kit-request-thread-marseille_1.png

Lyon-Home-Kit-11-12.jpg

But in order to provide some variety and keep up with the brilliance of Nike's best football kits they have to get a bit more creative, and their kit quality goes downhill as design elements clash:

10475.jpg

ChelseaKit_468x330.jpg

Adidas-New-England-Revolution-Jersey-2012.jpg

david-jarolim-trikot.jpg

422Benfica_Away_Shirt.jpg

I agree on the assertion that adidas stripes look best when paired with other linear elements, but nearly all of Nike's designs are linear as well. I don't think the amoeba panels are needed for adidas to 'get creative' as you say, but you are correct in that they look like crud, especially when paired with the classic stree stripes.

Adidas needs to return to the trefoil already. Something about is still great after all these years. Its instantly recognizable, as much as the swoosh. Follow the feel of that design and theoretically the rest will follow. Too much emphasis on cramming the stripes onto every article of clothing.

They won't, but I'd like to see Adidas return to just the trefoil as well. What the 3 stripes allow adidas to do is to keep kits relatively simple, whilst avoiding forgeries. They don't always stick to that principle, but one of the reasons teams end up with over designed mash ups is because teams/ manufacturers insist on a new kit every year.

I am liking the new Liverpool kit, simple, unfussy, respectful of the clubs tradition.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

EDIT: Quick Google revealed that they wore a shirt with a yellow Carlsberg logo in european competitions for two years. I think it looks terrible.

020319-028-Liverpool-Roma.jpg

I think this one looks terrible because both white and gold are incorporated. As long as you stick with one secondary colour the shirts looks nice. Thus I don't mind gold as long as it's consistent.

EDIT: Quick Google revealed that they wore a shirt with a yellow Carlsberg logo in european competitions for two years. I think it looks terrible.

020319-028-Liverpool-Roma.jpg

I think this one looks terrible because both white and gold are incorporated. As long as you stick with one secondary colour the shirts looks nice. Thus I don't mind gold as long as it's consistent.

Except you can't use gold numbers in the Premier League, so it's not an option.

2-wkl2012.jpg

10-wkl2012.jpg

Archived