2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, the Islanders' current uniforms are a little bit too bright and honestly look really dated. Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s. It lacks the timeless feel of a good throwback uniform or their last CCM set, while also losing the visual interest of their Edge 1.0 set.

And that's exactly the thing that's bugging me about the Isles uniforms. I mean, they look nice an' all, but when you're dressed like it's the 70's and you're playing in a building which is old and crappy and falling apart... well, it's not a great image for this franchise to have.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s.

That's not inherently a bad thing. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Oh, and they didn't even correctly throw back to the blue sweater they were trying to recreate. The original had orange numbers:

686e5d27b13c6d9f.jpg

That Islanders design used white numbers from 1973-78. So really, the current Isles' sweaters are correct.

http://nhluniforms.c.../Islanders.html

Research before you post dude.

That brings up the other problem with the Isles' current set, though: It's not a throwback to the franchise's glory years, it's a throwback to the franchise's "hastily-arranged WHA :censored: -block" years.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That brings up the other problem with the Isles' current set, though: It's not a throwback to the franchise's glory years, it's a throwback to the franchise's "hastily-arranged WHA :censored: -block" years.

Well that it is. Still, I prefer the earlier striping pattern to the dynasty-era's striping pattern.

IMO, the Islanders' current uniforms are a little bit too bright and honestly look really dated. Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s. It lacks the timeless feel of a good throwback uniform or their last CCM set, while also losing the visual interest of their Edge 1.0 set.

And that's exactly the thing that's bugging me about the Isles uniforms. I mean, they look nice an' all, but when you're dressed like it's the 70's and you're playing in a building which is old and crappy and falling apart... well, it's not a great image for this franchise to have.

As opposed to the Ducks current crap of uniforms? Anything in the 70's is better than the black and gold, cutesy font, oh wait now let's add some orange the Ducks currently wear. When your team has a bad look, you really shouldn't comment on other teams looks. It's kind of like Joan Rivers commenting on how other people are dressed.

When your team has a bad look, you really shouldn't comment on other teams looks. It's kind of like Joan Rivers commenting on how other people are dressed.

Joan Rivers chooses what he wears. Fans don't have only control over what their team wears.

Also, while the Isles Edge units weren't horrible, they were "meh" at best. Front numbers and phantom yoke aside, the four stripes/four Cups has got to be one of the laziest, most uninspired ways possible of honouring your dynasty. It just looked so thrown on. Their current look is their best ever. How people think that a primarily royal blue jersey with orange as a secondary colour is "gaudy" is beyond me.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Also, while the Isles Edge units weren't horrible, they were "meh" at best. Front numbers and phantom yoke aside, the four stripes/four Cups has got to be one of the laziest, most uninspired ways possible of honouring your dynasty. It just looked so thrown on. Their current look is their best ever. How people think that a primarily royal blue jersey with orange as a secondary colour is "gaudy" is beyond me.

Seconded. The current colour scheme is the best in franchise history (the orange from the pre fisherman years was definitely more red). The only thing that bothers me about the current set is that the sleeve stripes aren't straight, they have that weird concave from a lot of the early edge jerseys. Might not be a big to deal to many but it really detracts from the look in my eyes.

As opposed to the Ducks current crap of uniforms? Anything in the 70's is better than the black and gold, cutesy font, oh wait now let's add some orange the Ducks currently wear. When your team has a bad look, you really shouldn't comment on other teams looks

That's the most hypocritical statement I've ever seen on these boards.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

As opposed to the Ducks current crap of uniforms? Anything in the 70's is better than the black and gold, cutesy font, oh wait now let's add some orange the Ducks currently wear. When your team has a bad look, you really shouldn't comment on other teams looks

It's also completely stupid and false. So because my team wears something bad looking, that I didn't choose and if I had any say they wouldn't wear, that means I can't comment on other teams uniforms. Come on, that's idiotic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's also completely stupid and false. So because my team wears something bad looking, that I didn't choose and if I had any say they wouldn't wear, that means I can't comment on other teams uniforms. Come on, that's idiotic.

It might be because he's a Kings fan and wildwing is a Ducks fan and we all know what Kings fans are like. But also some Kings fans get a bad rep because of the enormous bandwagon fanbase because of last year and because the Kings logo is the snapback-SWAG logo of choice because of the bandwagon.

IbjBaeE.png

Did anyone notice on the cbc broadcast during he flames game, they showed a graphic of an upcoming game with the senators using the face logo. The mouth region clearly looked a bit different, almost like he was pursing his lips or something. It looked smaller. Anyone?

This:

Senatorsupdate.pngsenators-logo.gif

That's all it was. The mouth line looked shorter and it is, but not by much. Looked a bit smaller even than this, which is why it caught my hawk eye.

His skin is also a bit darker, which is a good decision.

Here's some interesting stuff that Torch Creative posted to dribbble today. They've done quite a bit of work for the NHL, including the Stars 20th Anniversary logo.

torch_stars_primary.jpgtorch_stars_secondary.jpg

They updated their concept two days ago. I like the improvements:

BCTgZ6wCEAI9FPl.jpg

70389454.png

Guess we can rule the first logo out as the new primary. I really hope this change is coming next season and that we get to see the new uniforms before the draft. Anyone heard any news, the suspense is killing me :)

Here's some interesting stuff that Torch Creative posted to dribbble today. They've done quite a bit of work for the NHL, including the Stars 20th Anniversary logo.

torch_stars_primary.jpgtorch_stars_secondary.jpg

They updated their concept two days ago. I like the improvements:

BCTgZ6wCEAI9FPl.jpg

I really want to like the big "D" logo, but the gold "D" outline is too heavy on the sides and the bottom.

That little extension of the outline into the star bugs me, I find I spend more time looking at that than any other part of the logo. I mean, why just in one corner? I probably wouldn't notice it if they did it one on each corner.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I thought those were great

guerin.jpg

Woah, who turned out the lights? I did like these unis, though; even with their flaws, it ended up being one of the better edge-ifications.

The one thing that bugs me about the current set is the home socks. Where did they get that stripe? It doesn't even correctly match the stripes on the road uniforms. But then, on the road jerseys, the stripes on the arms match the sock stripes. Obviously I'm nitpicking but in terms of consistency it doesn't make much sense. Bother anyone else?

They have classic uniforms but the logo desperately needs an update. Not a fisherman style update, but a lighthouse crest / motif would be very cool if used correctly.

I think the Isles wait until the Brooklyn move to bring out a new third. I know they are staying as the New York Islanders, but there really is no way they avoid some type of Brooklyn branding. I could see some type of black third jersey with a Brooklyn script / arched lettering in the future for them.

70389454.png

Archived