Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

If those are them I'm on board. The Lakers have been really good at adapting their general uniform through the years and this update is no exception.

In contrast to the gimmicktry of the Nuggets, these are simple and refined. Really nice all around.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Like the gold numbers on the purple. 

I thought the Kobe/Shaq set was a great update to the showtime set. It moved forward without taking any unnecessary chances and trying to be gimmicky. The addition of the white worked very well, especially since it was a “special” Jersey only worn on Sundays. 

These are nice, and my only critique is that they don’t move “forward”, but more “back”. I’d love to see these with the wishbone collar, or maybe some kind of side stripe, or some detail that tastefully modernizes them and separates more from the era they’re trying to emulate. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

The Clippers, on the other hand, now need to reflect on their life choices.

2018-2019 team motto.

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I’d love to see these with the wishbone collar, or maybe some kind of side stripe, or some detail that tastefully modernizes them and separates more from the era they’re trying to emulate. 

Well these don’t feature the wide shorts stripe from the Showtime unis. That’s a pretty distinct detail. 

The striping on the jersey looks bad with purple/white/gold, and I don’t like gold uniforms on the purple uniform. Other than that, I like it. Probably should’ve just brought back the Showtime unis 100%, no changes, but whatever. 

18 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I wanted to get a LeBron Black Mamba jersey as a sort of best of both worlds. But I'm a stickler for the player whose name is on the jersey to have actually played in that jersey. (i.e. sure, you could get Magic Johnson on a current jersey. It's gold and purple and says Lakers, but you'd be wrong.)

So I’m not the only one! Thank you! I see people at Camden Yards sometimes with “Ripken 8” on the back of a current Orioles jersey. It’s just... wrong. 

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well these don’t feature the wide shorts stripe from the Showtime unis. That’s a pretty distinct detail. 

Yeah you’re right. I’d still prefer the wishbone collar, even if just as an homage to the last set. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah you’re right. I’d still prefer the wishbone collar, even if just as an homage to the last set. 

The wishbone collar is pretty underrated...

18 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Okay. Thanks.

Shame. I wanted to get a LeBron Black Mamba jersey as a sort of best of both worlds. But I'm a stickler for the player whose name is on the jersey to have actually played in that jersey. (i.e. sure, you could get Magic Johnson on a current jersey. It's gold and purple and says Lakers, but you'd be wrong.)

I like it if it goes back far enough (i.e. a Jack Eichel goat head Sabres jersey would be unique & cool to me)

4 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I like it if it goes back far enough (i.e. a Jack Eichel goat head Sabres jersey would be unique & cool to me)

But see that’s different imo. That’s a current player in a “classic” uniform, which could be cool to me. I’d buy a blue, Screaming Eagle Alex Ovechkin jersey. 

What @Still MIGHTY and I are talking about is the reverse, a “classic” player in a new uniform. In your example, it’d be like getting Miroslav Satan on a navy, number-on-the-right-shoulder Sabres jersey, or in my example, it’d be like getting Dale Hunter or Peter Bondra in a modern Caps jersey. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

These are nice, and my only critique is that they don’t move “forward”, but more “back”. 

I’m not sure I agree.  Yes, it’s a round collar and not the wishbone we’ve seen in recent years.  But the new stripe pattern on both the jersey and shorts feels very minimalistic, very modern.

Not to concede that “forward” is inherently better than “back”. I don’t think it is.  If your “back” is a good design, sometimes that’s the best direction to go in. 

20 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

But see that’s different imo. That’s a current player in a “classic” uniform, which could be cool to me. I’d buy a blue, Screaming Eagle Alex Ovechkin jersey. 

What @Still MIGHTY and I are talking about is the reverse, a “classic” player in a new uniform. In your example, it’d be like getting Miroslav Satan on a navy, number-on-the-right-shoulder Sabres jersey, or in my example, it’d be like getting Dale Hunter or Peter Bondra in a modern Caps jersey. 

But see, Ovechkin actually wore the eagle Caps jersey. That'd be cool. @C-Squared's example doesn't work for me because Eichel has never worn the red-black Sabres goat-head. That wouldn't be cool.

I'm not even particularly fond of getting getting a current player on a currently worn throwback, but I don't have much of a leg to stand on there, because well they did wear it. Even if for one game. Like if someone got a Lonzo MPLS jersey from last year. He was and won't ever be a Minneapolis Laker or associated with that jersey, but he wore it in a game, so, do what you must. (Like around these parts, when the Ducks wore their Mighty Ducks throwbacks, everyone bought them of course, and plenty got current players on it. That bothers me a little, but I can't do anything about it because those players did wear that jersey).

---

Anyways, I'm down with these new Laker jerseys. I actually love the subtle drop shadow and the gold numbers on the purple jersey, and I can't pick which one I want for my LeBron jersey. They're all so nice.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

34 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

But see, Ovechkin actually wore the eagle Caps jersey. That'd be cool. @C-Squared's example doesn't work for me because Eichel has never worn the red-black Sabres goat-head. That wouldn't be cool.

Ovechkin never wore the blue eagle Caps jersey. He wore the white and black ones.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, logos are cool said:

Exactly!! Did we get the Celtics to design these? I wonder who is responsible for this disaster?

By the looks of it, the same people who brought us the Cavs' disaster after LeBron left the first time, and the Knicks' dumbification. This is not quite as bad as that Cavs set, although.

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I think when its a very foregone-era jersey, it works because its an obvious custom job by a die-hard fan, as opposed to a slightly-out-of-date jersey that looks like a mistake by a fan who doesn't know better... like a self-made answer to a throwback... tbh, I plan on taking it even further by scoring custom number kits & making a circa '92 Jim Kelly & circa '99 Flutie jersey.

Not how I would have done it, but not bad. Assuming the leaks are relatively accurate, I'm not crazy about the numbers being the same color as the wordmark on the purple and gold jerseys, but that's probably because I'm so used to seeing contrasting colors and it's just different, not necessarily bad. I'd prefer the shorts have wider panels instead of the piping but I can live with it, they should have the piping on the jerseys too, though. Overall, it's a nice upgrade for me. I was beginning to get tired of the dated collar and overall 2000's feel of the current/outgoing uniforms. 

Archived