NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I see a switch to more gray/silver.

The blue jerseys usually have white numbers, correct? In the Instagram collage, it looks like a switch to gray. On my phone it looks more gray than on my laptop.

Silver helmets will remain, though that texture might be new (I think they usually had a metallic silver with a smooth clear coat).

Aren’t the sleeve logos usually screened on for the Panthers?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

58 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Am I the only one who wants the Panthers to not remove Silver on this Board? I would rather they Minimize the Use of White outside of the Away Jersey.

I think the silver is unnecessary, and only takes away from that blue popping off the black:

Related imageImage result for carolina panthers

I would go with something like that Tar Heels, with a minimum use of white. I would even rather them go with something with a dark gray instead of silver. Something that will allow that blue to pop.

Yeah. The Panthers prototype uniform, while really close to the Primary set, used Silver Numbers on the Home Jersey (Which was Blue, no Black Jersey), and it looked pretty good! It also had no White on the Jersey as well, along with the Pants. (Minus the Black TV Numbers on the Blue Jersey)

(In Spoiler Tag to Minimize Size)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, the one time they wore Silver Pants with the White Jersey, v. the Colts in 1998, doesn't look that bad...

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Given how much the Panthers avoid wearing the black jerseys during the early months of the season, going to black helmets would be odd. Assuming it's a heat superstition thing, wouldn't they want to maintain a light colored helmet?

I'm with you on dropping silver though. At least as a uniform color. I'd be okay with silver remaining as a logo accent color.

I personally don't like the silver pants, so dropping them would be great, imo. The all-white away look is great, and the all-black is literally the greatest NFL uniform of all time. Not to mention the use of white/black and blue/black, it seems like silver is being phased out of the jerseys.

3 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Am I the only one who wants the Panthers to not remove Silver on this Board? I would rather they Minimize the Use of White outside of the Away Jersey.

I agree that the white should be minimized, but I think the silver is wholly unnecessary. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’m sick of that being the only shot of the silver pants. So I’ve screencapped this from the Colts 1998 highlights reel for future use. 

spacer.png

Yeah, THAT is how the Panthers should look on the road. Maybe Black Pants for a game or two, but the White Pants should just burn now...

da0Lbhs.png

So, I’ve explained my disdain for uniforms where, in three-color combinations (helmet, jersey, and shorts are all different colors), the helmet is the lightest of all of the elements. I almost always prefer the helmet to be the darkest of the three, with the helmet being the middle shade as an acceptable (but still not great) alternative. Also, I dislike uniforms where the only appearance of a color is on one element (helmet, jersey, or pants). To both of these, I believe I said “no exceptions”.

Carolina is the exception.

Despite blatantly breaking my general “rules”, I love how the silver helmets look. I wish for a set where the only silver in the entire thing is the helmet - everything else is black, blue, and white. My preferred home combination would be silver-black-white, with a game or two in all black. I don’t understand why or how, but that’s just my “ideal” look for them. This is the only team I feel that way for.

ExJworW.png

13 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’m sick of that being the only shot of the silver pants. So I’ve screencapped this from the Colts 1998 highlights reel for future use. 

spacer.png

Now see that looks good to me only because the blue and black are together, and the silver here just happens to look like flat gray. The silver on the Panthers just looks tacky to me.

7 hours ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

I think it looks a little to Lions-ish and I feel like this is the reason it hasnt been back. 

idk... thoughts?

A darker gray than what the Lions' use would work best for the Panthers, if anything.

NFL: OCT 08 Panthers at Lions : News Photo

Carolina Panthers v Detroit Lions : News Photo

When I look at pics that show off their beautiful blue and black, the silver just looks unnecessary to me:

Related imageNFC Championship - Arizona Cardinals v Carolina Panthers : News Photo

4 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Related image

I don’t care how unpopular it is, I absolutely love this uniform and no one can convince me not to. The only thing that ruins it is when they wear the black socks with it

2 hours ago, jn8 said:

I don’t care how unpopular it is, I absolutely love this uniform and no one can convince me not to. The only thing that ruins it is when they wear the black socks with it

Ditto. I don't consider it the greatest in league history, but it is a fantastic look as long as they stick with the blue socks. I wonder how it would look if the number were silver with a blue outline?

I’ve always wanted the Panthers to go with black and Carolina blue exclusively in order to differentiate themselves from the Raiders (gray-black-gray) at home. The saving grace has been avoiding gray pants on the road because they’d generally look like the Raiders, Cowboys and Lions (gray-white-gray). And you can’t really promote Carolina blue to home and relegate black to an alternate without generally looking like the Lions at home, though that would be an upgrade in and of itself. I understand the Blue is quite different, but I’m just speaking in generalities. Something like UNC above, even if you must have white or gray accents, would be far superior to their current look.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, simtek34 said:

I'm with you for sure, Simtek. I don't want them to drop silver, and I don't want them to darken it to a dull grey either.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, WSU151 said:

I think I see a switch to more gray/silver.

The blue jerseys usually have white numbers, correct? In the Instagram collage, it looks like a switch to gray. On my phone it looks more gray than on my laptop.

Silver helmets will remain, though that texture might be new (I think they usually had a metallic silver with a smooth clear coat).

Aren’t the sleeve logos usually screened on for the Panthers?

I know the Panthers' particular shade of silver is the league's brightest. I also have seen a full-sized replica up close and it's definitely metal-flake paint - not quite as obvious as with the Giants, but there are lots of little sparkles in there brightening up the appearance. (Incidentally, the Dolphins replica also had some sparkles in the white paint.) I'm pretty sure the finish is also as glossy as any other team's. I hope they don't dull the color, the texture, or the finish down, because I like their weird shiny helmets. 

No idea about sleeve logos but that

stitched one looked really cool.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, simtek34 said:

Yeah. The Panthers prototype uniform, while really close to the Primary set, used Silver Numbers on the Home Jersey (Which was Blue, no Black Jersey), and it looked pretty good! It also had no White on the Jersey as well, along with the Pants. (Minus the Black TV Numbers on the Blue Jersey)

(In Spoiler Tag to Minimize Size)

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, the one time they wore Silver Pants with the White Jersey, v. the Colts in 1998, doesn't look that bad...

spacer.png

Interesting that the black pants were being considered before the team ever took the field, and that they are almost identical to the ones they wear now. I wonder why they had ultimately decided against using them at all by the time they debuted, and also why they waited all the way until their logo refresh to use them. I think they look great, and I know many others do too.

As to the silver/grey pants worn with white jerseys in 1998...I had no clue before tonight that the team had worn that combo even a single time in its history. I feel like there has to be an explanation for this, like the equipment manager accidentally packing the wrong pants or something similarly wacky.

15 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Yeah, THAT is how the Panthers should look on the road. Maybe Black Pants for a game or two, but the White Pants should just burn now...

Personally, I'd have them wear primarily black pants on the road, to distinguish them from the Raiders.

Just so we’re clear: WHAT exactly are the Panthers doing with their uniforms?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The only difference I actually notice in the Instagram photo collage is the collar is gray with a blue stroke rather than all-blue. The numbers may be gray, too, but it’s hard to tell (could just be the lighting). 

One thing that does throw me off is the jersey, which isn’t their old Rippon template or the Vapor Untouchable template (neither has mesh holes above the nameplate). Could just be a lower quality retail version, though, which would be an odd choice to feature.

Archived