Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

I love the powder blue and am intrigued by the Royal 

alts But these right here are elite level unis spacer.png

They navy-dominant Chargers look should stay in the past where it belongs, but I will say I really loved one thing on these uniforms:  the double outline, where the inner outline is the same color as the background material. It gives off a very "electric" effect.

I’m not necessarily clamoring for the Tomlinson set to return - I think powder blue is actually the right way to go right now in order to separate better from the Rams - I just think it’s a really good football uniform that gets a lot of flak it doesn’t deserve. 

I’ve never really seen what was so egregiously bad about it; it’s very cohesively designed, bolts are against consistent background colors all the way through, uses block font instead of something outlandish, no gimmicks, and still maintains the look of a traditional football uniform with a progressive twist (bolts filling striping spaces). From a strictly design standpoint, irregardless of prior team history, I think it’s a very well-thought-out and well-designed set. Plus, it never seemed “drab” to me because it still has the bolts from head to toe. That may sound silly, but I think that’s important because maintaining the bolts all the way through keeps it exciting and separates that set from something perhaps more truly drab and stripped down, like say, the present Jaguars. The Tomlinson set never steeped that low, not even close.

18 minutes ago, insert name said:

Those 90s era Chargers uniforms won’t work on today’s template. 

Then wouldn’t that mean any Chargers uniform prior to that one won’t work on today’s template either? They all essentially followed the same layout idea, irregardless of color scheme or minor tweaks in bolts.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The biggest issue with those uniforms are that they're boring. The most heavily emphasized colors in those uniforms are navy blue and white, the most boring color scheme imaginable for a sports team. The traditional powder blue was long gone by then, not because it was unpopular, but because the Spanos family hated it and didn't care what the fans thought. And it wasn't just the Tomlinson set - it was also the Ryan Leaf set and the embarrassing blowout loss in the Super Bowl set. I'd argue that it's associated with more bad memories than good ones.

Given the whole electricity theme of the Chargers' identity, they need bright, vibrant uniforms. Not boring navy and white with traces of gold.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I didn't hate it as much as some people.

The road uniforms weren't terrible...

San-Diego-Chargers-1.jpg

I think it was 1989-90 when they didn't have the bolt on the pants, which was weird.

Image result for 1989 chargers

Image result for 1989 chargers

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Went to find it a link and it has been taken down. I messaged him about it and he has yet to get back to me.

Instagram stories expire after 24 hours, so that’s likely what happened. I follow him as well and saw it. We’ll see what it means come the 24th!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Michael Irwin, a graphic designer who worked on the Browns and Lions rebrands, as well as other NFL event logos, just posted this on his instagram story. 

TtWBwj2.png

it's happening ron paul GIF

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The biggest issue with those uniforms are that they're boring. The most heavily emphasized colors in those uniforms are navy blue and white, the most boring color scheme imaginable for a sports team. The traditional powder blue was long gone by then, not because it was unpopular, but because the Spanos family hated it and didn't care what the fans thought. And it wasn't just the Tomlinson set - it was also the Ryan Leaf set and the embarrassing blowout loss in the Super Bowl set. I'd argue that it's associated with more bad memories than good ones.

Given the whole electricity theme of the Chargers' identity, they need bright, vibrant uniforms. Not boring navy and white with traces of gold.

Exactly, and on top of that the fans have spoken quite clearly that they prefer the powder by a mile.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, colortv said:

I think it's pretty obvious what the Rams and Chargers should do to differentiate themselves from each other, they are going to be playing in the same city:

Rams: Gold and Navy/Royal, with Gold being the dominant color.

Chargers: Powder and Gold, with Powder being the dominant color.

This is basically the brand differentiation regarding color that I'm talking about:

Los-Angeles-Rams-LA-flags-90x150cm-polye''

TtWBwj2.png

The Chargers navy blue and gold uniforms looked terrible when the numbers, names, and lightning bolts were screen printed; they looked cheap and small-market. When Reebok took over the NFL uniforms contract, the uniforms looked noticeably better but were still lacking. The current set works very well because it's a more athletic look that brings out the lightning bolt on the helmet.

That being said, I want them to wear the "throwback" powder blues full-time. White helmets, black outline on the lightning bolt, gray face masks, black numbers on the helmets, the whole thing.

Archived