2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

Sabres: black and red goat head with pointy side panels

Bruins: shoulder stripe with interrupted sleeve stripes

Predators: giant silvery shoulder yoke also with pointy side panels

Capitals: mismatched

Senators: mismatched worse

Thrashers: existed

It was not a great year. It did have the fantastic off-white ASG uniforms (complete with v-neck sweaters for refs, which I still believe should be a signature design element of hockey refs), and the new Flames sweaters looked neat. Of those alts, you had the flaming snot horse downgraded to alt status, the mechanical oil drop, the Ducks that looked like the Kings, Pooh Bear, the emboss-filter Flyers, the deli mustard Perds, pointy-side-panel Isles, and MOOTERUS. That was literally the season that in real time cemented my longstanding opinion that the NHL should have no alts at all.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

I think 2003-04 was the best the NHL has ever looked. Sure we loose a bit with the Coyotes having switched to their boring look that year but this was also the year of the Vintage jersey program so that balances it out. The Mighty Ducks were still around, there were many of the cool Alts still left too. It was a great year and probably a lot more memorable with the lockout the next year but still, the NHL looked so amazing in 2003-04. 

I have to respectfully disagree,  The early aughts IMO were not the greatest looking years.  Seemed like every team wanted to wear navy blue or black if they could.  Some teams did Vintage jersey program well (Canucks and Rangers) by having at least matching pants.  Some teams Vintage looks were damaged by not wearing matching equipment.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The Flyers had gotten rid of the orange sweater and used the black uniform as the primary away look. So, that was literally a very dark period for them.

They also had that not-so-good orange alt with the gray in the logo and uniform. That was the worst the Flyers has ever looked pre-Edge.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

I think 2003-04 was the best the NHL has ever looked. Sure we loose a bit with the Coyotes having switched to their boring look that year but this was also the year of the Vintage jersey program so that balances it out. The Mighty Ducks were still around, there were many of the cool Alts still left too. It was a great year and probably a lot more memorable with the lockout the next year but still, the NHL looked so amazing in 2003-04. 

The league was really coming into its own during the period between the 2003 and 2007.  The wackier designs of the 90's were going by the wayside and a return to a more traditional aesthetic was beginning to take place organically.  You saw it in the Coyotes rebrand, the Flames return to red, the Bruins replacing their Pooh-Bear alternate with an Orr-era throwback, multiple teams returning to lace-up collars and the excellent All Star jerseys from the game in Minnesota. 

More importantly than that, newer teams were not trying to be something they weren't.  You didn't have Lightning masquerading as the Maple Leafs, The Hurricanes weren't using a diagonal-script, Nashville hadn't sucked all the life out of their identity, the Sharks still had their original (and perfect) colour scheme and Florida didn't feel the need to be another red team with a chest stripe.

Without the Reebok Edge debacle, it's not difficult to imagine the league being perfected within 3 to 5 years.   The Canucks were already transitioning to blue and green, the Bruins excellent cup-winning set eschewed the Edge aesthetic so it probably would've happened regardless, The Capitals wanted a return to Red as early as 02 and maybe the whole Buffaslug debacle doesn't happen without Reebok's influence.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

The league was really coming into its own during the period between the 2003 and 2007.  The wackier designs of the 90's were going by the wayside and a return to a more traditional aesthetic was beginning to take place organically.  You saw it in the Coyotes rebrand, the Flames return to red, the Bruins replacing their Pooh-Bear alternate with an Orr-era throwback, multiple teams returning to lace-up collars and the excellent All Star jerseys from the game in Minnesota. 

More importantly than that, newer teams were not trying to be something they weren't.  You didn't have Lightning masquerading as the Maple Leafs, The Hurricanes weren't using a diagonal-script, Nashville hadn't sucked all the life out of their identity, the Sharks still had their original (and perfect) colour scheme and Florida didn't feel the need to be another red team with a chest stripe.

Without the Reebok Edge debacle, it's not difficult to imagine the league being perfected within 3 to 5 years.   The Canucks were already transitioning to blue and green, the Bruins excellent cup-winning set eschewed the Edge aesthetic so it probably would've happened regardless, The Capitals wanted a return to Red as early as 02 and maybe the whole Buffaslug debacle doesn't happen without Reebok's influence.

My favorite era is late 80s - early 90s. After looking at the NHL Uniform database, I think the 89-90 season is great, including the All Star jerseys. Sure there are a few oddities, like the Leafs full arm yokes (i admittingly love those) and the North Stars adding black, but i love this era. That's my favorite Blues jersey and I love the yoke-less Bruins. 

http://www.nhluniforms.com/1989-90/1989-90.html

• Like 1

I used to think that 2003-04 was the peak of NHL jerseys as well but I have to agree, as much as I like navy blue as a jersey colour the league was way way way too navy blue and black at that point. There were 7 black teams, 7 navy teams,  and 7 of the other teams had a black or navy alternate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

I'm hearing the Kraken's jerseys will be "officially" unveiled Wednesday at the expansion draft.

They'll go on sale September 15.

That's officially official now: https://www.nhl.com/kraken/news/kraken-jersey-to-go-on-sale-september-15/c-325690568

It's been roughly a year since the Kraken name and brand was unveiled, providing a sneak peek at the jersey's colors, marks, fonts, stripes and overall design. Reviews were overwhelming thumbs-up and the question was asked: "When will the jerseys be available?" 

The short answer: About a year or so. The longer explanation: It requires 12 to 14 months for league jersey sponsor Adidas to fine-tune the design, be precise about the high-performance materials used to maximize player output and be sure the official jersey can be consistently produced to the utmost quality and authenticity standards.  

Edited by officeglenn

Sept. 15, but according to the Seattle Times, available from their three retail stores; I didn't see anything about online availability.

They're going to sell out immediately, and then sell out again. And then again.

Hopefully they're well stocked by Christmas.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

My favorite era is late 80s - early 90s. After looking at the NHL Uniform database, I think the 89-90 season is great, including the All Star jerseys. Sure there are a few oddities, like the Leafs full arm yokes (i admittingly love those) and the North Stars adding black, but i love this era. That's my favorite Blues jersey and I love the yoke-less Bruins. 

http://www.nhluniforms.com/1989-90/1989-90.html

The late 80's/early 90's looked great too.  One thing I hated about the mid-90's was how green all but vanished from the league...  The North Stars and Whalers replacing it with Black & Navy, before disappearing all-together, was devastating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Sept. 15, but according to the Seattle Times, available from their three retail stores; I didn't see anything about online availability.

They're going to sell out immediately, and then sell out again. And then again.

Hopefully they're well stocked by Christmas.

from the Kraken.

Our stores and the @NHL_Shop, operated by Fanatics, will have the exclusive first on-sale beginning 9/15. 

Other retailers will begin selling on the 9/20!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Kings have really had a lot of jerseys the last few years; home/road, gray alt, white 90s, RR, AFA Stadium Series, now a new alt and classic. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.