2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

19 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Not only is it unusual, novel and unpractical like others have said, but it also means your uniform is poorly balanced if you need two different sets of pants for your home and away jerseys. It just creates a different problem instead of fixing anything imo

I don't think this is necessarily true. Plenty of NFL teams with strong brands use multiple pants for their primary home & away uniforms (Chiefs, Browns, Bills). Often a team will choose contrasting pants at home to avoid a monochrome look, but it sticks out when used with the white jersey.

We only saw it briefly last season, but I wonder if Columbus will keep the navy pants with red trim around to use on the road. It helps balance the uniform better, and keeps them from looking too much like the Rangers:

spacer.png

Also, with the Oilers promoting their navy alternate to primary home status, I wonder how they handle the pants. Their primary uniform has stripes on the pants, but the alternate is solid navy:

spacer.png

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. Plenty of NFL teams with strong brands use multiple pants for their primary home & away uniforms (Chiefs, Browns, Bills). Often a team will choose contrasting pants at home to avoid a monochrome look, but it sticks out when used with the white jersey.

We only saw it briefly last season, but I wonder if Columbus will keep the navy pants with red trim around to use on the road. It helps balance the uniform better, and keeps them from looking too much like the Rangers:

spacer.png

Yeah I was going to say. When the Blue Jackets introduced the blue pants for the stupid red jerseys it opened the door for this. Prior to that it was always just a thought, but once the pants became real then I think we were all hoping they'd try it with the road uniforms. They waited until the last road game of the season, but I thought it looked pretty good and definitely better than the red pants with the white jerseys. 

63588f41-4ca5-4b81-91cc-12af46be7b39-lar

5942da04-52dd-4456-8a46-de4e6523813c-med

I would love to be the team that wears red pants at home and blue on the road. It solves two problems: 1. The red pants don't really feel like they belong with the white jerseys and socks and 2. Having home and road pants gives them a unique uniform quirk, which helps further set them apart from the other blue/red teams. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Yeah I was going to say. When the Blue Jackets introduced the blue pants for the stupid red jerseys it opened the door for this. Prior to that it was always just a thought, but once the pants became real then I think we were all hoping they'd try it with the road uniforms. They waited until the last road game of the season, but I thought it looked pretty good and definitely better than the red pants with the white jerseys. 

I would love to be the team that wears red pants at home and blue on the road. It solves two problems: 1. The red pants don't really feel like they belong with the white jerseys and socks and 2. Having home and road pants gives them a unique uniform quirk, which helps further set them apart from the other blue/red teams. 

The BlueJackets can get away with this because their away sweater actually has blue as the dominate color with red accents.  It works well to change to blue pants on the away uniform.

Colorado has almost NO BLUE on their away sweater.  If they were to go with burgundy pants, it would be a burgundy and white uniform with a random blue stripe on the socks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Also, with the Oilers promoting their navy alternate to primary home status

Is this confirmed? I remember a lot of Oilers discussion on this thread not too long ago, which may have been prompted by this news, but if it's real I've completely erased it from my memory.  Which is probably a coping mechanism, cause that's easily the worst and most bland Oilers uniform since the initial Edge navy/copper piping disaster. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Is this confirmed? I remember a lot of Oilers discussion on this thread not too long ago, which may have been prompted by this news, but if it's real I've completely erased it from my memory.  Which is probably a coping mechanism, cause that's easily the worst and most bland Oilers uniform since the initial Edge navy/copper piping disaster. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Different sport. You're comparing apples to oranges. White pants (or any light pants, silver, yellow etc) work in football, they look stupid in hockey

2 hours ago, Sport said:

It's funny cause I think the red pants look better with the white jersey than the navy jersey. The home uniform is just completely navy save for the pants, I always thought it looked weird and stuck out like a sore thumb, even more since the adidas "update" where they removed even more red from the socks. It pains me to say that cause I think red hockey gear looks great and that there are too many teams with navy gear, but the Blue Jackets do look better with navy pants

But I don't think they need any quirks. They don't look like the Rangers or Capitals at all and I don't think even the most casual fan would mix them up

Hopefully the Avs just used cheap materials for the rookie camp games and we see numbers that better match for the regular uniform. This looks so much better:

whf1zOc.png

So much better than the baby blue we saw during the Rookie Camp games.  GIF to show the differences:

Erfvli2.gif

• Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 3:33 PM, CreamSoda said:

Hopefully the Avs just used cheap materials for the rookie camp games and we see numbers that better match for the regular uniform. This looks so much better:

whf1zOc.png

So much better than the baby blue we saw during the Rookie Camp games.  GIF to show the differences:

Erfvli2.gif

It does look better but it doesn't look good.

Take a look at the socks. Blue/Grey/Burgundy. That should be the theme for the entire uniform. The shoulders and waist should have a blue stripe next to the grey stripe like the classic uniforms did. The numbers should be burgundy with grey and blue outlines. And yes, the pants should be burgundy.

• Like 4

On 9/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, monkeypower said:

All you pro-black, anti-blue people have been Stockholm Syndromed into thinking the black equipment and numbers looked good. The black striping and the numbers were extraneous and the black equipment looked like a youth hockey team, but youth hockey has a pass because black is the default retail hockey equipment colour.

Know I'm a day late on this, but I think the way they could've gone is like the Mighty Ducks example you posted a little later on and match the primary color with burgundy. I know that clashes a bit with the bottom of the home jersey with the burgundy and blue touching, but I think it would look miles better for the road.

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

4 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I like black to blue.

And the reason Dallas is rightfully at the bottom of the jersey rankings is because the only interesting part of their identity is the shade of the green.

Exactly. Dallas’ uniforms, while classy, just feel derivative. The logo is a bit sterile too, as bevels are so played out now. They’re fine, but they could do with an upgrade and maybe something to let the Wild pull a Hornets/Bobcats.

19 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

whf1zOc.png

What's really missing here is the silver outlining on the numbers. For most of Avs history, the blue and maroon elements have not touched (yes the blue shoulder stripes on the Reebok era jerseys had no border but that's the lone exception). I think the maroon and the blue, while a great pair, really benefit from having a neutral color separating them. Put those numbers in blue, outlined in silver, and see a big shift.

• Like 1

Updated Coyotes logo on the back Kachina sweater. New one is on the left. They have added the tan outline on the inside of the left coyote leg and tan outline around tail and inside of the right arm. Corrected the right skate color, added/corrected the upper purple stripe on the left arm, and added the green tip on the top feather.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

Updated Coyotes logo on the back Kachina sweater. New one is on the left. They have added the tan outline on the inside of the left coyote leg and tan outline around tail and inside of the right arm. Corrected the right skate color, added/corrected the upper purple stripe on the left arm, and added the green tip on the top feather.

Why was it wrong? Does anybody know the story to this? Is there even a story to this?

Looking into it more, I also don't know if it's been entirely fixed.

• The updated jersey logo has the corrected skate blade colour, the green feather tip and the upper purple arm stripe
  • Their rookie team was still wearing the incorrectly logoed Kachina jerseys from previous years yesterday for the rookie tournament, which I guess might not mean much because they probably just had those ones laying around
  • The logo they put at centre ice has the corrected skate blade colour and the green feather tip, but is missing the upper purple arm stripe
  • On the Coyotes website, all the logo graphics there match the centre ice logo with the corrected skate blade colour and the green feather tip, but are missing the upper purple arm stripe
  • However, the little logo in the schedule bar across the top of the website matches the jersey logo with the corrected skate blade colour, the green feather tip and the upper purple arm stripe
  • Then when you mosey over to their Twitter, their Facebook and their Instagram, the profile picture and the cover photo (for Twitter and Facebook) have the corrected skate blade colour but do not have the green feather tip nor the upper purple left arm stripe
  • The graphics in the social media posts use the logo seen at centre ice and on the website with the corrected skate blade colour and the green feather tip, but no upper purple arm stripe

Another thing I noticed was that Chychrun was the Coyotes rep at the Media Tour days and wore the howling coyote logo on one day and then the Kachina (sans upper purple arm stripe like the logo seen at centre ice and on the website) the next.

So by my count there are four different Kachinas in use right now by the Coyotes. The incorrect 2018-2021(?) jersey Kachina, the jersey/tiny website schedule Kachina, the centre ice/website/polo Kachina, and the social media profile picture Kachina. Then add in that Chychrun shows up at the media day wearing the howling coyote logo (though that could have been out of the Coyotes hands, I don't know how they pick what the players are going to wear for those but I would assume the teams would have a say)?

I guess some of this could be fixed or the logos could pared down on Monday with the unveiling, or whatever it is, but I think at the very least there will be at least two Kachinas with the jersey/tiny website schedule Kachina and the centre ice/website/polo Kachina.

I don't know what all this is about, other than Coyotes Hockey, Baby! 

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

On the Avs ...again after seeing them in action in practice it's just a mess... IMO grey is on the jerseys to separate burgundy from blue.  So there is NO REASON for (1) burgundy and blue to ever touch and (2) grey to be present anywhere OTHER than between burgundy and blue.  Plus, all the grey stripes should be the same width.   I don't have an issue with the black equipment/breezers, but if they insist on eliminating it I think they have two fine options (personally I'd prefer burgundy shoulders/breezers):

3nxoRt9.png

• Like 3