College Football 2019

29texan

46 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

spacer.png

Loving this ASU helmet. They really need to have the center maroon stripe on the gold helmet be a full time thing. Would look a lot better with sparky but i’ll take it.

Needs more Sparky.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Adidas did a much better job on these than Nike did with their last Husky uniform.  

In case you did not notice they removed the Iconic Jaws of Husky Stadium from the jerseys. That makes this a massive downgrade.

43 minutes ago, MattMill said:

That pitchfork is barely legible. Make it solid maroon and that's a real good ASU look. 

I agree but it needs to be solid maroon with white flames and no outline, just two colors. They usually do maroon pitchfork with gold flames and then a maroon outline. It’s a terrible look. For example:

spacer.png

The fork from the copper desert fuel look has a better looking fork in regards to outlines:

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Speaking of Adidas creep, are sock logos even a thing? I can't recall even Oregon having a swoosh on their socks. Maybe I just haven't noticed. Maybe one logo, not three. 

That's tacky as hell. 

He has only one logo per sock. The kid's just wearing 6 for some reason.

Yeah the outline on the yellow helmet is a tad overdone and oversized. Atleast it looks overdone. None of their other merchandise features such a outline. 

This could work

spacer.png

Or maybe no.flames. But please no color on color. Only a select few make it work and the marlins are a recent example that don't work. 

7 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Amazing set. Best yet. Don't change a thing. 

...what.

Those numbers are still horribawful.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I not an overall fan of Adidas take for a lot of teams, but I think the stripped, kinda gimmicky basic looks that it brings for schools not as seeped in tradition (ASU and Wash) works for those schools, but when they tried pulling that at ND and Wisconsin (Ugh, dark years for those looks in the latter parts of the contract), it just came off as ugly and cheap looking. 

My thoughts on uniform supplier's relation to the success and or reputation of a team;

Bottom-Level Looks => Bottom-Level Success & Reputation (Teams Typically Have Little Tradition & No Historic Identity)

• Nike Catalog Looks; typically aren't competing just looking for a look that doesn't cost much & low-to-moderate concern of reputation (In US, Nike is definitely more liked than Adidas)
  • Adidas Catalog Looks; typically wanting to save money & aren't concerned with reputation

Mid-Level Looks => Mid-Level Success & Reputation (Teams Typically Have Some Tradition & A Few Memorable Identities)

• Under Armour Catalog Looks; typically splurging a little to get some unique basic looks, as UA has shown to be more expensive than Nike & Adidas, also moderately concerned with reputation
  • Adidas Custom Looks; pretty much either slight variation of catalog looks, a traditional look that they somehow also always mess something up about it, or some gimmick based on a tradition from the school (See all the throwbacks for A&M and the alts that were made for UCLA)

High Level Looks => High-Level Success & Reputation (Teams Typically Have Lots of Tradition & At Least One Iconic/Consistent Identity)

• Under-Armour Custom Looks; high level of respect for traditional looks & good at finding ways of maintaining old designs on tighter & smaller uniforms,and there's generally a lot of effort put into the custom alts for teams (see Maryland's Alts and Notre Dame's Shamrock Series Alts) 
  • Nike Custom Looks; same as UA essentially but I would say that Nike is also good at helping teams create an Identity (See Oregon, TCU, Baylor, and Boise State)

Obviously there's expections to this rule;

• Cal & Texas Tech both have custom (beautiful) looks from UA but aren't really powerhouses or seeped in much tradition comparatively to other schools 
  • Several schools that have Nike Custom Looks are still mediocre at best see teams like Vandy, Wake Forest, Baylor, Oregon State, etc
  • A team can have basic looks and all of a sudden get really good (then get a custom look) i.e. Boise State

However, I do believe there's enough evidence out there to support my theory here

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

There’s obviously a trend of color-on-same color aesthetics (whether it be football helmet decals, football numbers, or baseball jerseys, eg Marlins) and every time it looks awful. 

Not sure why designers are so infatuated with outlines when contrasting marks look better 99 times out of 100. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

31 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

There’s obviously a trend of color-on-same color aesthetics (whether it be football helmet decals, football numbers, or baseball jerseys, eg Marlins) and every time it looks awful. 

Not sure why designers are so infatuated with outlines when contrasting marks look better 99 times out of 100. 

Luckily the NCAA cannot do numbers like that anymore

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-uniform-numbers-getting-harder-to-read-causing-problems/

It was pretty bad folks. I'm glad we're getting back to some level of authenticity. 

Here's a PowerPoint for reference from the link above

https://slideplayer.com/slide/5272249/

That website also has a bunch of high school uniform rule changes and what not. I don't want things to get too cookie cutter but I'm glad we're balancing it back 

Cincinnati Bearcats Reveal New Under Armour Football Uniforms

July 11, 2019 - 17:23 PM

The Cincinnati Bearcats on Wednesday evening unveiled brand new Under Armour uniforms that aren’t all that different from their previous set. Cincinnati will be one of just five programs — including Auburn, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Wisconsin — outfitted in […]

Read More...

10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

...what.

Those numbers are still horribawful.

I like them. I see it as a great design solution to the bottom line of why there are uniforms... 1) to differentiate one team from another, and 2) to distinguish one player from another. Yes, the numerals are large, but for the purpose of distinguishing one player from another, they do the job very clearly. 

16 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

spacer.png

Loving this ASU helmet. They really need to have the center maroon stripe on the gold helmet be a full time thing. Would look a lot better with sparky but i’ll take it.

As an ASU alum I love the yellow facemask on the helmet.  Its different. The yellow pitchfork is a nice change too.  I too would prefer sparky but I will take it as well. I am sure there will be a sparky game this season. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

New UCF space unis!!!  I don't see much difference from last year, but I love it!

They haven't been unveiled yet. This is just showing the last two iterations and stating that there will be new ones in 2019.

Never liked for Arizona State's pitchfork logo. Honestly would prefer if they used their old interlocking "AS" logo over that. Don't dislike Sparky, just prefer the AS logo.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived