NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

Sabres Celebrate 50 Years With New Logos

May 20, 2019 - 16:13 PM

The Buffalo Sabres are getting set to commemorate 50 years in the National Hockey League. Today the Sabres kicked off their 50th anniversary season with the introduction of two new logos marking the milestone year, a primary and alternate anniversary […]

Read More...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Man, the Sabres’ crest is remarkably overrated. Cleaning up/simplifying the 1990s/‘00s designs would be a much better course of action.

35.png

twdheefvk2ogw2k2ghja.png

Just because they play in Buffalo does not mean they need to have a bison on their logo.

You’re saying that like they left the much better, simpler sabers out of the logo, adding the buffalo just fills an empty space in the shield and adds another element that identifies them as the buffalo sabers

Just now, the admiral said:

Buffalo + Sabres, it all fits in a nice circle, it's good.

But they don’t need a buffalo. They’re not the Bisons or the Bills, where they kind of need the animal rendering. Simplifying the identity down to the crosses swords and the B-sword would be fine.

Need, no, but it does fill some empty space well and it's sort of clever. Besides, Buffalo isn't exactly a city on the aesthetic vanguard. There's not much wrong with them sticking to an old logo; it's a shame they ever got away from it in the first place. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

But they don’t need a buffalo. They’re not the Bisons or the Bills, where they kind of need the animal rendering. Simplifying the identity down to the crosses swords and the B-sword would be fine.

You’d have a point if all they had was the buffalo as a logo. But they don’t they incorporate the sabers and use the buffalo to reference back to the city that doesn’t have a lot going for it. It’s better than putting a generic “B” monogram or being just crossed sabers by themselves

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Man, the Sabres’ crest is remarkably overrated. Cleaning up/simplifying the 1990s/‘00s designs would be a much better course of action.

35.png

twdheefvk2ogw2k2ghja.png

Just because they play in Buffalo does not mean they need to have a bison on their logo.

I dunno, something about the B-Sabre looks minor-league to me. Not sure why.

18 hours ago, monkeypower said:

D63pDwaW0AAhp8C.jpg

This looks better than their main logo.  They've used the cleaned up version of the bison (from the Winter Classic) and brought out some significantly improved swords with some actual definition.  If they were smart, they'd create a new logo around these improvements.  Preferably with royal blue.

31 minutes ago, squamfan said:

canucks-jersey-design.png

This design was consider during the 1989 rebrand for the canucks

That's just a racy headline. Sure the 20 year old fan got to meet Brian Burke and showed him a sketch of his concept but theres no indication that the team took it seriously. They made prototypes for several other jerseys at that time - not for this one.

As seen in the anniversary logo, this should be the direction of a new primary.

It's times infinity better than the current crest that contains a dozen outlines. Source: Icethetics.

0520-buf-simp.png

This is the one with the polished up bison side by side comparison:

0520-buf-compare.png

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

This is the one with the polished up bison side by side comparison:

0520-buf-compare.png

For the most part I really appreciate the improvements made in the 2019 logo. The legs are vasty improved by the sharper contours (although I wish the tail would have received a similar treatment). Unfortunately the new design doubles down on the truly dreadful rendering of the buffalo's nose and the removal of the nostril (while totally understandable from a streamlining perspective) ends up making the buffalo look like Lord Voldemort. If they could make that one change I feel like the overall design would be improved significantly. 

By way of an illustration, I put together a quick mockup of the new 2019 Buffalo with a little rhinoplasty. Obviously I'm biased, but it seems like just a few simple tweaks to the contours of the face makes a huge difference. The buffalo has been without a fully formed nose for 50 years now...help a poor mammal out!

spacer.png

Edit: Just to clarify, these are both modifications of the 2019 logo (one with nostril, one without). I prefer the one with, but I wanted to demonstrate that even without the additional detail, the contours of the profile could be changed in such a way to provide a more prominent nose.

13 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

By way of an illustration, I put together a quick mockup of the new 2019 Buffalo with a little rhinoplasty. Obviously I'm biased, but it seems like just a few simple tweaks to the contours of the face makes a huge difference. The buffalo has been without a fully formed nose for 50 years now...help a poor mammal out!

spacer.png

That's really nice!

Basically, the Buffalo Sabres need to do what the Arizona Cardinals did.

12 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

spacer.png

Edit: Just to clarify, these are both modifications of the 2019 logo (one with nostril, one without). I prefer the one with, but I wanted to demonstrate that even without the additional detail, the contours of the profile could be changed in such a way to provide a more prominent nose.

I think the changes to the “original” logo (it’s not actually the 1970 logo) show that unnecessary details just distract from the eye, horn, and the implied forward motion.

I always loved the updated Buffalo in the Celsius designs concept from when they were first switching back to blue and gold. 

spacer.png

this is a newer version of it but still. It makes that blue mark in the face look more like the definition of the nose instead of a weird mouth. 

On 5/22/2019 at 7:20 PM, B-mer said:

I always loved the updated Buffalo in the Celsius designs concept from when they were first switching back to blue and gold. 

spacer.png

this is a newer version of it but still. It makes that blue mark in the face look more like the definition of the nose instead of a weird mouth. 

The bouncing cotton ball.  Those were bad then and they haven't aged well.

Archived