Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Putting "Wrigleyville" on the chest and then doing a whole campaign around the 77 neighborhoods is pretty odd, and I'm not sure this is a great fit for the Cubs, but I actually think the aesthetic of this is really strong in a vacuum. Especially with high socks, there's a good color balance, the navy pants work.

TBH, I think this could have been really strong as a bit of a faux-back with the "C-star" logo on the chest.

Hasn't the area been vastly redeveloped in the last decade, with many local Mainstays being bought out or forced to sell? It's no longer a neighborhood ballpark when they took away the apartment viewing seating

It's all Nike speak and I'm surprised it's working. 100% a gimmick. 

I know there's a schedule out but imagine the cubs are playing the Jay's and they walk out looking like that at home, and the away team is in white? It's the same messiness messing up the NBA 

These are ok, I would have used a more royal blue and red instead of navy. And I agree, exposed socks make a huge difference. Dark pants in pajama mode looks like 💩.  

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Eh, this is a no thanks from me.

Although the cap, dark pants, and light blue sleeves improve the overall look a ton, the base idea is still too bland to begin with. High socks also greatly improve the look, although I wish Stance would go away yesterday.

Even though the Wrigley sign was originally blue (something I did not know before that image was posted), it probably would have been better to focus on the iconic red that it is now if they wanted to go in that direction.

It is interesting overall though to see MLB open up to the idea of dark monochrome uniforms more, it definitely opens up the design possibilities.

Worst of the batch so far. Look, if you have to take part in a marketing gimmick, at least commit to it. Make something that actually looks really good (Miami), or something that's different/borderline sacrilegious (Boston). This Cubs uniform just looks like "we had to come up with something." 

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think the squatchee is navy so it doesn't look like an exact copy of the Blue Jays' alt hat, and it doesn't have a red squatchee so it doesn't look like a copy of the Anaheim Angels' 1997-2001 alt hat (with that said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels reverse-retroing it and using a modified-color version of the current logo on navy/light blue hat for an alt).  

You’re overthinking it.  New Era has been running with the “button matches the crown, not the contrasting brim” style for years now.  Even in throwbacks where that wasn’t the style. 

They seem to want to make it their trademark.  Which kinda fits with this Nike experiment.  

11 hours ago, NormMacdonald said:

Minnesota doesn't have that iconic flag or single major city luxury. Do you slap Twin Cities on the front and alienate the outstaters? Do you try to pander to the whole state?

Minnesota will be north star/L'Etoile du Nord, Boundary Waters, or Prince related. My gut is the French state motto on a dark jersey. Remind me in a year.

4 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

No thanks. Wrigleyville sounds stupid.

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

one more awful City Connect uniform and I’m switching to NPB.  I can’t stand it of seeing my team Red Sox wearing yellow.

I can't stand seeing the Red Sox and White Sox not wear red and white socks, respectively.

23 hours ago, ltravisjr said:

Sorry, off topic but dang, I'm struck by the difference of the look of the rough edged athlete of the past compared to the athlete of today. Its like sports was war back then but showtime today.

ErVn2uzWMAE0RWE.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

11 hours ago, O.C.D said:

That updated Miami script is what should be on the away jerseys. Those drop shadow numbers are an upgrade too

Pretty much everything about it is an upgrade. But I'm really in love with the Miami script. A huge improvement over the standard one.

Archived