Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

On 12/24/2019 at 3:48 PM, Gothamite said:

You've had the horse every bit as long as the Broncos and the shield even longer than the Raiders.  Why would you want to cede those?

That would be like saying "the Packers should ditch their logo because the rival Bears also use an elliptical letter on their helmets."

They already ceded it by not using a horse or a shield for 40+ years, while their rivals have continually used them and done much more to imprint themselves as relevant than the Chargers. And both those teams also use it on the helmet, as opposed to the Chargers. In the NFL, a shield=Raiders, a horse=Broncos. There’s no way the Chargers can make up lost ground. It would be like a team starting off in Los Angeles, leaving for 50 years while other teams played there and established a fan base, and then coming back hoping to still find some people willing to root for you. The fanbase has already been taken and you will never be more than second best now

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

In the NFL, a shield=Raiders, a horse=Broncos

I feel like the Raiders aren’t exactly known for the shield part of the logo... A football-playing pirate, yes, but a shield, no. 

The Broncos on the other hand are pretty well known for the horse. As they should be. But teams can share some same symbolism in a league, and even within a division. I mean the Blues and the Preds both have a little bit of a music flair to their looks, heck most baseball teams seem like they’re navy and red. The Chargers at least have a bold, contrasting color scheme from both the Broncos and the Raiders. No one is really gonna get those teams confused. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That would be pretty dumb.  Which I wouldn’t put past Davis, but I’d expect the NFL to push back. 

If they want to tweak it to fix a few of the flaws and make it more easily reproducible by consolidating some of the thin lines into some thicker ones, then this would be the time to do it, but other than that, it'd be brand suicide to change that logo, which is the only mark on their helmet, which is currently in that mystical "iconic" class.

I've read some posts that suggest that they could replace RAIDERS on the shield with LAS VEGAS - that would be dumb too.  They're the Raiders.  They're a brand that's bigger than any location.  There's no need to play up Las Vegas.  I can't think of too many other situations like that in North America, where the location identifier is almost always used, and is a key part of a team's identity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The white-horned helmet and blue pants really do look great and work well together. Bring in a white and blue version of their classic home jersey, and that uniform is miles better than the road version of that set. I also love the connection to the Fearsome Foursome. The more I think about it, the more I hope they do blue and yellow at home and white and blue on the road, or at the very least, as an alternate look.

I mean there is precedent for this, the NY Giants a blue white team at home and a white red team on the road.  I wouldn't be against it.

20 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I mean there is precedent for this, the NY Giants a blue white team at home and a white red team on the road.  I wouldn't be against it.

Definitely. I think the only hurdle for some people would be having two helmets that are so different (well, really just the same graphic but in a different color).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The white-horned helmet looks good.  I'm old enough to remember the Fearsome Foursome days and I remember the Rams tended to wear white jerseys more than blue jerseys.  The blue jerseys from that era had different stripes than the white jerseys and IMO the white jerseys looked superior.  Anyway, I think the Rams look better in white jerseys over navy pants than do other teams (Pats, Broncos).

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 12/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, andrewharrington said:

The white-horned helmet and blue pants really do look great and work well together. Bring in a white and blue version of their classic home jersey, and that uniform is miles better than the road version of that set. I also love the connection to the Fearsome Foursome. The more I think about it, the more I hope they do blue and yellow at home and white and blue on the road, or at the very least, as an alternate look.

The problem with the current set is that they look like 2 completely different teams at home vs on the road, so this wouldn't solve any of that. Either go royal & yellow full time or go navy & white full time, otherwise they'll just be trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Really like the special endzone for the last game at the Coliseum the Rams are using.

And I really do hope that this is a sign of them sticking with blue and yellow because everyone I know thinks of the team as a blue and yellow team not blue and white or navy and gold or whatever hideous combination Nike is gonna give them like electric blue and volt yellow or whatever the hell it's called. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

53 minutes ago, kimball said:

Was there really a question of them NOT going back to blue and gold?

Actually, yes. Quite a few folks (okay the sample size is via Twitter) would love them to go back to blue and white. A small group - I can’t believe I’m about to say this - would love to see them in black uniforms. Hopefully that’s a HELL NO.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I'm just going to guess that it'll be a more dark royal, kinda like the Giants. They could definitely screw up the uniforms, but they couldn't possibly screw up on the colors. The fact that the Colosseum logo is in royal and gold has me optimistic.

It will likely end up being similar to what the Lakers did with their most recent re-design. They know most fans want the classic set back, but they'll try and make just enough unnecessary changes so that fans who already own the throwbacks will feel obligated to buy the new jerseys. 

All they need to do is update the helmet colour to match the jerseys, just like the Giants did. 

The vibe I'm getting from the logo and end zones is an update of the old LA uni, dark royal and athletic gold, with a strong amount of white. 

Actually, it might even be dark royal and white with athletic gold the third color. 

Archived