NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They’re pretty consistent, IMO... red stripes with the middle stripe being the same as the number color (and the inverse of the jersey color)

They may be consistent, but they don't look as good as the other option. Let's look at LSU for example...

LSU football: Joe Burrow is Tigers' QB Renaissance man - Sports Illustrated

Their uniforms would be an eyesore if the purple and yellow were flipped. The current Pats would look better with the darker color on the outside. Miami suffers from this problem too on their white pants in contrast to their helmets. It's usually best to have the darker color outline the lighter color when it comes to striping on a white or grey jersey.

Grading the Miami Hurricanes vs. UAB: D'Eriq King's talents are quite  evident – The Athletic

• Like 4

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

They may be consistent, but they don't look as good as the other option. Let's look at LSU for example...

LSU football: Joe Burrow is Tigers' QB Renaissance man - Sports Illustrated

Their uniforms would be an eyesore if the purple and yellow were flipped. The current Pats would look better with the darker color on the outside. Miami suffers from this problem too on their white pants in contrast to their helmets. It's usually best to have the darker color outline the lighter color when it comes to striping on a white or grey jersey.

The Browns' white pants have always looked better as orange/brown/orange.

There's Chubb! There's Hunt! There's...get this...some defense! Browns win!  – Terry Pluto - cleveland.com

The Hurricanes used to wear orange-green-orange on the helmet and it didn't look awful:

Miami Hurricanes Authentic Throwback Football Helmet 1977 | Football  helmets, Miami hurricanes, Helmet

The Patriots' silver pants were always red/navy/red stripes, and if they wear the silver pants this year, the stripes will again be red/navy/red. If the Pats were to wear white jerseys with silver pants, both sets of stripes should be red/navy/red. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Browns' white pants have always looked better as orange/brown/orange

There's Chubb! There's Hunt! There's...get this...some defense! Browns win!  – Terry Pluto - cleveland.com

As traditional as it is, I've got to disagree. I feel like I've mentioned this several times already, but it should really be Brown/Orange/Brown. on the all white combo, it makes the pants clash with the jerseys, which are B/O/B/O/B, dark surrounding light. would it look much better? Not really, but it would definitely be more consistent and stick out less.

• Like 6

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

2 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

As traditional as it is, I've got to disagree. I feel like I've mentioned this several times already, but it should really be Brown/Orange/Brown. on the all white combo, it makes the pants clash with the jerseys, which are B/O/B/O/B, dark surrounding light. would it look much better? Not really, but it would definitely be more consistent and stick out less.

That's fair, but the Browns have made two orange stripes a defining mark. You see it on the brown pants and the hanger effect, and the sleeve stripes have two orange stripes on both the home and road jersey. 

There are lots of ways to look at stripes on jerseys, and it all comes down to personal preference. 

• Like 3

I don't like white pants on the Browns at all

(the orange pants are the only ones they really need) - but if they have to have them, brown-orange-brown stripes are definitely better than the alternative, which just looks off.

spacer.png

Theoretically, they could also do Florida Gators-style "floating stripes" (orange-brown-white-brown-orange) to match the helmet and that would look better too.

• Like 7

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm not going to get into why the Browns orange-brown-orange stripes are correct again because I've done that too many times. The real issue with their pants is the stripe is too thick. They need to go back to what they had in the 80's, which was a thinner stripe, similar to what the Chiefs use. Fits the old school look better and because the size differs from the helmet it doesn't need to be consistent. 

What the Pats should do

spacer.png

Single outlined numbers, the stripe mimics the stripe on the American flag (and the logo) and is consistent on every background, and you don't have that ugly red-blue-red stripe anywhere. Also replaces the useless repeating logo on the sleeves with numbers. 

• Like 21

PvO6ZWJ.png

36 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Theoretically, they could also do Florida Gators-style "floating stripes" (orange-brown-white-brown-orange) to match the helmet and that would look better too.

I would take the current Browns stripes 1000000 times out of 1000000 over a floating stripes idea. Floating stripes are great for Florida and (to a lesser degree) Ohio State, but the Browns have too much history to copy an idea like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PERRIN said:

48 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I don't like white pants on the Browns at all

(the orange pants are the only ones they really need) - but if they have to have them, brown-orange-brown stripes are definitely better than the alternative, which just looks off.

spacer.png

This uni (is that William Green?) looks too brown-heavy to me. Orange trimmed in brown on the pants makes the helmet look out of place, at least with the brown jersey. You need the extra orange on the pants to balance the helmet and hold up against jersey and socks. An orange-dominant pant stripe or orange socks are the best way to do it, and I don’t see the Browns going for orange socks with Cincinnati in the div.

• Like 8

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

54 minutes ago, Sport said:

I'm not going to get into why the Browns orange-brown-orange stripes are correct again because I've done that too many times. The real issue with their pants is the stripe is too thick. They need to go back to what they had in the 80's, which was a thinner stripe, similar to what the Chiefs use. Fits the old school look better and because the size differs from the helmet it doesn't need to be consistent. 

What the Pats should do

spacer.png

Single outlined numbers, the stripe mimics the stripe on the American flag and is consistent on every background, and you don't have that ugly red-blue-red stripe anywhere. Also replaces the useless repeating logo on the sleeves with numbers. 

This is exactly what I’ve always thought! Red stripes on a white jersey are kinda covered by the 49ers and Giants, but the blue numbers help a lot (and the Giants should change anyway).

56 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t see the Browns going for orange socks with Cincinnati in the div.

They wore orange socks with the brown-over-white combo sometimes with their last set:

spacer.png

IMO, it works really well, but the socks should have stripes to match the helmet.

• Like 4

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

This is exactly what I’ve always thought! Red stripes on a white jersey are kinda covered by the 49ers and Giants, but the blue numbers help a lot (and the Giants should change anyway).

I think it's a nice cleaned up design but I get too much of a ole miss vibe from the gray pants/white jersey and given miss' past association with the confederacy I would go a different direction.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

I think it's a nice cleaned up design but I get too much of a ole miss vibe from the gray pants/white jersey and given miss' past association with the confederacy I would go a different direction.

Or you could just see it for what it is as a nice looking football uniform that has absolutely nothing to do with Ole Miss or the freaking Confederacy. It’s not that deep.

• Like 8

On 4/22/2021 at 10:41 AM, WSU151 said:

Random memory on player numbers:

Does anyone remember why Michael Jackson (RIP) of the Browns/Ravens was able to wear #1 as a WR in 1991 and 1992? He changed in 1993 due to the rules, but I'm not sure I've ever heard why he was able to get #1 for regular season games in the first place, as I don't remember many (if any) other WRs wearing single digits at that time. 

Amazon.com: Football NFL 1991 Pro Set Platinum #292 Michael Jackson #292 NM  RC Rookie Browns: Collectibles & Fine Art 

Another find of weird numbers for WRs in the 1990s, due to discussion of number changes this year:

WR/KR Clarence Verdin wore #2 for the Falcons in 1994...all of the 80s were taken up, but strangely no one on the team wore a number in the teens.

1994 Verdin

Clarence Verdin of the Atlanta Falcons returns a kickoff against the...  News Photo - Getty Images

On 5/1/2021 at 12:05 PM, NicDB said:

Looks like we have at least one receiver slated to wear a single digit.  The Packers new A. Rodgers will wear the old A. Rodgers' college number.

spacer.png

Will he even still be a Packer? With all the rumors circulating about his situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Or you could just see it for what it is as a nice looking football uniform that has absolutely nothing to do with Ole Miss or the freaking Confederacy. It’s not that deep.

I did see it for what it was and made the mental connection rather quickly it's not a reach to think that the concept is not a good fit for a franchise named the new england patriots. 

4 hours ago, bbush24 said:

The fact that real human beings with brains said "What's the difference?" when the new uniforms came out will never not amaze me.

spacer.pngspacer.png

It's the exact same picture

On a side note, the pants on the bottom picture are straight up see through. It really irks me that Nike and other companies make their fabric as thin as possible (to the point of being see through) and charge the same amount of money to produce them on field and commercially. I know they have their word salad explanations about space age polymers and moister wicking technology, but the end product feels insubstantial in your hands compared to the uniforms of 10 years ago

• Like 9