Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

*goes to the fridge for another beer*

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Brass said:

No team will ever win a Stanley Cup with Tuukka Rask as their starting goaltender.

That was so much more on the defense than it was Rask. The two goals at the end were Chara and Carlo leaving Matthews wide open on the doorstep, and Acciari deflecting in a shot fromthe point.

if anything will prevent the Bruins from winning the Cup, it’s the Backes/Johansson line. Almost guaranteed, when the Leafs had extended possession in the zone, that line was on the ice.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Still trying to figure out how the Bruins won that game. Good to see the first line not look hungover and blind in one eye. Get ready for game 7, I need rest.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

No way Bruins - Leafs doesn't go 7 (again). 

34 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

That was so much more on the defense than it was Rask. The two goals at the end were Chara and Carlo leaving Matthews wide open on the doorstep, and Acciari deflecting in a shot fromthe point.

if anything will prevent the Bruins from winning the Cup, it’s the Backes/Johansson line. Almost guaranteed, when the Leafs had extended possession in the zone, that line was on the ice.

The 4th line is definitely killing them. Series could likely ride on if Kuraly can get healthy. 

Never liked them giving up Donato, hate it even more now since Johansson hasn't done :censored:.   

Side Note; Guess who scored Club tickets for Games 5!

Spoiler

Not this guy, but someone is taking me! 😄

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well the Leafs made a game of it at the end. That's promising. All tied up. Onto Boston.

Go Leafs go!

Your boys need to win this series. I don’t want the Jackets to play Boston in the next round...wait, did I just mention the Jackets and next round in the same sentence? OK, that’s going to take some getting used to. Anyway, I think I’d rather play Toronto in round two. (Ha. It’s neat being able to say that) You know what? On second thought, I don’t want to play anyone in the next round. Let’s just start printing the “2018-19 Stanley Cup Playoff Series Winners” banners and go home. Our work here is done. B)

BB52Big.jpg

39 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Your boys need to win this series. I don’t want the Jackets to play Boston in the next round...wait, did I just mention the Jackets and next round in the same sentence? OK, that’s going to take some getting used to. Anyway, I think I’d rather play Toronto in round two. (Ha. It’s neat being able to say that) You know what? On second thought, I don’t want to play anyone in the next round. Let’s just start printing the “2018-19 Stanley Cup Playoff Series Winners” banners and go home. Our work here is done. B)

Oh but your work's not done and deep down you really do want another round, don't you? What you don't understand yet is the fatigue that comes w/ a deep Stanley Cup run. Every other night for two plus months as the stakes get higher and the beards get longer and the crowds get louder and the nights get longer really takes it's toll after a while. But it's the best vicious cycle ever, and more than worth it. I'm only saying this to you at 11:55 on a Wednesday because I'm bored and because the Jackets scare the crap out of me. Don't exactly doubt a deep Cinderella run, my friend, and yes hope for the leafs ;).

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

2 hours ago, Bruins said:

Oh but your work's not done and deep down you really do want another round, don't you? What you don't understand yet is the fatigue that comes w/ a deep Stanley Cup run. Every other night for two plus months as the stakes get higher and the beards get longer and the crowds get louder and the nights get longer really takes it's toll after a while. But it's the best vicious cycle ever, and more than worth it. I'm only saying this to you at 11:55 on a Wednesday because I'm bored and because the Jackets scare the crap out of me. Don't exactly doubt a deep Cinderella run, my friend, and yes hope for the leafs ;).

Ummm....I was totally joking. Trust me, I fully understand following a team on a long playoff run. I've been on a few over the years. My guess is you aren't aware of my "hockey history." I was a Rangers fan from 1992-2011. (I lived in UpState NY from 1990-97.)  I moved back to Ohio in the fall of 1997. The Blue Jackets didn't exist yet so I stuck with the Rangers, Long story short, the lost season lockout happened and I completely lost interest in the NHL. By the time the league came back, my interest was gone. It took a couple more seasons before I started getting mildly interested in the game again. It would be another couple years before I was fully back onboard as an NHL fan. By that point I'd been back in Ohio for over 10 years and being a Rangers fan wasn't as much fun as it used to be so I decided to make the switch to my "hometown" team. When the Jackets were still in the West, I still rooted for the Rangers a little, but it was nothing like it was before. When the Jackets were moved to the East and dropped into the same division as the Rangers, I decided I was done with the fan of two teams thing, I had more fun rooting for the Jackets, and here we are. 

Point being, none of this is "new" to me. Being here with the Jackets has been a lot more fun that it ever was with the Rangers. There's just something better about it being your "hometown team." 

BB52Big.jpg

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I've never had the antipathy for the Penguins and their fans that a lot of people have, partly because I really like Pittsburgh as a city and as a Hawks fan I can empathize with the existential crises their organization has had and has overcome, so I'm sad that they may be winding down. 

I have enough antipathy for the both of us. The main difference is Penguins fans never appreciated the success as much as Blackhawks fans did. Obviously I have no evidence for that, but how could they? 2009 is only 17 years removed from the previous cup. They went straight from Lemieux (plus Jagr) to Crosby (plus Malkin) with like a minute of bad hockey in-between. And they behaved like obnoxious entitled puds about it the entire time. A drunk Blackhawks fan in an ebay knockoff jersey never vomited on my shoes at RBar or fell asleep drunk before the game at Nationwide Arena. Plus, if you bring a terrible towel to a hockey game you're just a :censored:ing a$$hole. Full stop. Obviously I'm only talking about the bad apples, but there seems to be a higher percentage of bad apples in the Penguins base than in others. 

Also the style of play, the way the Penguins play where they know exactly the edge they can go, which is farther than most teams are allowed, for some reason, while still getting away with things always felt cheaper and slimier than the Blackhawks, who mostly won by playing sound defense and skilled offense. The Blackhawks way of winning felt more noble, I suppose. 

Pittsburgh is a cool city. My sister and brother-in-law live there and really love living there. She's a student at Pitt Law School. She was at an event for school on Tuesday night and some dickhead bartender in a sports bar with a thousand TVs refused to put the game on for her on Tuesday night. Penguins fan. They're the worst.

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Ummm....I was totally joking. Trust me, I fully understand following a team on a long playoff run. I've been on a few over the years. My guess is you aren't aware of my "hockey history." I was a Rangers fan from 1992-2011. (I lived in UpState NY from 1990-97.)  I moved back to Ohio in the fall of 1997. The Blue Jackets didn't exist yet so I stuck with the Rangers, Long story short, the lost season lockout happened and I completely lost interest in the NHL. By the time the league came back, my interest was gone. It took a couple more seasons before I started getting mildly interested in the game again. It would be another couple years before I was fully back onboard as an NHL fan. By that point I'd been back in Ohio for over 10 years and being a Rangers fan wasn't as much fun as it used to be so I decided to make the switch to my "hometown" team. When the Jackets were still in the West, I still rooted for the Rangers a little, but it was nothing like it was before. When the Jackets were moved to the East and dropped into the same division as the Rangers, I decided I was done with the fan of two teams thing, I had more fun rooting for the Jackets, and here we are. 

Point being, none of this is "new" to me. Being here with the Jackets has been a lot more fun that it ever was with the Rangers. There's just something better about it being your "hometown team." 

Oh I knew you were joking, I was half-joking too, but sometimes a series win like that deserves a banner almost as much as a cup win. But whelp, I guess I shoulda figured that a guy with 36,000 posts wouldn't exactly be a noob to the playoffs. Sorry to insult your fandom, I'd wish you good luck but hopefully you'll be my mortal enemy in a week and a half.

Lz5f6vZ.png

Two interesting facts from the Islanders sweep.  First, the Islanders held the vaunted Penguins offense to 6 goals over 4 games for a 1.50 GAA.  Second, the Penguins played more time with an empty net than they did with the lead over the course of the four-game sweep.

Archived