Uniforms that frustrate and anger you

ThePeam

ClwRaJq.jpg

Love the Mavs, but their experimentation and stumbling across different shades of blue the past few seasons is frustrating. There's too much going on in their current road uni's- the silver numbers look out of place with the navy "DALLAS" and the white names. The homes are a bit better but the different blue shades look out of place as well.

They need to throw back and simplify the color scheme. Get rid of royal blue and silver. Straight up navy, kelly green and white.

Royal blue, green and white would be the way to go. The lighter shade of blue looks amazing.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general, uniforms frustrate me when their striping patterns have the lighter color outside and darker color in the middle... it also frustrates me when the pants stripes differ from the helmets more than they should. The biggest offender of BOTH of these issues: the Cleveland Browns' white pants.. please just put brown outside with orange in the middle.. at least that would correlate to the brown outside stripes on the helmet.. they could also go with white in the middle, then put a thin orange outside of Brown to fully emulate the helmet stripes..

Edit: disclaimer - sometimes the light/dark/light pattern works (i.e. South Carolina), I just typically prefer dark/light/dark..

Also, I'm generally not a big fan of the "stems" of color separating striping patterns when it differs from the striping patterns elsewhere on the uniform. Normally the helmet has the stem-free stripes and the sleeves and/or pants have the stems (i.e. LSU).. but the most annoying for me is the rare case where the helmet has the stems and the pants are stem-free (i.e. Auburn).. I mean, their striping is consistent on their helmet and both jerseys, but the pants come out of nowhere and have no space between the stripes like the helmet and jersey.. the only argument that could be made for consistency with the pants is that the home jersey is blue, which reverses the blue/white stripes surrounding the orange, resulting in a w/b/o/b/w, matching the b/o/b (on white) of the pants.. although I think this is a stretch to consider that as an appropriate consistency, and it still lacks consistency with the helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

In general, uniforms frustrate me when their striping patterns have the lighter color outside and darker color in the middle... it also frustrates me when the pants stripes differ from the helmets more than they should. The biggest offender of BOTH of these issues: the Cleveland Browns' white pants.. please just put brown outside with orange in the middle.. at least that would correlate to the brown outside stripes on the helmet.. they could also go with white in the middle, then put a thin orange outside of Brown to fully emulate the helmet stripes.

The Browns did that for a brief time

browns1.jpg

They also did this during that same era, which I didn't think looked as good.

Garcia-provides-positive-performance.jpg

I think the Browns should go back to the thin pants stripe they wore in the 80's. That way the thicknesses are different from the stripe on the helmet and you're not expecting them to match when they're not the same size.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In general, uniforms frustrate me when their striping patterns have the lighter color outside and darker color in the middle... it also frustrates me when the pants stripes differ from the helmets more than they should. The biggest offender of BOTH of these issues: the Cleveland Browns' white pants.. please just put brown outside with orange in the middle.. at least that would correlate to the brown outside stripes on the helmet.. they could also go with white in the middle, then put a thin orange outside of Brown to fully emulate the helmet stripes.

browns1.jpg

I think the Browns should go back to the thin pants stripe they wore in the 80's. That way the thicknesses are different from the stripe on the helmet and you're not expecting them to match when they're not the same size.

I remember that set. Lasted only one season IIRC. I think stripe consistency can be a nice way to pull a uniform together (80's Oilers), but can drag it down if you become too anal or if you let it dictate tiny little changes (see above). With design, I never think it's a good thing to become trapped in the minutia.

Plus, a little randomness and inconsistency can work, especially in an old design, or one that's trying to recall an old design. The best example to me is the Giants' road uniform... I know it makes no sense in comparison with the home. I don't care. IMO It has a charm that would get totally flushed if they insisted on shoehorning blue into it. The Dodgers red front number, the 49ers jerseys that lack gold, the UCLA helmets that lack sky blue, the Bears' various striping patterns, most gray facemasks... these are some of my favorite design decisions. Whenever I hear someone complain about these elements, I'm always grateful I don't have to drive cross country with them...that mindset drives me crazy.

Art ain't math.

browns1.jpg

I remember that set. Lasted only one season IIRC. I think stripe consistency can be a nice way to pull a uniform together (80's Oilers), but can drag it down if you become too anal or if you let it dictate tiny little changes (see above). With design, I never think it's a good thing to become trapped in the minutia.

Plus, a little randomness and inconsistency can work, especially in an old design, or one that's trying to recall an old design. The best example to me is the Giants' road uniform... I know it makes no sense in comparison with the home. I don't care. IMO It has a charm that would get totally flushed if they insisted on shoehorning blue into it. The Dodgers red front number, the 49ers jerseys that lack gold, the UCLA helmets that lack sky blue, the Bears' various striping patterns, most gray facemasks... these are some of my favorite design decisions. Whenever I hear someone complain about these elements, I'm always grateful I don't have to drive cross country with them...that mindset drives me crazy.

Art ain't math.

Certainly not, though some cohesion is nice. Admittedly, there are cases where I excuse inconsistency for the sake of history/quirkiness (prime example: the Habs' home and roads), but cases like the Giants go too far. To have one jersey be all blue and the other all red with completely different striping patterns looks woefully amateurish.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Calgary Stampeders misuse of black.

Dump the black helmets & the black pants.

Bring back red for the numbers on the road unis.

At least they dumped the bibs they used to have.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

As others have said, pajama pants in baseball look ridiculous, and I would add excessively baggy shorts in basketball to that. The Red Sox should wear red socks, and the White Sox white. Cincinnati should also have red socks, and the Detroit Tigers' should have stripes, for that matter.

The BFBS era lives on in teams like the Calgary Stampeders and Calgary Flames, and yes, the Edmonton Eskimos should try harder to have matching stripes.

The Toronto Maple Leafs' "classic" uniform seems deliberately mismatched, stripewise: 2 on the jersey, none on the pants (used to be 1), and a trio of trios on the socks. The Buffalo Sabres should lose all silver outlines, everywhere, and give them to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Soccer teams with classic striped kits should not abandon the stripes on the backs, for the sake of the numbers. A blank area for clarity and contrast, fine, but why leave the whole back blank? Similarly, many of the classic looks are diluted and distorted by the many "updates" that come from changing suppliers, or just for marketing another version to too-loyal fans.

Finally, the blackout or whiteout approach usually makes the numbers and names illegible for anyone beyond the field of play, in any sport.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

I'm gonna throw something out here that I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. But seeing this team all year just frustrated me. And I'm not looking forward to seeing my Auburn Tigers face them in the Outback Bowl.

I can't stand that they removed the TV numbers. I know it's a little thing, but it ruins the look for me. I always thought Wisconsin looked a bit better than Nebraska for whatever reason, but this change reverses that for me.

wisconsin-vs-bowling-green-sept-20.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I hate how the Lions jerseys look like the black was added after the jersey had already been manufactured...an afterthought, if you will.

The black has not bothered me since the Lions debuted their new uniform in 2009, as it was designed from the start to incorporate black. Their 2003-2008 uniform (like the Jets in 1990) was an established look that just had black tacked onto it.

The current Bengals' look. Awesome helmet that I've always loved, cool colors, white and black pants are both pretty good...and then they have to have those STUPID white side panels on both the black and the orange jerseys. White-over-white or white-over-black both look decent...but their dark jerseys are depressing. I'm also not a huge fan of their number font or their current striped-B logo. But that helmet is to die for, and like I said, great color scheme, especially for the name. Just wish they'd tidy other things up. (Having more noticeable stripes on the sleeves like in the '90s would help somewhat.)

I'm gonna throw something out here that I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. But seeing this team all year just frustrated me. And I'm not looking forward to seeing my Auburn Tigers face them in the Outback Bowl.

I can't stand that they removed the TV numbers. I know it's a little thing, but it ruins the look for me. I always thought Wisconsin looked a bit better than Nebraska for whatever reason, but this change reverses that for me.

wisconsin-vs-bowling-green-sept-20.jpg

I can't stand the black stripes on Wisky's red (alternate, fortunately) helmet. Their school colors are red and white and they otherwise do a good job of keeping it that way. I know reversing the exact stripe pattern of the original wouldn't have quite the same "flow" as the original does, but I still think they should do that. The black on the helmet sticks out like a sore thumb.

The Patriots uniforms. I don't get why anyone on earth would like it other than the fact that they won superbowls wearing them. Team success while wearing a certain uniform does not make them better than other one that they had less success in. In other words, the red jerseys with the white helmet were much better.

Also, they need to update the logo on the front

I can't stand the black stripes on Wisky's red (alternate, fortunately) helmet. Their school colors are red and white and they otherwise do a good job of keeping it that way. I know reversing the exact stripe pattern of the original wouldn't have quite the same "flow" as the original does, but I still think they should do that. The black on the helmet sticks out like a sore thumb.

The original red helmet did just that...I am in phone so cannot post a pic. It was better.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

wisconsin-vs-bowling-green-sept-2o0.jpg

The original red helmet did just that...I am in phone so cannot post a pic. It was better.

maxresdefault.jpg

Archived